Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Download the original v1.11 firmware here

If anyone wants the original v1.11 firmware for the Q with it's vastly improved AF speed and performance, (and reported "tone expansion" feature bug detailed here.) I've uploaded it to a server for free download. To make it as simple as possible, I've uploaded the .bin file, rather than the .zip file... No unzipping necessary.

I don't know how long it will be until Pentax tweaks the bug out of this version of the firmware, but I figured some of the folks around here might want to use this version in the meantime.

By the way, (in case anyone doesn't know) this update will reset your camera's shutter count to zero and reset it to factory default settings. After upgrading, you'll need to set up your Q again with your personally customized settings. You may want to go through the menu and write your settings down before you upgrade.

To download, click this link.

THEN:

1) Click the grey "Download This File" button
2) enter the captcha code
3) click the grey "Download Now" button below the code you just entered to download the file.

Once the file is downloaded, here's how to upgrade the firmware:

Important: Make sure your camera battery is fully charged, and do not power off the camera before the process is complete, or you may damage your camera.

1) Copy the fwdc601p.bin file from your computer to the root directory of your SD card

2) Turn the camera power on.

3) Press MENU button to display MENU screen.

4) Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 3] menu screen.

5) Select [Firmware Version Info] in the [Set-up 3] menu then press the four-way controller right.
The firmware version for the camera and lens are displayed on the [Firmware Version Info] screen.

6) Press the four-way controller right to display update screen.

7) Press the four-way controller up to select [Start] and press OK button.
*If firmware file is not saved to SD card correctly, this screen will not be displayed.

8) Card access lamp will be blinked and display will be changed from [NOW LOADING] to [COMPLETE].
*Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
*Do not touch the lens unlock button while updating.

9) The camera will automatically turn OFF (After approx. 5 second)

10) Remove the SD card from camera.

You may confirm the version of firmware with above procedure, steps 2 thru 5.

Notes:
When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the Firmware file. You may delete the firmware file from the card (or format the card) after the upgrade is complete.

NOTICE: I'm not responsible for any bugs, or if you brick you camera... I've just provided the file as a service to Q owners who might want it.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

04-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice of you to do this for folks. I really don't use tone expansion and if folks here hadn't mentioned that bug I would probably have never noticed But, we all use the AF and its just amazingly better IMHO with this version. So, if you want the camera to be a LOT faster and don't mind loosing the tone expansion then this is a great firmware upgrade for your Q.