Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finally beginning to like the Q

I've had my Q for quite sometime, and I've never really "gotten it" before. I bought it at almost the same time I bought my K-01, and I've been using my K-01 almost excluisvely. I haven't touched my Kx since I bought it, and the Q has been languishing. I've taken the Q to parties and bars, and places where I don't want to bring a large camera. But to be honest, up until now I've been very disappointed with the photos it takes there. It's just no good in low light, even with the 01 prime.

Well, a few weekends ago I went to DC for the end of the cherry blossom festival. The first day I took the K-01 out, with my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 attached. I took some great photos, and thought nothing of it. Yeah, I lugged around a camera bag, but I always do that, so it was no big deal.

Well, the second day I took the Q. Just to compare and contrast. I must say, it really shined. I have the Optio bag, that fits one lens and the Q, a spare battery and memory card. Basically the same kit I take for my K-01 in the daytime, but in a much, much smaller bag. Smaller, and SO MUCH LIGHTER. SO MUCH.

I had the 02 lens on the Q, and started taking photos as I walked around. Almost immediately I started feeling it. The camera is easy to use. It's small and tiny and light. And the depth of field is enormous stopped down a little. There was just something about the little camera that started to click. I didn't really play around with it much until we were headed back, but stopping down and using manual focus allowed me to make some blind street shots that turned out rather well. I was finally enjoying using the camera.

When I got home from my trip and loaded the photos on my computer, I stayed happy. These photos look great. I mean, I'm no pro photographer. In fact, these probably suck. But as far as vacation photos go, I'm happy.

Here are a few samples.

Charles.

04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great bridge shot. The Q is pretty darn good at the lowest ISO.
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You did great Charles, I really like the composition on the first shot, nice job on all

Hans
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Agreed, those are some nice pictures.

And I think this captures the things I like so much about the Q - it's so small and light that carrying it around is easy, especially with a kit of cine lenses, and the weight combined with the ergonomics make it an absolute pleasure to shoot with.

I picked up a K-01 at the fire sale, and I have to admit it takes better pics - even with the F35-80 lens, which most people around here seem to think is pretty mediocre. But taking pics with the Q is a lot more fun. Different cameras for different situations, I guess.

04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love my K-01 with my Tamron 28-75 f2.8. That lens almost never comes off anymore. It's just the perfect combination. I'll post some pics in the K-01 section later today.

Charles.
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I love my K-01 with my Tamron 28-75 f2.8. That lens almost never comes off anymore. It's just the perfect combination. I'll post some pics in the K-01 section later today.

Charles.
I swapped the DA40/2.8L and the FA35/2 between the K10D and the K-01. The 35 hasn't left hte K-01 since. But what has really happened is the Q bag with the 01 and 06 keeps kicking everything else out of the way.