Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Pentax Q + C Mount Lenses

Hi everyone,

I've read quite a bit on C-Mount lenses.

I was wondering if anyone used either of these 2 products or know if they would work with the Pentax Q?

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 25MM F1.4 TV Movie Lens + Lens Adapter for MFT M4/3 camera, fits Panasonic G1 G2 G10 GF1 GF2 GH2 GH1 GH2, Olympus E-P1 E-P2 E-PL1 E-PL2: Electronics

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, C-mount Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo

Thanks so much!

05-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes I have the Fotodiox c-mount adapter and it works well on the Q. The Rainbow will not work on the q it is for micro 4//3's cameras.

Hans
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wouldn't the Rainbow work as it is C-Mount? I think the adapter that comes with it is for the 4/3 to C. But the lens itself should be C-Mount right?

Vica
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vica Quote
Wouldn't the Rainbow work as it is C-Mount? I think the adapter that comes with it is for the 4/3 to C. But the lens itself should be C-Mount right?

Vica
You would still need the Fotodiox C 2 Q adapter and the rainbow lens would work on that but why pay for the micro 4/3's adapter. The note on the bottom of the Amaz*n page is concerning to me, sound like a poor quality lens. It doesn't say that the sharpness is good, just fine??

"note: This lens is good for Portrait Photography, but it not good for Landscape Photography. The sharpness in the center is fine, but the border is soft. It looks like a tilt lens."

05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

It sounds like one of the cheap generic Fujiyan CCTV lenses that are readily available on eBay:

25mm F 1 4 C Mount CCTV Lens for Panasonic G2 G10 GF2 GH2 New | eBay

which is an OK lens, in my experience, but no more than that. A lens to play with. It's a cheap mass-produced lens for security cameras, and while it's better than it could have been to serve that market, it's not as good as the average cine (cinema) lenses made for 8mm and 16mm movie cameras.

If you're interested in 25mm video/cine lenses (C and D mount), there are much better options available, if you're willing to spend some time searching on eBay. Cosmicar (Pentax) makes a higher grade of lens for the CCTV market, and it's not too hard to find copies; Fujinon (Fujifilm) does the same thing; and Computar is typically a notch below them in quality, but above the generic CCTV lenses. Elgeet, Kern-Paillard, Wollensak, Kodak, Bell & Howell, Bausch & Lomb, Kinotel and Elitar (Soligor) all make good vintage 8mm/16mm (D mount/C mount) movie lenses that can be found in the $20-35 range with some patience. There are also 'premium' brands like Taylor Hobson, Som Berthoit, Dallmeyer and Angenieux that typically sell for well over $100, but can sometimes sell under $50. Kern Paillard, Elgeet, Bell & Howell and Bausch & Lomb tend to skew more expensive, but can sell at a reasonable price often enough to be worth going after.

Just be careful to make sure they really are C or D mount; that's what most of them are in my experience, but there are a few other movie mounts that show up occasionally. CS mount is the trickiest; the screw mount is actually identical to standard C mount, but the lens is designed to focus at a different distance. Trying to get CS mounts to work on the Q is probably more work than it's worth right now. Other mounts like the Kodak S-mount are much easier to spot at a glance. You can make most of them work if you want to put in the time and effort putting together a mounting solution; but since C and D mount lenses are so easy to find, and the adapters are so cheap and easily available (It's not hard to find them under $10), I'd recommend sticking with them to start with.
05-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Travis.

Would you happen to know if this is a C Mount lens?

Tamron Lens 1 1 6 16mm Dia 25 5mm 40348 | eBay

Also, are the Pentax Hoya lenses for C Mount any good?
05-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks for the info Travis.

Would you happen to know if this is a C Mount lens?

Tamron Lens 1 1 6 16mm Dia 25 5mm 40348 | eBay

Also, are the Pentax Hoya lenses for C Mount any good?
That is a C-mount

Tamron 21HA

but looks like it was misboxed as that is a 16 mm lens not 50... still a c-mount

Last edited by verdigris; 05-02-2013 at 08:39 AM.
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
That is a C-mount

Tamron 21HA

but looks like it was misboxed as that is a 16 mm lens not 50... still a c-mount
Yup.To help the OP in identifying in the future:

Just going from the listing description, it's either a C or a CS mount; the pic shows a screw mount, and the listing says 'Dia 25.5mm', which matches C-mount (and the identical CS mount).

