Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the first thing you did with your Q when it arrived?

Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Q from B&H along with the Pentax adaptor. The tracker says it is in transit, so I'm hoping it arrives for the weekend

The real intent, although it does come with the 5-15 mm zoom, is to use it with my legacy long tele lenses, but that aside, what is the first thing you did with your Q when it came.

Please do not say charged the batteries or read the f¥€£!#& manual

I want the first photographic thing you did

04-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I want the first photographic thing you did
I'm going to ignore your wish and take it from the top.

The first thing I did was open the box and take the camera out. Then I noticed it was black and sent it back. (I had ordered the white version.)

When the white camera arrived I'm pretty sure the first thing I did was look at it a really long time to be completely sure I didn't just imagine that it was in fact white this time.

Then I took a picture of the lens cap. It was totally exciting.
04-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Lens Buying Addict

Bracketed shots around my house in Av and M. Tried some effects and set the front Dial.

Failed miserably at 200mm with my second Q and Converter.
04-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Brought a hood for each lens.
Bought a Manfrotto mini-tripod and left it attached.
Put a wrist strap from a P&S on the camera.
Updated the software -v1.11 is so much faster you must find a copy of that file.
Set the front dial (it really is a wonderful aspect of using a Q)
Shot in different lighting conditions and modes to get a feel for how the Q handles situations. Each firmware update (well, almost all of them) has necessitated repeating this process.

04-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Lowell,

My suggestion is to shoot a good bit with it with the 02 lens, both inside and outside and get a good feel for how the camera handles. . . Then update the firmware both for the body and the lens Immediately go out and replicate the shots that you took with the original FW. I guessing that you'll be shocked at the difference -- and will appreciate what Pentax has done with this camera.

After that, just set it up the way you want -- You probably won't need the manual -- it's that much like a Pentax DSLR. You'll want to do this after the FW update as this resets everything.

I'd then go online and order at least a couple of extra batteries. Wasabis have been good to me, and they're pretty reasonable in price, especially if you want a different charger. The batteries are dirt common and very inexpensive since they've been out for some time and fit at least a couple of older cameras.

After that, I'd just go out and play. . .

Welcome to the Quser ranks!!!

I think you're going to be surprised how much fun you're going to have with this little guy.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 04-04-2013 at 04:57 AM.
04-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My third-party batteries and charger had arrived about a week before my Q. So immediately after opening the box I was able to pop a fully loaded battery into the camera. Naturally, I set my preferred language and my time zone.

Then I immediately exited my home office and took two random shots. Here they are...Shots 1 and 2 out of my Q...

04-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Lowell,

My suggestion is to shoot a good bit with it with the 02 lens, both inside and outside and get a good feel for how the camera handles. . . Then update the firmware both for the body and the lens Immediately go out and replicate the shots that you took with the original FW. I guessing that you'll be shocked at the difference -- and will appreciate what Pentax has done with this camera.

After that, just set it up the way you want -- You probably won't need the manual -- it's that much like a Pentax DSLR. You'll want to do this after the FW update as this resets everything.

I'd then go online and order at least a couple of extra batteries. Wasabis have been good to me, and they're pretty reasonable in price, especially if you want a different charger. The batteries are dirt common and very inexpensive since they've been out for some time and fit at least a couple of older cameras.

After that, I'd just go out and play. . .

Welcome to the Quser ranks!!!

I think you're going to be surprised how much fun you're going to have with this little guy.

Scott
I'll second Scott's recommendation about both extra batteries and the Wasabi deal specifically. The Q's Achilles heel is power consumption. Since it used an off the shelf battery (ND50) they're cheap, well established, and easy to find.
04-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Lens Buying Addict

Adding: I actually did this first -- You could have done this before you got your Q, but if you haven't yet -

Read Barondla and crewl1's posts on the Q Forum.

04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Took some test shots of the cats--the standard initiation.
2. Realized that learning to shoot with it effectively was going to take some time.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
if you haven't yet - Read Barondla and crewl1's posts on the Q Forum.
Absolutely!
04-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Fondled it a bit while the battery charged and searched for the firmware updates.

..and they were right under my nose...

Pentax Q Firmware Version 1.10 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Q Firmware 1.11 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

I also downloaded the V1.01 firmware for the 01 lens and the 02 lens

Settings........

Updated to v1.10 in the camera and v1.01 for the lenses

everything reset with V1.10 so settings.... again

First picture tonight was an unremarkable snap in poor light of my old and tired Shih-tzu in his jammies.
Played with the filters and smart effect thingys. Wow. the flash works at 1/2000 !

shutter count = 4

Since firmware v1.11 seem to be OK so far except for resetting everything i'll probably do the upgrade then .... settings......again. and get out on the weekend with it.
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I stuck my FD 135/2 on it and took a hand held shot in the direction of the setting sun at a bird. The q neatly highlighted the bird and nearby branches in a thick purple hue.

My scope adapter finally arrived so I need to take the setup(FD 300/4 L this time) out on a tripod, find a bird in better lighting conditions and give it a real go.
04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Fondled it a bit while the battery charged and searched for the firmware updates.

..and they were right under my nose...

Pentax Q Firmware Version 1.10 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Q Firmware 1.11 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

I also downloaded the V1.01 firmware for the 01 lens and the 02 lens

Settings........

Updated to v1.10 in the camera and v1.01 for the lenses

Any special l way to update the lens???
04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbird720 Quote
Any special l way to update the lens???
Same method as the camera firmware BUT you must have that lens attached at the time of the update.
04-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Shot a bunch of pics in/outdoors in A, M & P modes plus movie mode to make sure camera was functional. Tested the various filters and iso capabilities and then made setting adjustments to suit my taste. Came indoors and updated firmware and fired off test shots. You will have fun with this camera.
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #15

For a first week I did nothing with it as I waited PK-Q adapter (the dumb one) to arrive (I bought body only). And listened my GF complaining about that I should have bought lens with it so she could have it. I promised to buy her white one with lens (so much for saving some money not to buy lens with it). Oh well. But when adapter arrived, I took it out with Samyang 85/1.4, Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro and K135/2.5 to test it for tele work, only to notice that only Tokina 90mm/2.5 macro was good enough for my use. Here are couple of first shots with it:

Even it does reasonably well qualitywise, It's not very practical setup, especially for longer shooting handheld. I may try it again with tripod when the summer comes closer. Until then I rely my K-5 + A*300/4 combo which is superior in every way.