Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just received my Q 06 lens about an hour ago and am pleased with its bokeh in this first test shot. Stopped down to f3.5.

Attached Images

04-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great! It's very smooth! The 06 have a good quality bokeh!
It's important know the size of the leaves, this affects the amount of blur. A portrait of the chest to the head is bigger, then there will be less bokeh (for the focus distance factor)

Last edited by ElvisQ; 04-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I am surprise no one mention this MS Optical Sonnetar 25mm f1.1.

I know the price is not for everyone.
New handmade Sonnetar 25mm f/1.1 for Pentax Q mount. | Mirrorless Rumors
04-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I find an photo of mepaca with the 06. The size of the dog is similar to a human portrait. The background is close, but the 06 does this blur enough to not be distracting. And the quality of bokeh is smooth. I really like it!

04-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
Great! It's very smooth! The 06 have a good quality bokeh!
It's important know the size of the leaves, this affects the amount of blur. A portrait of the chest to the head is bigger, then there will be less bokeh (for the focus distance factor)
The leaf that is facing the camera and is in focus is 4cm long, I just measured it. Sorry I cant post any portraits, my family dont like me posting their photos on internet.

If you the adapter route, make sure you get the Pentax branded adapter, as it has a leaf shutter built in, that is rather important as the Q takes 1/13th of a second to scan the sensor, it will be difficult to keep the subject still for that long.

All in all, I heartily recommend the 06 lens, its length of 45mm appears to be the limit of easy hand holding (for me atleast).
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote

I meantion it in the first post
04-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The early reports have been favorable for the 06 lens, and I would tend to say that will be a good first choice based on the non-intimidating small form factor and the speed of the lens.

I have done some experimenting with the 02, and it is sharp enough for portraits at maximum length, but the lack of speed and its pale tones on the long end leaves something to be desired. (Really, it is a good lens up to at least 10mm, though).

If you were to consider a zoom you hazard poor bokeh, but I have found that the 16-45 Pentax in the middle of the range will do quite well shot wide open - plenty sharp and decent bokeh for a zoom.

The other advice I'd give is try out your primes, even if you have to resort to longer lenses (based on FoV) than normal because you will tend to get softer blur - and faces tend look better slightly flattened as opposed to the fish-eye effect of getting too close (i.e. distance is usually more flattering than close-in perspective). In fact, for the majority of faces you can get away with taking photos with a 50mm lens on a Q from nearly across the room, and despite the un-portrait like 275mm equivalence you are still likely to get fairly flattering results - especially on head-only shots from about 7 feet. In this instance (50mm at close range), I dare say a real Dog can turn into a pretty face with just the right amount of background blur:

Q miscellany - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare
04-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've always liked my sonnetar a 135mm equiv 1.1, only reason I've kept the Q really, mini portrait cam with great bokeh... But it does cost like 3 times the price of the camera, lol...

04-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The leaf that is facing the camera and is in focus is 4cm long, I just measured it. Sorry I cant post any portraits, my family dont like me posting their photos on internet.

If you the adapter route, make sure you get the Pentax branded adapter, as it has a leaf shutter built in, that is rather important as the Q takes 1/13th of a second to scan the sensor, it will be difficult to keep the subject still for that long.

All in all, I heartily recommend the 06 lens, its length of 45mm appears to be the limit of easy hand holding (for me atleast).
Oh I did not know that the Q had no mechanical shutter in body!
So to adapt lenses I need an adapter with mechanical shutter?
04-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote

Wow that is a beautiful lens! Is it autofocus?
04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The Official K to Q adapter has a leaf shutter and solves that problem. It costs around $250 but those who have one are uniformly positive about it being worlds better than the non-Pentax adapters.
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Not necessarily, the limitation is the 1/13th sec sensor scan speed of the Q, if you are photographing a still life it will be okay to use third party adapter without leaf shutter, as the Q has electronic shutter.

I've never got as good results with third party adapter on Q, and rather than get the Pentax original adapter, I decided to get the 06 lens because of AF and small size, and Quteness.
04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for de photos Jim! I'm go to buy a Q with the 02 zoom, so your opinión is value for me!

Wow the Sonnetar is amazing! My big problem is the taxes that I pay for import this lens. $600 it's not to much, but with taxes I go to pay $1000 or more!
For example, the Q of $270 in B&H I go to pay for this $410.
Thats the reason I look cheap lenses, because I go to pay almost the double than the original price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Official K to Q adapter has a leaf shutter and solves that problem. It costs around $250 but those who have one are uniformly positive about it being worlds better than the non-Pentax adapters.
Thanks for the info Curly! I will hold it against you!

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Not necessarily, the limitation is the 1/13th sec sensor scan speed of the Q, if you are photographing a still life it will be okay to use third party adapter without leaf shutter, as the Q has electronic shutter.

I've never got as good results with third party adapter on Q, and rather than get the Pentax original adapter, I decided to get the 06 lens because of AF and small size, and Quteness.
Oh I understand. So the 06 it's the best option!
04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I meantion it in the first post
I missed that.
You can also look for some TV zoom lenses from canon, sony, tamron...
They are about the range of 10-100mm and usually with f1.4-f1.8.
04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

The limitation is real concerning the lack of a mechanical shutter, but it is easily overstated because the 1/13 scan rate sounds intimidating. In reality, this is only a problem related to extreme motion, and higher magnifications. Your actual shutter speed can still effectively result in sharp results. I am not a particularly steady shooter, but I have found zero jello-effect problems hand holding up to 100mm, and at least 75% good-to-excellent results in the 125-150mm (i.e. 600-825mm equivalence). Higher than that, it becomes a challenge to hand hold (but still an option even at 200mm).

This shot shows 120mm EXIF because that was what I set, but actually it was shot at about 145mm (with a 1970s zoom lens) - and the Pentax adapter clearly would not have produced anything sharper:

Q miscellany - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare

As for the Sonnetar shots above, I would say that the photographer did just fine artistically, but I have to say the bokeh is - umm - uninspiring at best. Would be interesting to see some shots compared with the 06 or the 16-45 - even though they are zooms - and ultra-cheap by comparison. Yes, the Sonnetar looks lovely, and I'm sure has a wonderful feel; but I'm yet to see a shot that inspires based on quality rendering.