Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Q with 01 or Q with 02 kit?

I have been following the forum thoroughly these few days and cannot make my mind which Q kit lens to order.
I already have a k-01 and coupling it with a Tamron 17-55 2.8 for indoor and dim shooting and a Tamron 18-200 for general purpose photography.
Both lenses are enormous on the K-01 making it not suitable for street photography as it attracts lot of attention and surely will intimidate people on the street, and may cause me troubles...

Q jumped as a good alternative for the k-01 for street photography and birding with K lenses.

BUT I cannot make my mind which lens to order with the Q...
would the Q with 02 zoom be too bulky to hold and carry around??
Would the image quality (on streets) be inferior to the 01 kit? I am more inclined towards the 02 due to its more flexible field of view compared to the 01 prime, but worried about the portability of the system and its "aggressivness" and the people reaction towards it compared to the 01 lens...

Cost of either alternatives is not an issue, but I cannot afford both

Suggestions pleeaase??

05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll get lots of answers. The 01 is smaller (nearly 1/2 the length), is much better in low light, and has significantly better IQ in my opinion. The 02 is more flexible in terms of field of view. The 01 is HARD to find outside of a kit, while the 02 is standard and is also sold separately on a regular basis by all the big Pentax ADs.
05-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd go with 01 just because it's too hard to get outside of a kit and it's an excellent lens then maybe 02 or 06. Q is definitely not too big with 02 on it; most of the people still think it's a P&S or a toy. My fiance loves it, moving up from regular P&S.
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The 02 is still tiny -- all the Q lenses are tiny. But if you can get a deal with the 01, then it is much easier to find an 02 later...

05-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies,
I can get a brand new white Q with 01 lens for around 320 USD from amazon uk
but isn't the 8.5 mm kind of long for street photography?
I have to settle with only one lens for the q and use my collection of Ks with the fotodiox adapter for birding, else... problems with the wife
05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by M.Zein Quote
Thanks for the replies,
I have to settle with only one lens for the q and use my collection of Ks with the fotodiox adapter for birding, else... problems with the wife
It's a normal lens with an SLR equivalent of 47ish. For wider there is the 03 Fish Eye - I like mine a lot - or the 02 that goes from 27.5-83.0mm in 35mm format.
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's a normal lens with an SLR equivalent of 47ish. For wider there is the 03 Fish Eye - I like mine a lot - or the 02 that goes from 27.5-83.0mm in 35mm format.
Hehehe,

ExactlY!
this is the problem, which of the two in your opinion would suit my needs better?
I hate remorse...
05-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hehehe,

ExactlY!
this is the problem, which of the two in your opinion would suit my needs better?
I hate remorse...
Only you can answer that question. The 01 is better in low light and has better IQ, the 02 is more versatile but requires more light, the 03 is plain fun and gives a very wide field of view and requires nearly no focusing past 3 feet or so but does give you a fish-eye perspective. If you plan on expanding your lenses for the Q down the road the 01 is HARD to find.

05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replies,
I usually do candid people stuff on the street (not that I have done a whole lot of street photography) so the 01 works pretty well for me. But if you tend to go wider 02 is definitely more suitable.

I have the opposite problem... now that I got my fiance addicted to the Q, she wants me to get the 06... Of course I guess there's a difference between 'our' money vs 'his' money compared to your situation. Oh well, her b-day is coming up at least...
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Only you can answer that question. The 01 is better in low light and has better IQ, the 02 is more versatile but requires more light, the 03 is plain fun and gives a very wide field of view and requires nearly no focusing past 3 feet or so but does give you a fish-eye perspective. If you plan on expanding your lenses for the Q down the road the 01 is HARD to find.
The 01 appears to be available from the Pentax webstore (USA). It's not listed on the lenses page, but if you open the lens page and type 01 standard prime in the search box it pulls up a page with the link for purchase. I just got an email confirming shipment.
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
My new Q with the 01 prime is on its way home along with the fotodiox converter
05-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My new Q with the 01 prime is on its way home along with the fotodiox converter
Congratulations. I hope that its everything you want. If you decide you want an 02 (or 03, or 06) they are readily available online too.
05-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I usually do candid people stuff on the street (not that I have done a whole lot of street photography) so the 01 works pretty well for me. But if you tend to go wider 02 is definitely more suitable.

I have the opposite problem... now that I got my fiance addicted to the Q, she wants me to get the 06... Of course I guess there's a difference between 'our' money vs 'his' money compared to your situation. Oh well, her b-day is coming up at least...
Be careful they just raised the price on it too You can still find it for $240-250 if you look around at places like NewEgg and other off the beaten track retailers.
05-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Be careful they just raised the price on it too You can still find it for $240-250 if you look around at places like NewEgg and other off the beaten track retailers.
Darn, that explains why the 250ish stocks on Amazon were disappearing quickly. I just bought one from eBay for 254 with Free shipping from Canada. Figured the saving on tax along makes it worth a while.
05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Darn, that explains why the 250ish stocks on Amazon were disappearing quickly. I just bought one from eBay for 254 with Free shipping from Canada. Figured the saving on tax along makes it worth a while.
Good for you. Yes, we have to be more creative with MAP and its ugly effects. The current price is now $296 at the Big Two ADs online. I found it for $232 plus shipping ($244 out the door) as the low. Sad. Amazon has it listed as List Price: $359.00