Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Portrait lens for Q?

What lens do you recommend for portraits? I don't want a lot of bokeh, but neither distractives backgrounds.
I think the ideal focal lengh it's between 15mm to 25mm (85-135mm).
The 01 prime (8.5mm) looks a little short for this. But maybe I'm wrong.
The 06 zoom (15-45mm) it's great but a no so fast (ƒ16 equivalent) for blow out the background.
There are also many C Mount lenses very fast, but I don't know them.
Q mount lenses I only know the expensive Sonnetar 25mm 1.1. Is there any other like this?

I look at hundreds of photos of Q, but there are very few portraits and most do not have the background out of focus. If you can, upload portraits with the 01 and 06, these are the most interesting for the AF and quality image. Or upload portraits with manual lenses!

04-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go with the 06 zoom. It's F2.8, not F16, but you probably still won't get much bokeh. You'll need a DSLR for that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You could also try an adapted lens. There is a thread about the quality of the various adapted lenses on the Q that has some common and some exotic lenses reviewed here in the Q section.
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would go with the 06 zoom. It's F2.8, not F16, but you probably still won't get much bokeh. You'll need a DSLR for that
I really don't want a DSLR, but I don't know how much bokeh can get in a portrait with the 06, because I don't find a portrait example, I just see tiny flowers and toys.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You could also try an adapted lens. There is a thread about the quality of the various adapted lenses on the Q that has some common and some exotic lenses reviewed here in the Q section.
Yes, I look the sticky thread about manual lenses and also the thread about photos with Q. But there are very few portraits

04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the 06 zoom. It's F2.8, not F16
He never said it was f/16, he said it was f/16 equivalent. Why is it that almost no one (with some camera experience) fails to understand equivalence for focal length, yet almost no one understands it for aperture?

I generally don't upload pictures of people, and rarely take them. So no examples from me, sorry.
04-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Elvis,

IMO, Getting hung up in image equivalence arguments with the Q is a mistake. It might be somewhat useful in comparing similar formats, but with something as far removed as the Q's sensor format from 135mm format, it's self-defeating. You just won't find glass with the specs that you need to get equivalent images under similar shooting conditions. For portraits, you'll probably want to maintain perspective, so subject to camera distance will be important, and pretty much the same as you'd use with a 135mm DSLR, but subject to background distance will have to be increased, possibly significantly. Then the 06 Zoom will do nicely in the FL range that you specified, I'd think. With a Q system Quality line lens with an internal shutter, you should be able to use flash pretty well if needed.

Scott
04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
I really don't want a DSLR, but I don't know how much bokeh can get in a portrait with the 06, because I don't find a portrait example, I just see tiny flowers and toys.
The short answer is "hardly any". Pretend you're using a 15mm on a DSLR- you basically need to put the subject right in front of the lens in order to get visible bokeh. And you certainly don't want to do that for portraits, as it would introduce a great deal of geometric distortion.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

I saw one cool bokeh example with 06 on DPreview forum, i think. Still you need a far away background and can make "face only' portrait.

If you really can't live w/o bokeh but have DSRL-phobia just use BC mode :P

04-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't want a lot of bokeh, but neither distractives backgrounds.
you probably still won't get much bokeh.
I don't know how much bokeh
Not sure what you guys are talking about.
As far as i know bokeh is a form of blur characteristics, so are you looking with a lens with much character?
04-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a good bokeh example:
Blossom - Pentax User Photo Gallery

It's at 44mm, though, which would your subject to be really far away

Adam

04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Not sure what you guys are talking about.
As far as i know bokeh is a form of blur characteristics, so are you looking with a lens with much character?
The real issue with bokeh that most people do not understand AT ALL is that while bokeh is often described as better or worse with one lens or another, based upon the hardness or softness of the out of focus circles and how uniformly these are illuminated, there is another mo significant factor.

It is a function greatly of focal length and the impact of the change in perspective / background magnification when you reposition with a different lens to get the same subject size. Long telephotos result in larger out of focus bits in a background than wider lenses where perspective makes the subject large compared to background. As a result, a confused background turns into big blobs of soft color with a tele, or just into an out of focus mass of little blobs with a wide angle. Go long for portrait, the bokeh will be better
04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well ... the 06 is better than I thought! I think it's the best option.

Is BC a good filter? Or is the same as using Gaussian Blur in Photoshop?

I call bokeh to the background blur. Much bokeh means much blur. Of course there are different qualities of bokeh, depending on the lens and aperture blades.
04-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would also go with the 06 Zoom and increase the subject to camera distance, you should get nice out of focus background with tight headshots. The BC I find is fine but I use it on the lowest level just for ait for 'pop' you could get away with level 2 in certain shots but the third level is ridiculous.
I don't shoot RAW that often with the Q I do most of the processing in camera hence I haven't done a Gaussian Blur comparision to see which is best. I like the Q for fast quirky quick to post photos as apposed to my more deliberate photos shot with the DSLR.
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Tonto! (Is it your real name? because in spanish means dumm)

I find a new Pentax 25mm 1.4 C-Mount lens! And it's not expensive!
Pentax C22525KP 1" C Mount 25mm f/1.4 Manual Iris C22525KP

Someone use this Pentax lens?

PD: I hope don't brake a rule with the link
04-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot Tonto! (Is it your real name? because in spanish means dumm)

I find a new Pentax 25mm 1.4 C-Mount lens! And it's not expensive!
Pentax C22525KP 1" C Mount 25mm f/1.4 Manual Iris C22525KP

Someone use this Pentax lens?

PD: I hope don't brake a rule with the link
Nope, B&H is a sponsor here and has their own question and answer forum.