Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Q peaking, I guess I'm not using it right.

I've been using peaking on my NEX since it became available. Love it. I've been trying to use it on my Q and I have the exact opposite reaction. Hate it. I find that I can focus better with it off than on. On the NEX, it's more coherent. The scene basically looks the same except there are patches of color where the peak contrast and thus focus is. On the Q, it's less coherent. There is a sprinkling of dots, which looks like static. A lot of the problem is that these dots are white. Good if I'm taking pictures of dark scenes. Not good in well lit scenes. Is there a way to change the color? All in all, these dots get in the way of seeing what I'm trying to focus on cleanly. I end up turning it off. Any tips on what I should be doing differently.

04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe there's a way to change the color, and I agree that with long lenses, it can be very hard if not impossible to focus properly on a busy scene. The magnification feature might come in handy for you, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

... Yes, the MF assist of 2x and 4x makes a huge difference...use it ! ...but even with MF assist a long lens of 100mm + can be difficult to focus due to hand shake, so I keep a monopod handy to stabilize the viewed image