Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

HALP! I'm confused with all those adapters!

I tried to read some threads about it, but damn, too much info. So i made short list of questions.
I have K20D and few more manual K lenses, m42 lens(more to come) and Pentax Q.
So, as far as i understand:

1) Best-per-buck Pentax K to Pentax Q adapter is Fotodiox.
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo (i wonder is there fotodiox store on ebay, amazon is a bit pain for me).

2) C and D. Random ebay's ones are okay? Or there is a good one and bad ones?

3) Can i use M42 adapter to Fotodiox K2Q? Really wanna see Helios 44-2 on Q Or those Russian's 300/4.5

4) How about M39 ring to M42 to ^

5) Is there any other adapters for Q?

Bonus: what with all those M39 at all? If lenses was designed for SLR it will work on Pentax K via m39=>m42=>K but if it was m39 rangefinder there is no luck?

Attached Images

05-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. I agree it's the best for the buck. I have one and it works quite well. I shoot mostly hand held and camera movement will cause the Jello effect when panning for movement even at fast shutter speeds. You should not have a problem if you use a tripod.

2. yes they are fine

3. yes I use a m42 adapter on my K 2 Q adapter

4. I don't have one but would assume it will work

5. yes I have a Canon EOS adapter but it will not control aperture, you need an EOS body to close the lens down before you put it on the adapter. You can also get the old canon mount adapter, Nikon, Olympus etc...
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iabc_lazy Quote
I tried to read some threads about it, but damn, too much info. So i made short list of questions.
I have K20D and few more manual K lenses, m42 lens(more to come) and Pentax Q.
So, as far as i understand:
(...)

5) Is there any other adapters for Q?
(...)
5) A few
Attached Images

05-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

(...)

Bonus: what with all those M39 at all? If lenses was designed for SLR it will work on Pentax K via m39=>m42=>K but if it was m39 rangefinder there is no luck?
There are two different mounts there:
  1. The first one is LTM (Leica Thread Mount) / L39 mount, used by early, screw mount Leica rangefinders and Soviet copies such as Zorkis and Feds. The corresponding lenses won't work on any reflex cameras
  2. The second one is M39, used by early Zenit reflex cameras before they adopted the M42 mount. Unfortunately, the register distance (flange to film) is 45.2mm so slightly shorter than the 45.46mm of M42 mount.

05-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for answers!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There are two different mounts there:
yes, i have read thread there about m39 on DSLR.

But, Q isn't reflex.

But, looking at this adapter list i can buy adapter for it. Russian lenses are cheap and even if they will work only on Q i'm okay with it.
Just wonder is no-name are good enough to buy them at all.
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
5) A few
Wow great spreadsheet, just some additional info for you , I have Fotodiox adapters for EOS less aperture control, & M42

Hans
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks for answers!
yes, i have read thread there about m39 on DSLR.

But, Q isn't reflex.

But, looking at this adapter list i can buy adapter for it. Russian lenses are cheap and even if they will work only on Q i'm okay with it.
Just wonder is no-name are good enough to buy them at all.
I've got one of the Kiwi M39-Q adapters, and the adapter itself seems fine; solidly built and well machined.

However, I can't say I'm too crazy about the quality of the Russian lenses I've tried so far:

IMGP0895 Jup 11 f5.6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP0900 i61 f4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Jupiter 11 is just fuzzy, full stop. Not impressed.

The Industar 61 isn't... bad, but it isn't any better than the average C or D mount lens, and it doesn't match up to the best C and D's. See:

All sizes | IMGP0909 Elgeet 38 f4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | IMGP0900 i61 f4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Since the C's and D's are lighter, smaller, and easier to fit into a kit bag - especially if you add in the comparative sizes of the adapter - I'm not sure I'd bother unless there are specific M39 lenses you're wanting to adapt.
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm, interesting.

The main problem with Russian lenses — quality control. There is really bad ones and really good ones.
I have Helios 44-2 the cheapest version.
It's crazy sharp full open, at center of the image. Corners are so soft, you can use them as butter. I don't think what even F8 saves them.

I think i just gonna ask friends if anyone have those m39 lenses, to borrow, and only then gonna buy adapter. For 30$ or so i can just buy few more m42's.

05-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

L39 Jupiter 8s are nice sonnar copies. They are very common so there isn't much reason to get a bad one. Buy from a seller on ebay with a lot of good feedback, who's tested it and ideally provides sample pictures.
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Wow great spreadsheet, just some additional info for you , I have Fotodiox adapters for EOS less aperture control, & M42

Hans
Than you, I have added them to my spreadsheet.
05-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm, looks like there is new version on amazon Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo any info?
Because looks like there is no tripod mount anymore

And i can't find old version online.
05-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Fotodiox does indeed have an eBay store. The seller name is "fotodiox_gear". They were selling on ebay long before Amazon. You can even order directly from their website.
06-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #13

hi all, i have bought the adapter by RJ on ebay, it has aperture open/lock and tripod.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RJ-Pentax-PK-PK-A-AF-DA-lens-to-Pentax-Q-adapter-...e8e40fd&_uhb=1

So my question, how can i use that aperture thing?

below is my understanding using my own lenses as examples:
because camera cannot control aperture on lens with this adapter, so:

* for lens WITOUT aperture ring (example: DA, DAL 18-55mm kit lens) i set aperture on adapter to LOCK (or to OPEN???) and set aperture on camera manually
* for lens WITH aperture ring (example: old pentax-M manual focus 50mm f1.7, tamron 90mm f2.8 macro), i set aperture on adapter to OPEN, and decide on aperture on the lens manually.

is the above correct?

Thanks
06-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

1) Best-per-buck Pentax K to Pentax Q adapter is Fotodiox.

Yep. it works well. If you're planning on using Pentax DA lenses, you'll want the version with an aperture ring. I'd love to have the genuine Pentax Q to K adapter for the leaf shutter, but I can't go $250 for an adapter. In the meantime, the Fotodiox adapter works quite well.

2) C and D. Random ebay's ones are okay? Or there is a good one and bad ones?

I have two cheap C adapters I' bought from eBay. All they are is a threaded ring with a Q mount on the back. I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them. There are typically 3 small Allen screws around the perimeter of the adapter. these allow you to mount lens, loosen the screws, and center the lens with the focusing marks, etc. on top. Then, you tighten the screws to lock it in place. Some have complained that the adapters have been loose or even came apart there, but they didn't tighten the screws. It's not the fault of the adapter.

3) Can i use M42 adapter to Fotodiox K2Q? Really wanna see Helios 44-2 on Q Or those Russian's 300/4.5

Yep.

4) How about M39 ring to M42 to ^

I'd just buy a dedicated M39 adapter for use with M39 lenses. M39 adapters are smaller, for one thing. I use a cheap Kiwi M39 adapter with a Russian Industar 61 55mm / 2.8 lens, which is an excellent performer on the Q, and roughly the equivalent of a 300mm tele on the Q.

Good luck & have fun. The Q is a blast!

Bob :-)