Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
For a first week I did nothing with it as I waited PK-Q adapter (the dumb one) to arrive (I bought body only). And listened my GF complaining about that I should have bought lens with it so she could have it. I promised to buy her white one with lens (so much for saving some money not to buy lens with it). Oh well. But when adapter arrived, I took it out with Samyang 85/1.4, Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro and K135/2.5 to test it for tele work, only to notice that only Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro was good enough for my use. Here are couple of first shots with it:

Even it does reasonably well qualitywise, It's not very practical setup, especially for longer shooting handheld. I may try it again with tripod when the summer comes closer. Until then I rely my K-5 + A*300/4 combo which is superior in every way.
What was wrong with the K135 and samyang 85/1.4. I can only guess CA but ......

04-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What was wrong with the K135 and samyang 85/1.4. I can only guess CA but ......
Yes, the CA. In some situations it was uncorrectable in Lightroom. Especially in bokeh areas. Also sharpness was not up to Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro. I did try those only wide open though. Samyang would have definitely got better stopped down in that small sensor, maybe I try it again but I don't see much advantage then as Tokina is quite good already wide open. I also managed to fix my K135 aperture mechanism so maybe I try that again also. Somehow the colors were off quite a bit also (heavy violet tint), never experienced this with K-5.
04-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
Yes, the CA. In some situations it was uncorrectable in Lightroom. Especially in bokeh areas. Also sharpness was not up to Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro. I did try those only wide open though. Samyang would have definitely got better stopped down in that small sensor, maybe I try it again but I don't see much advantage then as Tokina is quite good already wide open. I also managed to fix my K135 aperture mechanism so maybe I try that again also. Somehow the colors were off quite a bit also (heavy violet tint), never experienced this with K-5.

I've done the Samyang (Vivitar branded) 85 at f2.8 or so and its been plenty fine (and best at around 5.6 IMHO) on the Q with a dumb adapter. I have wondered how much better it might be with the Pentax adapter.
04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Got my Q yesterday. $279 from eBay with 3 batteries and a PKA --> Q adapter - not bad. Looks like new. First, I was impressed at how small it was. Next I showed my kids. "A baby camera!" they squealed. Then I took a few test snaps and put it aside, as I am not supposed to use it until next week. Cool little thing,though!

04-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, the first thing when I got my Q10 out of the box on Monday was that I dropped it and the 5-15mm lens is now on its way to the repair shop.
04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ouch AdrianM. That is a tough start. Do you have any other lenses for the Q? It would be tough to sit, waiting for the lens to return repaired. The Q is worth the wait..
thanks
barondla
The Q is fun.
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unpacked camera from box.
Upgraded firmware.
Attached wrist strap.
Charge battery.
Finally, I take a test shot of my room.
Next day bring camera out to field test.
04-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ouch AdrianM. That is a tough start. Do you have any other lenses for the Q? It would be tough to sit, waiting for the lens to return repaired. The Q is worth the wait..
thanks
barondla
The Q is fun.
Fortunately, I have the 01 prime as well, so I still can begin to enjoy the Q10.