Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The problem with the 02 is the aperture. There's a significant difference between f1.9 and f2.8-4.5.
Sure. But look at it this way: The 18-55 DSLR kit lens is 3.5-5.6. It's comparable. Unless you're shooting handheld at night without a flash, it's not a problem.

04-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Sure. But look at it this way: The 18-55 DSLR kit lens is 3.5-5.6. It's comparable. Unless you're shooting handheld at night without a flash, it's not a problem.
A K-r or K-x has two stops less noise than a Q, so SNR at f2.8-4.5 on a Q is comparable to an f5.6-9.5 lens on a DSLR. Even an 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens on a DSLR is unsuitable for indoor ambient light shooting without a flash, except at the wide end and wide open, IME.
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Even an 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens on a DSLR is unsuitable for indoor ambient light shooting without a flash, except at the wide end and wide open, IME
You're certainly right about that.
04-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #19

Original Poster
A K-r or K-x has two stops less noise than a Q, so SNR at f2.8-4.5 on a Q is comparable to an f5.6-9.5 lens on a DSLR. Even an 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens on a DSLR is unsuitable for indoor ambient light shooting without a flash, except at the wide end and wide open, IME.
It never dawned on me that a cropped sensor would affect the aperture--just did a quick google search, and one site claims its equivalent f-stop range is f/15.4-24.7? That can't be right... Does that mean the 02 has an infinite depth of field, and isn't suitable for use indoors?

04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by americanclassic Quote
one site claims its equivalent f-stop range is f/15.4-24.7? That can't be right... Does that mean the 02 has an infinite depth of field
Not "infinite," but like a 135 format lens set at f/16.

and isn't suitable for use indoors?
No, f/2.8 is f/2.8 when it comes to letting light through.
04-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It never dawned on me that a cropped sensor would affect the aperture--just did a quick google search, and one site claims its equivalent f-stop range is f/15.4-24.7? That can't be right... Does that mean the 02 has an infinite depth of field, and isn't suitable for use indoors?
DOF is affected by sensor size, smaller sensor = more DOF for same aperture.

Exposure is not affected by sensor size. At equal apertures, the same shutter speed and ISO will produce the same exposure, regardless of sensor size. I was not trying to say otherwise. If you are shooting indoors with a Q and K-r in low light, the Q photo will have two stops more noise at the same settings. So the Q lens is not slower, but the net effect is as though it is a slower lens. This is not terribly relevant at base ISO, but becomes relevant very quickly when you raise the ISO on the Q, as you must do indoors with the 02 lens. (Or use flash).

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-27-2013 at 05:00 AM.
04-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assumed the 02 lens would be fairly mediocre
Photozone.de gives the lens three and a half stars (which is pretty good by its standards) and says that the lens is capable of delivering very good results throughout the zoom range. So I don't think it's mediocre as kit lenses go.
04-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just received my Q with the 02 lens yesterday and had a little time to play with it. I bought the Q primarily for the crop factor. I have an adapter coming and plan to use it as a telephoto, I have have seen some amazing images on this forum with long lenses on adapters. I think it will also be nice to carry around when a smaller camera is needed. I don't have the adapter yet so it will allow me some time to use the 02 and see what it can do in "casual" shooting. With my initial test shots it has already blown my Olympus P&S out of the water, and with DSLR features it has more potential. I think this will be a pretty versatile performer. I got the white from B&H, a pretty good deal in my opinion. I ordered a Fotodiox K mount adapter and Wasabi Mobile charger with two extra batteries from Amazon, I hope the batteries are good. I had already bought an extra battery from B&H so I have four now, but I may go through a lot of them at Magee Marsh next week. I'm exited about the Q's potential.

04-27-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

I think the biggest weakness of the Q is the battery life. Fortunately, aftermarket batteries are cheap and these batteries are tiny so it's not hard to have extra's in your pocket. If you're going to be out all day and if you shoot a lot, I'd probably want to have 4 batteries total (3 for sure, 1 more just to be careful).

In terms of comparing it to point and shoots... I had an LX3 and I think the Q is way better in terms of image quality especially at higher ISO when light gets dim. Ergonomically, the Q is far more pleasant too... for a tiny camera it really is comfortable to hold with the buttons being in places that make changes easy and intuitive. Little touches like the dial in the front of the camera where you can quickly change image effects (like b&w, cross process etc) seem like it would be gimmicky but they add creativity so quickly and easily that it really adds to my photography. Or other things like focus peaking where getting critical focus on the area you want is easy. Or having a mode where you set the aperture and shutter speed and then ISO will float to match your settings.

And of course you can't ignore that you can in fact change lenses on this thing. Different lenses offer different things - that's the whole advantage of interchangeable lens systems! You may start off with one lens, but as you start recognizing what other lens can offer you in the way that you like to take photos, you will appreciate that there are other options available. Personally, I really like the 01 prime, the 02 zoom, the 06 zoom, and the 03 fisheye. And these lenses are so small, carrying around a few lenses does not require much sacrifice at all. Add to that the incredible telephoto capabilities when using full size lenses and it's an incredible kit.

One thing to keep in mind regarding reviews: most were done before the current round of firmware updates. The latest firmware update (1.12) has made the autofocus much much much faster and shutter lag is shorter than before.

All in all, the Q is a brilliant little camera that can be used like a ultra premium point and shoot, but since it has the ability to change lenses, is soooo much more. And of course the build quality is amazing... I dropped mine when walking on a gravel path so I ended up drop kicking the camera w/ the 01 lens on it... a little scuff, but still works great.