Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

How to you use your Pentax Q? Is the 02 lens comparable to a mid-range P&S?

So I'm sure you get this question at least once a day, but I'm still indecisive and would like some feedback from current Pentax Q users.

I like its compact form factor, and recognize that its sensor is lacking compared to Micro 4/3rds sensors. Personally, I would like it as an alternative to my DSLR; something to use when travelling light, but with more manual controls/better quality than a mid-range point-and-shoot. The way, I see it, my options are:
  1. invest in a 4/3rds sensor camera: more expensive, by at least ~$100; entry-level MFTs are around $300-400; however, definitely larger, kit lenses usually aren't pancake
  2. Get the Pentax Q: great price ($270ish with 02 lens), could toy around with older lenses using mounts. However, it is 2 years old' with just the 02 lens alone some newer P&S cameras could surpass the Q in both speed and image quality.
  3. Get an equivalently priced point-and-shoot: Some P&S cameras, like the Lumix LX7, are well-received; no interchangeable lenses, but the attached lens would probably suffice. Lens is more compact, quality may even surpass the Q + 02 lens.

I'm leaning towards the Q, because of the size and interchangeable lenses. Basic kit zoom lenses usually pale in comparison to prime lenses, so I know I wouldn't really be harnessing the full potential of the Q with the 02. With that in mind, would it be better to just get something like the Lumix LX7?

If you don't have time to answer all of the questions, any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

1. When do you use your Pentax Q? Do you treat it as a fun gimmicky toy you play with occasionally, or do you carry it with you in lieu of a bulkier DSLR system?

2. How would the quality stack up to a newer P&S of the same price point (~$300)? I mean heck, even my Note 2 phone has a pretty amazing built-in camera lol. If on-par with newer $300 P&S's in terms of image quality, I'd certainly go for the Q; if significantly worse, however, I'd either get an MFT or just get a nice P&S.

3. Any particular quirks, pet peeves, or drawbacks I should know about with the Q? When skimming through some reviews, it seemed that the shutter and AF were a little slow to respond. I think I read that it can only do like 5FPS for the first second, and any shot thereafter would have a few seconds' delay? Etc.

4. Any great, affordable K-mount (C-mount, etc etc) prime lenses out there? I don't need a telephoto lens, I'm fine with any basic ~20-50mm zoom lens, and a decent ~50mm prime lens. Purchasing the 01 prime lens alone would rival the cost of the Q + 02 bundle, so if there are any decent ~<$100 prime lenses (or hey, any great K-mount lenses to have in general) please let me know!

Thanks again! My main worry is basically that the Q + 02 lens would literally be no better than some ~$150 point-and-shoot. I hate being disappointed by image quality, and since the camera isn't available locally, I'd have to forfeit $60+ in 'restocking/shipping' fees if I didn't like it.

04-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by americanclassic Quote
4. Any great, affordable K-mount (C-mount, etc etc) prime lenses out there? I don't need a telephoto lens, I'm fine with any basic ~20-50mm zoom lens, and a decent ~50mm prime lens. Purchasing the 01 prime lens alone would rival the cost of the Q + 02 bundle, so if there are any decent ~<$100 prime lenses (or hey, any great K-mount lenses to have in general) please let me know!
The M 50mm F1.7 is probably one of the best bargains out there.

The Q with the 02 lens will probably do about as well as a mid-range P&S, but what annoys me about it is the compulsory two-handed operation. You don't want to always have to hold your compact as if it were a DSLR That and the shutter lag was quite frustrating for me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I believe the Q extracts the maximum useable information from any 1/2.3" sensor - and it's a backlit design so that helps too. If a sensor that size holds any appeal the Q is a great choice. And coming from larger Pentax models the menu feels right at home The 02 is quite good, but I've had some flare that I didn't like in one or two shots - so I'd consider it an occasional problem. Some day I must seek a hood for it, or make one from a yogurt cup
04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The M 50mm F1.7 is probably one of the best bargains out there.

The Q with the 02 lens will probably do about as well as a mid-range P&S, but what annoys me about it is the compulsory two-handed operation. You don't want to always have to hold your compact as if it were a DSLR That and the shutter lag was quite frustrating for me.
Great, thanks so much! Just curious, what would be the focal length equivalent of the 50mm Pentax lens on the Q? I assumed the 02 lens would be fairly mediocre, but having interchangeable lenses would definitely make up for it.

Shoot, shutter lag drives me crazy.. I really wish this camera was available locally for me to test out! I haven't used a point-and-shoot in ages (smartphone aside, but that thing is fast), so I hope I'm not expecting too much; I need to remind myself that this came out two years ago.

