Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
That sounds encouraging to me. Thanks for taking the time to do this monochrome
Yes! I feel better myself - more relaxed and confident that good things are coming.

05-02-2013, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quij Quote
Fantastic. It is unfortunate however that this meeting wasn't made too public on the forums. I'm sure the rest of the community would have liked to had an input of what was going to be discussed. A public poll would have been nice. I can't really live on forums nor do I have the time to spend much time online. I'd rather dedicate free time towards my hobby of photography or editing photos. It is a tough balance but I guess those who dedicate their time online do indeed have priority in these cases.

Thanks again, this new information is very promising and makes me proud to have purchased the Pentax Q. I look forward to buying more of their products.
Deciding how to build the Group was the hardest part. I didn't want to just keep the call for myself, but I also didn't want to start a 40,000 Member Tsunami. In an imperfect world, with a limit of 5 - 10 callers, this was the best I could come up with.

Tell us your opinions and needs. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn someone in Denver reads this Forum!
05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Good Job on coordinating the call Monochrome. I didn't take part because I would have been incapable of keeping on topic, I'm still too PO'd about MAP and a few other things.
05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Q User Group had a GoToMeeting Call with James Malcolm
Wow you have a great memory and covered everything in amazing accurate detail. I can't think of anything to add.

Hans

05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Wow you have a great memory and covered everything in amazing accurate detail. I can't think of anything to add.

Hans
Heh. Larry takes good notes.
05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice. Thanks for the feedback.
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks....

The gay parade idea, and the university color match idea are pretty neat, in my opinion.
But I am sure some old folks in PF will scream again......

Lee

05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Im excited that Pentax/Ricoh are looking at being #1 manufacturer in 20 years, no mean feat!
Due to the length of time it looks like they are targeting 1st time buyers now with the release of the K30 and Q. The new APSC model and how a FF camera is released will have a large bearing on this plan in order to take experienced users from other brands and maintaining our own userbase.
05-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

google hangouts yo.

I mean this is great information, but they could really take a more hands on and interactive approach with the community. . .rather than funneling it through one user. That's not a criticism, it's a suggestion. It's in Pentax's interest to foster a community around their cameras -- it's not something other manufactures are doing that's for sure.
05-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks....

The gay parade idea, and the university color match idea are pretty neat, in my opinion.
But I am sure some old folks in PF will scream again......

Lee
Yeah, I commented (under my breath - Amber R. was on the line) Effin' Brilliant!
05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for the review monochrome! I'm sorry that I couldn't participate due to reasons out of my control at this time.

And, although the interview was aimed at the Q, the general tone about their business strategy in general, no matter how vague (which I understand he can't talk about) have given me a bit of a boost in faith with Pentax. Also, I put a lot of weight in the first paragraph of your post as I spent many years in that same environment and share your thoughts about the "feel" of a person in an executive position.

This little synopsis kind of reinforces my idea of what Pentax is doing right now marketing the Q and K-30 the way they are - without going into too many details with that, it comes down to "follow the money".

Great job to all involved!
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
google hangouts yo.

I mean this is great information, but they could really take a more hands on and interactive approach with the community. . .rather than funneling it through one user. That's not a criticism, it's a suggestion. It's in Pentax's interest to foster a community around their cameras -- it's not something other manufactures are doing that's for sure.
Yes. Ricoh is doing something really neat with the GR microsite that I think Q at least could do. I personally think it is a brand management conflict. Ricoh is a passionately counterculture cult brand that plays very well with younger buyers. I think I understand that Pentax is trying to differentiate itself as a very high quality camera (much more so than Canon and somewhat above Nikon) and the challenge is to carefully project that image not just with content but on the right medium (a).

I tried to explain how much (adult) fun I am having "playing" with my capable camera and Jim repsonded that they really don't want to emphasize fun with the Q, they want to emphasize quality. I'm not quite sure how that meshes with colors, except that they want to break the idea that a camera has to be black. I'll allow that I'm 57 and I don't really get what drives my 20's children any more (though my wife is more in touch). I also believe there is a plan and they're focused on first things this year. Then they can hire a few people and do the next things, and the next. Building identity groups might be a "next thing."
05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I tried to explain how much (adult) fun I am having "playing" with my capable camera and Jim repsonded that they really don't want to emphasize fun with the Q, they want to emphasize quality. I'm not quite sure how that meshes with colors, except that they want to break the idea that a camera has to be black.
I love the Q's magnesium case. The Q10's colourful poly case is not nearly as appealing. I own a white K-x and a white K-01, but I wanted the black Q to make it look more like how I see it; a high quality, fully capable compact MILC. Prime lenses fit with the Q vibe, we need more.
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I love the Q's magnesium case. The Q10's colourful poly case is not nearly as appealing. I own a white K-x and a white K-01, but I wanted the black Q to make it look more like how I see it; a high quality, fully capable compact MILC. Prime lenses fit with the Q vibe, we need more.
I suppose we can interpret System and Ecology in many ways.

I could see a magnesium bodied, Q high-end line (Q1, Q3, Q5 .....) with full controls like a K-5 (maybe a slightly larger sensor) and a mid-range line (Q10, Q30, Q50) with mid-range controls like K-30, polycarb and colors and even entry level (Q100, Q300, Q500) at a low price-point that's almost a super-compact.

I could see a small flash, external stereo mic's, direct tablet connections - all Apple quality - let your imagination run!! Mine is.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-03-2013 at 04:53 AM.
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I have the original K-5 and am quite happy with it.