Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, those deaf, dumb & blind kids sure take a mean photograph!

Last edited by dadipentak; 04-15-2013 at 05:59 AM.
04-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Christmas has been observed over the past few days as the extras I ordered for my Q have started coming.

First it was generic spare batteries, including a charger thatis dual powered 100-240vAC and also 12v DC. Now I can play a lot more between recharges. Cost was $15 PM ebay.

Next was a third party tripod mount for canon 100/2.8 macro. As I did with my adaptor for the sigma 70-200(which is now back where it belongs) I lined it with leather to make up the gap between adaptor and body of the PK- P/Q adaptor. Works like a charm.

Still Waiting on the V5 hood.

I have played a little more especially now with focus peaking, to get better at Nailing focus. My impression is that with the K135/2.5 at F5.6 focus peaking h a range of about 4 inches when shooting subjects at 30 feet. I bet that a DOF calculator will tell me this too. I need to possibly focus wide open to make the best of it.(god I wish for automatic aperture)
04-19-2013, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have played a little more especially now with focus peaking, to get better at Nailing focus. My impression is that with the K135/2.5 at F5.6 focus peaking h a range of about 4 inches when shooting subjects at 30 feet. I bet that a DOF calculator will tell me this too. I need to possibly focus wide open to make the best of it.(god I wish for automatic aperture)
Once you get the hood it will help. I find using the focus assist to magnify the screen helps me more than peaking when shooting distant targets like birds.
In this case the white peaking tends to distort the area I want to see in greater detail such as the bird's feathers, so I can actually focus more accurately using the magnification.
If you havent set it up yet go to the Focus menu ad turn on MF assist to x4. you activate it with the OK button.
Also, go to the wrench menu 2 and uncheck Power Saving so the display will not dim while you are focusing.
04-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Once you get the hood it will help. I find using the focus assist to magnify the screen helps me more than peaking when shooting distant targets like birds.
In this case the white peaking tends to distort the area I want to see in greater detail such as the bird's feathers, so I can actually focus more accurately using the magnification.
If you havent set it up yet go to the Focus menu ad turn on MF assist to x4. you activate it with the OK button.
Also, go to the wrench menu 2 and uncheck Power Saving so the display will not dim while you are focusing.
Agreed, the V5 hood is on order, just waiting for Santa to bring it.

I also agree the 4x focus assist would be much better for distant subjects than focus peaking because it cant really nail the subject focus, the DOF for the "good enough focus" is just to great. and distant only needs to be 30-40 feet. I have had shots that I consider acceptable, using focus peaking, it is just not consistent enough.

the hint on the power save feature is good, and now that I have 2 spare batteries, i will try it.

05-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's been a while since I updated this. Much of the time has been spent with the K135/2.5 or my series 1 70-210/3.5 (version 1)

The zoom seems to give slightly better results because the images are bigger.

It still, for hand held, can't match the sharpness overall of my K5 and sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x TC, but I am using a setup less than 1 kilo against 3-4 kilos. The weight savings makes some things worth while. I find that the Q is good for near subjects hand held, but not so good so far with distant ones. Shake amplified by over enlarging/cropping is still. An issue.

For hand holding I have found an interesting arrangement. I use a canon 100/2.8 macro tripod mount, which allows you to set the mount at any angle. With the 70-210, I turn it sideways, foot at 90 degrees, and close to shutter release button. Makes for a simple but effective grip where I can hold the whole kit relatively balanced by the tripod foot, press the shutter with my right index finger, and focus /zoom the one touch zoom with my left hand. Pretty efficient, especially now that I have the V5hood