Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone consider two Pentax Pk-Q adapters?

The oem adapter I have works great for k mount lenses. Would love to use my OM glass with a leaf shutter. Hmm, it would be easy to change out PK mount, on adapter, for Olympus OM. Only very slight difference in infinity focus.My OM teles and macros would be unaffected.
thanks
barondla
The Q is fun.

04-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The oem adapter I have works great for k mount lenses. Would love to use my OM glass with a leaf shutter. Hmm, it would be easy to change out PK mount, on adapter, for Olympus OM. Only very slight difference in infinity focus.My OM teles and macros would be unaffected.
thanks
barondla
The Q is fun.
so what would you need to do to make the olympus lens work?
04-18-2013, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

You will need an OM mount TC to donate the body mount, remove the body mount from the OM TC, measure the thickness of the donor mount. Remove the K mount from the Pentax Oem K to Q adapter, measure the thickness of the mount. PK mount's register distance is 45.46mm while OM mount's register distance is 46mm, a difference of 0.44mm. The Pentax K to Q adapter will need extra shims added underneath the OM body mount for a net increase of 0.44mm, depending on the difference between the two body mount's thickness. If the PK body mount is thicker, the thickness of shims needed will be less than 0.44mm and visa versa.

You will also need to drill new screw holes on the OM mount to conform to the PK mount and may need longer mounting screws to accommodate the increase in the thickness of the mount. I successfully converted a Bushnell 400/6.3 Nikon F mount to K mount as a prelude to converting a Nikon 180/2.8 ED lens following the method described above before I managed to acquire a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 63B, 180/2.5.
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excanonfd, that is pretty much how I had it figured. The electronics, and shutter is in the back (Q section) of the adapter. This makes the PK mount easy to change. I have donor OM mounts. Don't have a spare Pentax adapter. Have to decide if using flash and ending jello is worth the price. Already have a generic Q-OM adapter.

The OM lens would also have to be set by the adapter to stop down. Not hard to do.
thanks for the help
barondla

04-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Still, it's a lot of money for another genuine adapter, though I guess the tripod mount can be shared. If I had a Zuiko 180/2.0 (haven't even seen one live yet) or have many quality OM mount lenses, converting the adapter is definitely the way to go instead of converting the OM lenses to PK and losing resale value of the OM lenses in the process.
04-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You will need an OM mount TC to donate the body mount, remove the body mount from the OM TC, measure the thickness of the donor mount. Remove the K mount from the Pentax Oem K to Q adapter, measure the thickness of the mount. PK mount's register distance is 45.46mm while OM mount's register distance is 46mm, a difference of 0.44mm. The Pentax K to Q adapter will need extra shims added underneath the OM body mount for a net increase of 0.44mm, depending on the difference between the two body mount's thickness. If the PK body mount is thicker, the thickness of shims needed will be less than 0.44mm and visa versa.

You will also need to drill new screw holes on the OM mount to conform to the PK mount and may need longer mounting screws to accommodate the increase in the thickness of the mount. I successfully converted a Bushnell 400/6.3 Nikon F mount to K mount as a prelude to converting a Nikon 180/2.8 ED lens following the method described above before I managed to acquire a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 63B, 180/2.5.
I suppose this would be the approach to adapting the OEM Pentax K to Q adapter to accept Nikon mount lenses, especially AIS and other legacy Nikkors.

The Nikon F flange distance is 46.5mm, so it would only need an additional .5mm (.94mm total) in the conversion.
04-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I suppose this would be the approach to adapting the OEM Pentax K to Q adapter to accept Nikon mount lenses, especially AIS and other legacy Nikkors.

The Nikon F flange distance is 46.5mm, so it would only need an additional .5mm (.94mm total) in the conversion.
Wow, you so smart!