To list a few more that might be of interest at more or less 'normal' lengths and currently at 'reasonable' prices, pulled up in a quick search:

Computar 1 1 6 16mm Lens Japan | eBay
Comiscar TV Lens 16mm 1 1 6 CCTV Made in Japan | eBay
Taylor Hobson "C" Mount Serital 1" inch Lens | eBay
M25 Hugo Meyer Trioplan 17mm F 2 8 C Mount Perfect for Nikon 1 | eBay
C Mount Cosmicar 1 4 25mm TV Lens Modified M4 3 G3 Nikon 1 Pentax Q | eBay
Computar 16mm C Mount 1 1 4 2 3" Zoom Lens with Locking Iris and Focus | eBay
C Mount Kern Paillard Switar 10mm F1 6 | eBay
Hugo Meyer Kino Plasmat 1" F1 5 Cine C Mount Movie Lens 16mm Camera Bolex Filmo | eBay
Ross of London 1" F1 9 Enlish C Mount Cine Movie Lens 16mm Camera Bolex Filmo | eBay
Vintage Cosmicar Pentax 25mm F1 9 C Mount TV Cine 16mm S16 1" Format Lens | eBay

One thing to be careful about - since the main market for the last couple of decades is closed-circuit video, a number of lenses will include automatic control equipment for focus/aperture/etc. - look out for things like the wire in Cosmicar Pentax Auto Iris C Mount Video TV Lens 8mm 1 1 4 | eBay . Sometimes there's an ordinary manual lens buried inside, which you can use normally by taking it out of the motorized casing; sometimes the motors are an integral part of the lens mechanism, in which case the lens may not be usable manually.

05-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #9

I've been really interested in these C mount lenses for the Q. Anyone kind enough to explain the details on C mount lenses mounted on the Q? Like the EFL, how the aperture would be affected etc.. =)
05-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

The easiest way to consider EFL would be to take the ratio of the c mounts focal length to the standard 01 8.5 mm normal. In general, a c-mount wide angle (16-17 mm) is somewhere between portrait and tele. It's a pretty versatile EFL, and I typically use these the most. As for aperture, these are all manuals lenses so you can either shoot in M or aperture priority mode. True cine lens for 16 mm typically have 8+ blades. The CCTV and machine vision ones usually 6. There isn't much point in considering the 'crop factor' of C mounts, as the frame size of a 16 mm camera (or a 2/3 inch sensor for most CCTV) isn't something is going to be a useful reference for most people.

One thing to consider regarding these is that the EFL doesn't necessarily translate to the lens having the same characteristics as a full frame camera lens of the same type of 'equivalent focal length' when calculated using a ~5.5x crop factor. The focal length is still the same, it's just the crop factor that changes. For example with meyer trioplan 17 mm 2.8 mentioned above. If you looked at the EFL and max aperture, one might think that it would be similar to a full frame 100 mm f2.8 trioplan. (same maximum aperture and ~ 94 mm EFL). However, the bokeh is nothing like the infamous 100mm. The wide angle c-mount is still a nice lens, with good color and decent OOF character, but will disappoint if your expecting crazy bokeh bubbles.
The frame size with the crop factor on the Q is roughly equivalent, and the magnification factor is the same, but it is still a 17 mm trioplan, so its 'trioplanitude' is quite different. I don't know if there is a mathematical way to describe this.

Last edited by verdigris; 05-03-2013 at 12:51 PM.
05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

I admit, I'm much more of an empirical photographer than a calculator; I haven't studied optics enough to be comfortable with more than the basics of focal length and aperture. For example, I've seen more than one explanation of how the size of the Q sensor will start causing diffraction effects above f/5.6, but the explanation went right over my head. And although I've been semi-seriously taking pictures for over a decade, I've only started really working with interchangeable-lens cameras in the last couple of years, without any real photographic eduction. So I'm basically half-self-taught by taking lots of photos and seeing what happens.

All of which is leading up to, I've been trying to get comfortable playing with adapted lenses on the Q by taking lots and lots of test shots of the same scene using different lenses, and I've been putting the results up on Flickr. I just uploaded a whole batch more over the last day, if you're interested in looking at them: Q Lens Tests - a set on Flickr
05-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is the same cheap Fujiyan lens. I have the silver version. It is ok for portrait as 25x5.5 = 137.5. I have tried taking close up of flowers and the centre is sharp but the borders are soft.

There are plenty on eBay. Buy the one that comes with the C-Q adapter.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/25mm-F-1-4-C-Mount-1-2-CCTV-Lens-Pentax-Q-P-Q-cam...item4171d1d0fd

Last edited by felixkh; 05-05-2013 at 01:28 AM.