04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q crop (conversion) factor is about 5.5x in equiv. 135. .
04-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I believe the Q extracts the maximum useable information from any 1/2.3" sensor - and it's a backlit design so that helps too. If a sensor that size holds any appeal the Q is a great choice. And coming from larger Pentax models the menu feels right at home The 02 is quite good, but I've had some flare that I didn't like in one or two shots - so I'd consider it an occasional problem. Some day I must seek a hood for it, or make one from a yogurt cup
Thanks! I'm fine with occasional flare, so long as it produces a crisp image on a low ISO. I couldn't be bothered with megapixels, so long as the image quality is good. I'll browse around on this forum for sample shots. I'm still indecisive, as to whether I should get a mid/high-end slim P&S, or this unique little system. Unless I can get a pancake lens + body bundle for $<600 on an MFT system, I'll probably pass on that (if the lenses aren't slimmer, I might as well just use my DSLR). The Q seems to have quite a following considering its relative obscurity .
04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by americanclassic Quote
Thanks! I'm fine with occasional flare, so long as it produces a crisp image on a low ISO. I couldn't be bothered with megapixels, so long as the image quality is good. I'll browse around on this forum for sample shots. I'm still indecisive, as to whether I should get a mid/high-end slim P&S, or this unique little system. Unless I can get a pancake lens + body bundle for $<600 on an MFT system, I'll probably pass on that (if the lenses aren't slimmer, I might as well just use my DSLR). The Q seems to have quite a following considering its relative obscurity .
Relative obscurity? Really,where have you been the last two Years?

Teddy738
04-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

1) Yes, the Q is always in my (ultra-slim) briefcase, wherever I go.

2) No idea, the newest P&S I have is the Optio S4

3a) The camera isn't a sprinter on most functions, but it is frankly plenty snappy for most things. I've not tried to use it for "machine-gun-photography?

3b) Quirks...where to start It gets a LOT of attention, of the "I didn't know that they made real cameras that small" kind. May be good or bad, depending on your mood.

4) No idea. I have the 01, 02, 05 and 05 lenses, but almost exclusively use the 01 (I just prefer primes), and that's what lives with the Q in the briefcase on a daily basis. I only take the others with me if I suspect that I will need them. I have the K->Q adaptor, but it is rarely being used by me; I use a K-body for K-lenses

I'm excited by the Q, I really am. It fills a niche perfectly, and the IQ is easily from great to excellent. Of course, the camera takes some getting used to (DoF, ...) but I think that I'm getting there, and there're quite a few here on PF who seem to have posted exceptionally high-IQ images from the Q.

Could I do the same with a P&S or something, like the MX-1? Possibly. I do not know, but very possibly: in the end, it comes down to the photographer.

04-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
For the 02 and 06, the hoods will change your life - I was disappointed until I picked them up.

Only negative: there's no cut-out in the Pentax-made 02 and 06 hoods to turn a polarizing filter.

For the 01, the hood just looks so cool that it's a "must have" And, you can mount (& turn) a pol filter below it.
04-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi all,

2 100% crop for compare the quality all jpeg from the cameras
I think that the Q do a great joob

Cheap P&S Fuji X-E1 plus a Leica R50/2.0

Pentax Q + 01

Cheers,
Pedro
04-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pspentax Quote
2 100% crop for compare the quality all jpeg from the cameras
There ya go... $1400 camera vs. the Q. I don't see much difference. I think that speaks volumes. :-)

I don't own the 01, so I can't give you a head-to-head comparison, but the professional reviews of the 01 vs. the 02 show minimal difference in image quality. I can tell you from my personal experience with it that my 02 is a good performer. It's my preferred walkaround lens on the Q & the combo far outperforms any P&S I've used.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 04-26-2013 at 05:29 AM.
04-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I had the Kr and a Canon S100, and added the Q to get more reach and better macro. After several tests I found the S100 IQ is better than the Q with the 02. The S100 is easier to carry but I find myself using the Q more. When I use the Q it's mostly with adapted lenses. I can get a different perspective with the Q having both a 2.5mm and my 55-300 zoom and several primes in between.

Hans
04-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Q with several lenses and like it a lot. I also have the Olympus EPL5. For your purposes i think M4/3 might be the better option (huge lens selection). You can get a Panasonic GX1 body for $199 here:

Panasonic Lumix DMC GX1 16MP Micro 4 3 Digital Camera Black Body New Roberts 885170065529 | eBay

and its not much bigger than the Q
04-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I just bought a "Like New" Q with 01 prime for $265 at KEH. I don't think the battery had ever been inserted. I followed up with the tiny fisheye lens and Q-to-K adapter. All set now.

http://www.keh.com/search?store=camera&brand=Brand&category=Class&k=pentax Q...price=0&r=SE&e

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-26-2013 at 07:47 AM.
04-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I don't own the 01, so I can't give you a head-to-head comparison, but the professional reviews of the 01 vs. the 02 show minimal difference in image quality. I can tell you from my personal experience with it that my 02 is a good performer.
The problem with the 02 is the aperture. There's a significant difference between f1.9 and f2.8-4.5.