Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... the 20 year Vision remains to be Number 1.
That is bloody brilliant!

It gives me time to save up for a couple of major lenses most likely to be released by then, and pay for the top camera body!

Let me see ... 20 yrs ... say 18 yrs ... 216 months ... at $100 per month equals (finds calculator and punches keys) $21,600.

05-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the precise report monochrome.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I tried to explain how much (adult) fun I am having "playing" with my capable camera and Jim repsonded that they really don't want to emphasize fun with the Q, they want to emphasize quality.
I think it's a big mistake. The biggest interest of the Q is indeed that it's fun to use (and its telephoto capabilities). IQ-wise it's quite good in its own category (compact cameras) but it doesn't really competes against biggest sensors systems.

I mean, if Pentax wants to market the Q as a "DSLR in a compact format" (to simplify), a lot of buyers are going to be disappointed.

On the other hand, if they make a Q20 with a few more lomo filters à la instagram and add wifi capabilities to directly share on social networks, it could be a hit in the younger generation.
05-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
On the other hand, if they make a Q20 with a few more lomo filters à la instagram and add wifi capabilities to directly share on social networks, it could be a hit in the younger generation.
Yep to all. Jim said they had worked with Eye-Fi engineers to implement better integration with their cards once the Setup is done the first time (IIRC FW 1.12, but don't quote me on that). Ricoh GR does this native. I hint-asked about transferring the GR engineering to Pentax cams but no response based on the "No New Product Comments" agreement.
Although it lacks in-camera wireless connectivity, the GR does support Eye-Fi X2-series Wi-Fi-equipped SD cards. If an Eye-Fi X2 card is inserted, the camera will display options specific to the card in its menu system, allowing you to enable or disable Wi-Fi, and select whether all images should be transferred, or only those selected for transfer in Playback mode. You can select to transfer full-resolution originals or reduced-size versions, and the camera can keep itself powered on until transfer is complete. Note, however, that movies can't be transmitted via Wi-Fi.

I also think they really intend Q to be for the X and Y Gen buyers; then step them up to a more capable camera. I think we criticize Q here for not being a Nikon with a 1" sensor when it was never intended to be that.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-15-2013 at 02:58 PM.
05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Thanks for the precise report monochrome.

I think it's a big mistake. The biggest interest of the Q is indeed that it's fun to use (and its telephoto capabilities). IQ-wise it's quite good in its own category (compact cameras) but it doesn't really competes against biggest sensors systems.

I mean, if Pentax wants to market the Q as a "DSLR in a compact format" (to simplify), a lot of buyers are going to be disappointed.

I find pentax emphasis on IQ for the Q to be reasonable although many consumers won't get it because of the size of the camera. The images I get from the cue are stunning. Comparisons to the largest DSLR sensors are silly or worst case, bashing.

05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
That is bloody brilliant!

It gives me time to save up for a couple of major lenses most likely to be released by then, and pay for the top camera body!

Let me see ... 20 yrs ... say 18 yrs ... 216 months ... at $100 per month equals (finds calculator and punches keys) $21,600.
At this rate that ought to just about pay for a nice FF lens.
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
At this rate that ought to just about pay for a nice FF lens.
Or at least a nice down payment on a FF lens ... ?!
05-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Or at least a nice down payment on a FF lens ... ?!
Depends on the terms of the loan.

06-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting how many questions from this call and the resulting thread and responses were answered just six weeks later with the Q7. Larger sensor just jumps out, as well as Wi-Fi (Eye-Fi). The there's the K-500 and K-50 - and the colors - the improvement to HDMI out and HD video with AF (see Verdigris).

Obviously our call didn't change anything - it was too close to the release - but Pentax were listening to people who had similar desires and needs.