Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Is Q the right camera?

I am current looking for a camera to travel with, and I'm thinking of getting a Q. I have a little old Optio that I have loved for years, so I'm hoping to get another Pentax. I would like something with decent zoom and still able to take lovely landscapes, all while not being bulky and cumbersome. Is the Q the right camera for me to get? Which lenses would you recommend? I'm thinking that I will probably only start out with one extra lens.

04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're interested in landscapes I'd recommend looking at a high-end compact instead, like the Fuji X20, Sony RX100, or even the Pentax MX-1. All these cameras, in my opinion, outperform the Q in terms of image quality and general usability (as they allow for one-handed operation and have larger sensors) as point-and-shoots. Where the Q really shines compared to these alternatives is telephoto "reach" with adapted lenses.

There are lots of users who are happy with the Q as a walkaround camera, however, so I would wait for more opinions before going one way or the other

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There are only two zooms 02 and 06 without using an adapter, the 02 28-80 (aprox.) comes with a lot of of kits. The 06 which is longer, will probably cost you more than you can get the Q not the Q10 kit for. An adapter will give you long reaches with cheap lenses but you will lose AF.
04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I love my Q, I've taken it places where hauling my monster (which isn't all that big but the Q is so small) isn't practical. I'm disabled (something I like to pretend isn't a problem except that it is but I digress). The Q allows me to be a photographer when my illnesses don't want to play along. It's incredibly portable and I am very happy with the picture quality. Much better than my old P&S. At the moment I only have the 02 lens, I picked it up from B&H on the cheap and they didn't have any 01 lens kits available. I picked up a genuine Q to K converter but I haven't had a chance to really play with it. I would suggest checking out the thread the Reach of the Q to see what folks far more experienced with the Q have been able to achieve. I did last month's single in challenge with my Q and 02 lens and that set can be seen here:
Single in March - a set on Flickr

04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As we speak sadly Q lacks a bit when it comes to wide angle if that is what you want. The 02 zoom works fine and the wide end is stronger than its tele end. There are adaptable C- and D-mount lenses though don't expect great resolution, though I've seen some nice landscaping with the Q Fish-eye lens.
My personal favorite between the 01 and the 02 lens is the 01 Prime, it's simply wonderful!
I got some pics here: Pentax Q - a set on Flickr
04-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you are new to Pentax, the Q with the 02 Standard Zoom, and possibly the 03 Fish-eye for the really wide stuff, and the 01 Standard Prime for lower light and higher IQ, will make an excellent compact travel kit.
If you already have some K-mount glass, consider grabbing a K-01 before they go forever. Three compact primes (21, 40, 70 is my preference) will give you great IQ for surprisingly little size.
04-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my Q & think that while the IQ isn't up to DSLR standards, it's still quite good. Quite a bit better than any point & shoot I've used, though I haven't used the best of the newest crop of point & shoots. I have two K-x DSLRs & I still use the Q much more than my DSLRs as a walkaround camera. I also love the design of the Q. Very well built, with well thought out controls.

I use the 02 zoom a lot on the Q. I'm quite satisfied with it's performance, and it's the equivalent of a 28-80 on a 35mm camera. Moderately wide to very short tele length. It may be all you need for most of your travels, but then again, it may not. You may also need to add the 06 zoom (roughly $300) for longer tele reach. OF course, if you add lenses you'll need a bag, and then it becomes less compact the more kit you have. The 03 fisheye is a great and tiny lens that is a blast to use & great for those times when the 02 zoom isn't wide enough.

If you want a one camera/one lens do-it-all solution, you might do well to look into a good bridge camera. The Pentax X-5 is designed like a DSLR & has a staggering 22-580mm equivalent lens. That would surely take care of about any focal length need you might have. Here's a review of the X-5.

Good luck & happy camera hunting!
04-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

Here is a good starter Q kit that just showed up on the site: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/222639-sale-pentax-q-extras.html

04-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
OF course, if you add lenses you'll need a bag, and then it becomes less compact the more kit you have.
Have you never heard of pockets man? I keep my Q, three lenses (01, 03 and 06) and a (very) tiny tripod in my pockets.

Last edited by drougge; 04-23-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
04-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Have you never heard of pockets man? I keep my Q, three lenses (01, 03 and 06) and a (very) tiny tripod in my pockets.
Change, pocketknife, keys... scratchy scratchy...
04-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Change, pocketknife, keys... scratchy scratchy...
Pockets, not pocket. (Which is not to say that I don't scratch my cameras, I most definitely do. But I try to keep stuff reasonably separate, and don't really consider myself fully dressed with less than four pockets. (Tiny little back pockets and the like don't count.))
04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Iceland, Pentax Q - Imgur

We took it to Iceland and took some great shots with it. Like others have said, bigger sensors have better quality, but that doesn't mean you can't take great pictures with a Q.
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Iceland, Pentax Q - Imgur

We took it to Iceland and took some great shots with it. Like others have said, bigger sensors have better quality, but that doesn't mean you can't take great pictures with a Q.
Great set of Iceland shots! Seriously would never have guessed that you did not use a 'bigger more capable' camera. Did you use the 02 lens mostly? I've had some pretty good luck with that lens lately.
04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bowdish67 Quote
Great set of Iceland shots! Seriously would never have guessed that you did not use a 'bigger more capable' camera. Did you use the 02 lens mostly? I've had some pretty good luck with that lens lately.
Girlfriend took all those shots with either the 02 or the 06. I bought it for her because her Sony point and shoot was really outdated. She loves it, and of all the shots between her and my k5, I think she has the most keepers.
04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter

The Q is the perfect camera for the OP. Carry the 02 & 06 lenses and you will be ready for most anything. You could add the tiny 03 fisheye and 01 prime for ultra wide shooting and very low light. All of this fits in your out stretched hand. Carry the complete system and barely notice it. True photographic freedom!
The Q is the future- enjoy it now.
thanks
barondla