Finger strap ( I use it on my pinky)
Optio Leather bag.

04-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love my Manfrotto mini-tripod.
Tel-Wide viewfinder from a Yashica.
Wrist strap from an old P&S.
01 standard lens with the JCC Aluminum lens hood.
Substituted squeeze cap (25mm) for the screw on lens cap.
Tamrac bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Finger strap ( I use it on my pinky)
Optio Leather bag.
Ive had one of those finger straps ("the foto washing?") in my eBay cart for a month, debating whether to buy it or get a longer strap. How is working out for you?
04-03-2013, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Ive had one of those finger straps ("the foto washing?") in my eBay cart for a month, debating whether to buy it or get a longer strap. How is working out for you?
Ideal for the Q because the size.

04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Ideal for the Q because the size.
As you can see below, I don't have a strap (nor have I put my Aki-skin onto the Q yet, either!):

04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
As you can see below, I don't have a strap (nor have I put my Aki-skin onto the Q yet, either!):
But I do see a little foot sticking out from the bottom of that Q
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Manfrotto Pocket MP3 (larger unit allows use with more adapted lenses, and the K-01)
Olympus hand strap (nothing special)
Rockfish lens cap accommodates detachable cap keeper (essential if you are switching to and from adapted lenses).
2.8x LCD-V5 modified for Pentax with frame foam (added distance helps with far-sightedness, cushions for stability, blocks light, and protects screen area).
Vikuiti (3M Germany) screen protector fits perfectly (not seen) and resists bubbles (get the highest quality version - about $12 and arrives fast)

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 01-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My pimped out Q includes
1. 2.8x LCD-V5 LCD eye piece tripod hole modified to center to the Q screen
2. Tripod mount ring D (UTR3) E BAY altered to close tight on the adapter thanks to Scott (snostorm)
3. Pentax K to Q adapter
4. Finger loop, doubles as a slip ring for single lug camera strap, altered small dog collar from Petco
5. Over the shoulder Camera strap, dog leash from Petco
6. Manfrotto compact tripod MKC3-H01
7. Lens DAL 55-300 or lens as required

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
my pimped out q includes
1. 2.8x lcd-v5 lcd eye piece tripod hole modified to center to the q screen
2. Tripod mount ring d (utr3) e bay altered to close tight on the adapter thanks to scott (snostorm)
3. Pentax k to q adapter
4. Finger loop, doubles as a slip ring for single lug camera strap, altered small dog collar from petco
5. Over the shoulder camera strap, dog leash from petco
6. Manfrotto compact tripod mkc3-h01
7. Lens dal 55-300 or lens as required

hans
sunny beach!!!!
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bird-spotting rig.

IMGP2704
04-03-2013, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And for what it's worth, the DA70 looks totally badass :-)

Q + DA70 @ 40
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I was just posting asking for opinions on the adapted 70. Does it hold up to the crop? It certainly looks impressive.
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Forum Member

I really like the way the Q packs a lot of power into minimal size - particularly how little room is needed for a full kit. So in that spirit, here's today's Pimp My Q!

Let's start with the smallest lens I have that still includes adjustable focus; the D-mount Wollensak Cine Telephoto 25mm f/2.7:

This is a surprisingly capable little lens; soft at f/2.7, but sharpens right up at f/4, with nice contrasty color rendition. Below it, we see a GorillaPod Micro - not at all like its more famous wrap-around-anything big brother, but a very nice little tripod that needs hardly any space in your bag, and shifts to meet uncertain footing to boot. Unfortunately, the pivot means it doesn't automatically keep the Q level - hence the hotshoe-mount bubble level. All in all, nice and small...

Now, let's say you want to go outside in guerilla-street-photographer mode... and there, you run into the Wollensak's biggest drawback - bad flare issues. No problem! Time to switch lenses...

Here we have a C-mount Cosmicar 25mm f/1.9 - bigger and heavier than the Wollensak, but that makes the controls easier to operate in a quick-reaction street shoot... and the deep-set optics means it does a much better job handling flare. To help frame and shoot, let's add the Mansfield Tele-finder; while it's not a perfect framing match at 25mm, it is very close, and it looks cool to boot. A wrist-strap from an old Tower 8mm movie camera tops off the set.

But what if you want a wider field of view? No problem! Bring out the Kern-Paillard...

The D-mount Kern-Paillard Switar 12.5mm f/1.5 is nice and sharp with good color, and the wide aperture doesn't hurt either! (You'll want to stop down to f/2 or even f/2.8 for best sharpness, but it's still usable at f/1.5; just a little soft.) The black-and-silver color scheme looks very professional; this is a look you can take on the road, or take into the boardroom! Well, admittedly, the viewfinder might call a bit of attention to itself; with a wider FOV on the lens, we want a wider FOV on the viewfinder, so here we have an Accura Tele-Wide Finder with brightline frames for Wide and Tele. (Although my copy was sold by Accura, it seems identical to the Tele-Wide viewfinder sold in the Yashica teleconverter kit, mentioned here before.) It's big and bright and gold... hey, gold's always welcome, isn't it?

Okay, it's getting dark, time to move off the streets... time to party? Time for bling? Time for Elgeet.

The Elgeet 38mm D-mount lenses are the sharpest adapted lenses I've used on the Q, although they do blur pretty heavily in the corners. (Most of the time, I actually like the framing effect.) And this version, the Opto-Navitar 38mm f/1.8, is dressed to party; smooth matte silver body, set off by bright red lettering and a copper ring at the front, this lens wants attention and it's not afraid to take it! 38mm on the Q gives you a nice, long 209mm reach, able to get in with the band without, you know, getting in their face. As a cine lens, it's still quite small and easily handheld; but if you want a little more stabilizing, there's the Ultra-Pod we'll cover next entry.

You say 209mm isn't enough for you? That you want to go way out there? Well, we've got the answer for you, with a couple of 75mm beauties.

The Toyo Optics 12.5-75 Macro f/1.8 starts at the Switar's range and goes all the way out to 75mm, giving you an effective 412.5mm of reach to play with - and it looks bad doing it, too. This is a look that says 'I am going to shoot you and there is nothing you can do about it.' Sadly, the performance doesn't quite match up to the look; it gives nice rich color, but is pretty soft at 1.8 and doesn't get really sharp until about f/4. And as a TV lens, it's varifocal - so be sure to re-focus after you zoom! It's also fairly heavy on the Q; while you can still hand-shoot with it if you're careful, some stabilization help is always welcome. Enter the Ultra-Pod; this is my current favorite mini-tripod, light and easy to stow in a camera bag while still giving solid support. The velcro strap makes it easy to lash to a fence post, a tree branch, or any other object up to around 3 inches in diameter; very nice. Topping off the combo, a larger hotshoe-mounted level gives you that extra degree of angle awareness.

For a more restrained telephoto, try the Sun Telephoto 75mm f/3.2:

It's not as sharp as the Elgeet or as versatile as the Toyo, but it's much easier to hand-hold and about as sharp as the Toyo at the same f-stop. And while it doesn't have the same intimidation factor as the Toyo, it still says 'I mean business' in every line; its battle-scars just add character.

And that about wraps it up for this week's Pimp My Q! Tune in next week, when we see if even a cheesy reality show can kill the Q's looks with pink Hello Kitty bling! Until then...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 

Last edited by Travis Butler; 04-10-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Fixing image links
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

Argh. Sorry, couldn't get the images to show properly in-line as attachments.
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member