Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Hope for a micro 4/3 to Q adapter!

To manual lens junkies like me, this would be the Holy Grail of adapters for the Q. I already have an Olympus MFT camera, and adapters for at least 6 different mounts... to micro 4/3. Even though an individual adapter is cheap, I really don't want to buy another complete set for the Q.

I found this guy at ebay:
Adapters items in Redwood Components and Accessories store on eBay!

and he makes his own adapters (I think). I asked him about whether he would make MFT to Q, and he replied:

Dear Sir,
You are the second person to ask for one. It makes more sense than buying adapter. I am also evaluating but not sure if I will make one.
Please check with others as well. If I am planning to, I will let you know.
Thank You,
Rami

To which I have thought about it; making 1 adapter might cost a few bucks. Making a decent run of them might be a lot more cost-effective for him (as well as us). So I'm posting this here, in the hopes that others who want the same thing might also find and contact him. If we get enough people together, we might be able to get a few made.

04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also have some m4/3 lenses and camera. The biggest problem with an adapter may be that many m4/3 lenses wouldn't work. All of my Oly lenses focus by wire. On the adapter they would not focus at all. I have 1 Sigma that will manually focus without power (50-200). So you would have a m4/3>Q adapter that worked best with other lens adapters. Seems a small market at best.
thanks
barondla
04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I also have some m4/3 lenses and camera. The biggest problem with an adapter may be that many m4/3 lenses wouldn't work. All of my Oly lenses focus by wire. On the adapter they would not focus at all. I have 1 Sigma that will manually focus without power (50-200). So you would have a m4/3>Q adapter that worked best with other lens adapters. Seems a small market at best.
thanks
barondla
Barondla, finding an adapter to work with other adapters is exactly what I'm looking for. It's basically an extension tube, with rather strict dimensions and specific mountings at both ends. If you look at the adapters the guy is selling, they look like they were made in a small machine shop, instead of being one of a 10,000 piece run like the fotodiox adapters (for example). Sorta appears this might be a small-market type of seller. And even if he were to end up charging 40-50 bucks for it, it would be worth it to me, because I'd then have the ability to use all my lenses on the Q, just like on my Oly.

Don't mind my exuberance, it's the first time I've found anyone even considering making this adapter.
04-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Oh, and pardon my lack of an introduction. I'm a photography hobbyist who's long enjoyed taking pictures. I entered the DSLR market a few years back by grabbing a Sony A100, which is still in use by me (and which inherited the lenses I used on my Minolta Maxxum 7000). I enjoyed the Sony and it's in-body stabilization so much that I bought my son a 2nd hand Pentax K100D a couple years later (Pentax instead of Sony to keep his paws off my lenses, and also to explore using my brother's old Takumar primes). I'd tried other brands, but the in-body stabilization sold me on Sony Alpha, Pentax and Olympus (and the Olympus 4/3 cameras seemed a bit ... not quite what I wanted). But I also delved into adapters for old, $5 lenses (which is what legacy glass ran before the mirrorless market launched). Thus I scored a nearly complete set of Minolta Rokkor primes for pennies.
Even with a crappy lensed adapter, I really grew to love those old manual primes (I was a guy who hoped the infamous Seagull joke from the Rokkorfiles webpage would somehow come true). When Cameta on Amazon dropped the prices on their Olympus E PL-1 bodies, I felt like it was time for me to grab one. Turned out they worked beautifully (as many people have learned), and I started gobbling up legacy lenses whenever the price was right, and bought adapters as needed (the Canon FD mounts were another great bargain).

I've found about all the various penny-pincher lenses there are to be had, and my photography addiction has led me to two new directions- ten dollar manual, mechanical film bodies that can take the lenses I have (Like the Canon FT QL, the Pentax Spotmatic, the Minolta SRT202, and several more, all different mounts), and ... the Q.

I found the Q when it dropped below $300 with the 02 lens. I reasoned that while it was still quite a bit more expensive than my prior lens purchases, it had intoxicating telephoto possibilities... a 300mm f1.6 (my X-Fujinon 55mm f1.6)??? I wasn't gonna find THAT anywhere for near the price of the Q, and at this stage in my life buying photo gear is about my only vice so it was within budget. The firmware update allowing focus peaking and manual entry of the lens length was released the morning my Q was to be delivered, and I updated the camera the moment it came out of the box.

Jeez Pentax, you were so close... in-body stabilization of all lenses (why I prefer my Oly over the NEX), AND focus peaking (which is one of the NEX's big pluses)... and you can mount ANY manual lens with an adapter. A larger sensor and you could have stolen the legacy lens user market in entirety, I believe.

Oh well- so there ya go. I love my Q for what it is- a fun take-anywhere camera with good image quality, and with the ability to be a telephoto beast.. Currently, I just have the fotodiox Minolta MC/MD adapter with the tripod mount, and those work fine. And for what it's worth, I have enough lenses in the right range: 28mm, 35mm, 45mm, 50mm, 53mm (an Industar m39 mount), and 55mm, all f2.8 or lower. all are within easy handheld range for the Q, and half are f2 or below. I want to mount them on my Q!

04-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scooby Quote
A larger sensor and you could have stolen the legacy lens user market in entirety, I believe.
Ah... but with a larger sensor, you'd lose that crop factor that makes the Q the tele monster that it is. :-)

I love my two K-x's, and wouldn't part with them... but anymore about 90% of the time, I grab my Q. It's a great little camera, small sensor or not.
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by scooby
A larger sensor and you could have stolen the legacy lens user market in entirety, I believe.
Ah... but with a larger sensor, you'd lose that crop factor that makes the Q the tele monster that it is. :-)
While I love the Q for what it is, it's also a huge missed opportunity. Make this a larger device and it would be a tossup with the Olympus OM-D for best-looking camera. You'd have the in-body stabilization of the Oly combined with the focus-peaking of the NEX (and quite possibly the larger sensor and aspect too); it would be a killer. And that's only accounting for the legacy lenses; if you decided to retain a different lens mount (like Sony did with NEX), the three "serious" kit lenses are superior to the kits on other brands. Just make them a little larger to fit the larger sensor.

Who knows, we may still see a "full-size Q" one day. But don't get me wrong, I DO like my Q
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

You have plans to sell the micro 4/3 to Pentax-Q adapter?

I have not decided on M4/3-Q. It looks feasible and makes lot of sense. I will confirm it shortly.
Thank You,
Rami - ramir73