Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Help with adapted lens on my Q

OK folks - need some help here. I haven't done much with my Q and long lenses lately - was getting kind of frustrated. I think my problem is manually focusing as I have problems with manual focus with regular lenses on my K-5. I am about to give up on the Q with adapted lenses for this reason. But, I thought I would show a few test shots from this morning for you folks to evaluate to see if it is my focusing skills or something else.

I used my Q + M150 3.5 with the Carryspeed viewfinder pushed against my face for stability. Also used a tree to brace myself - actually had a hand holding the Q right against a tree. SR on, and lens stopped down 1 click (~f4). I am using a Fotodiox adapter that is not painted. Plus, I don't know if it would make a difference - I had removed the tripod foot from the Fotodiox adapter and those small screw holes are open.

I really want this to work, and have serioulsy thought about the genuine Pentax adapter, but at this point I don't know if it is worth throwing that kind of money at this kit if I simply can't nail focus.

Images are clickable for larger view. Shot raw and processed in Lightroom with just the "auto" button pushed for exposure. ISO was set at 125 and let the shutter speed float - listed shutter speed before each photo:

1/1250

1/640

1/250

1/400

1/160

1/250

1/125

1/400


Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,141
I don't see a problem with your focusing. It's just the lens not resolving enough for the tiny Q sensor. And motion blur with the bird.
05-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
If you hurry up, there is a genuine Pentax adapter in the marketplace.

With that said, ANY K lens greater than say a 24mm, is now a telephoto lens with the Q.
Don't give up, just realize that now you are using a "long" lens, and your technique has to change.

Trust me, I had to learn all sorts of new tricks when I started using the Bigma and other long lenses. In time, things work out.

Why mention the genuine Pentax adapter?

Because of the shutter and fine tuning of the aperture in the real adapter, you can get sharpness, stability and a shutter that will also improve your techniques.
05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Also...a Gimbal is probably in your future when using "long lenses"!

05-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,625
stan i thought the focus looked good...it takes time and lots of pictures to work with the q and i still bang my head up against the wall alot...anything that moves is frustrating and a bird on a wire is probably moving just from the breeze much less the bird...keep at it..you will find happiness or understand your limitations in time...i also originally did a lot of pictures hand holding the camera while holding my breath but it was exhausting...not breathing for an extending period of time is taxing and i soon realized the tripod is a heck of alot more enjoyable 75% of the time...
05-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Original Poster
Lauren - I shoot 300+ lenses all the time - and do have 2 gimbal heads.

Amy - yeah - I use a tripod 90% of the time with my K-5 and long lenses - just thought I would try the little M150 handheld.

Discounting the bird pic which I know is either out of focus or motion blur, I'm trying to figure out why all the other images are soft. Maybe I am spoiled by using my K-5 and now K-5IIs.

I'm going to try a few tripod shots later with my FA*300 - don't have a tripod mount to facilitate the M150. I guess I was thinking the SR would help with the M150 as I did make sure I braced myself well.

The pics I posted all seem quite soft to me, along with a lack of contrast, or a lack of something. That is why I was wondering if the generic adapter being unpainted had something to do with it.
05-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,141
As I said, it's the lens. (D)SLR lenses aren't designed to be used on a tiny sensor. This is essentially an IQ stress test.

Take a pic with your K-5 and crop out say, a 1800*1200 pixel frame from the centre. What does that look like?
05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
As I said, it's the lens. (D)SLR lenses aren't designed to be used on a tiny sensor. This is essentially an IQ stress test.

Take a pic with your K-5 and crop out say, a 1800*1200 pixel frame from the centre. What does that look like?
Use 1300x975, unless my numbers are wrong that's the size of the Q sensor. (6.17/23.4*4928)

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
lens stopped down 1 click (~f4).
The first click in most M lenses is one stop, so these are probably at f/4.5. Unless you meant one click on the adapter, in which case it could be anything (but probably wide open, if my experience with M lenses is any indication).

05-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
The shots look overexposed, i find if you use a slightly - ev they will look better on the Qs sensor.

If you are t going to control the shutter speed in manual mode then set a - .5 or -.7 EV comp

I'm also noticing a bit if haze that could be due to an unpainted adapter.

Also try controlling g aperture via the lens vs adapter. It will be more accurate. Go to 5.6 see if it helps.

Last edited by crewl1; 05-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.
05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know I need to slow down and be patient with this setup.

Larry - I also noticed what looked to be haze in the images but there is now haze at all in the atmosphere. But, I guess when shooting at such extreme focal lengths it will pick up haze that you can't see with the naked eye.

drougge - when using the aperture ring on the lens, watching the aperture when I turn that 1 click, I see it close quite a bit actually. I'll also try going to f5.6 and try the adapter ring.

I tried a different setup this time - as I said earlier I use a tripod most of the time with my K-5 so am not afraid to get it out for this. This is my heaviest tripod spread all the way - as stable as I am going to get with what I have:

Now I have the FA* 300 4.5 on set one stop down on the aperture ring to f5.6. Also used the 2 second timer (which I think at times is not long enough for it to stabilize.

Now I am more than pleased with those first 2 images. I guess with the M150 if I had it tripod mounted and stopped down a little more I would get similar results?

I would like to talk a little more about the genuine Pentax adapter. I'm trying to understand what benefit having the leaf shutter in the adapter is compared to using the generic adapter which forces the electronic shutter in the camera. Will this help me in any way? I am kind of at a cross road here with the Q and am just not sure if throwing another $250 at this is going to give me $250 worth of difference. I'm not complaining about the price - just need to understand what the difference actually is for this kind of application.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
05-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
I have been playing with the Q and the K135/2.5. I was getting frustrated with hand held shots and image blurr. Then I tried changing the focal length I entered from 135 to 105 and voila,much sharper images hand held. I think the SR is over active because you grab the camera around the adaptor and crate a pivot point there as opposed to elsewhere or at the body itself

Just my $0.02
05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have been playing with the Q and the K135/2.5. I was getting frustrated with hand held shots and image blurr. Then I tried changing the focal length I entered from 135 to 105 and voila,much sharper images hand held. I think the SR is over active because you grab the camera around the adaptor and crate a pivot point there as opposed to elsewhere or at the body itself

Just my $0.02
Thanks you for that Lowell. Added to what you say I was bracing myself quite well when taking those shots. I will experiment with dropping the focal length entry.
05-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know I need to slow down and be patient with this setup.

Larry - I also noticed what looked to be haze in the images but there is now haze at all in the atmosphere. But, I guess when shooting at such extreme focal lengths it will pick up haze that you can't see with the naked eye.

drougge - when using the aperture ring on the lens, watching the aperture when I turn that 1 click, I see it close quite a bit actually. I'll also try going to f5.6 and try the adapter ring.

I tried a different setup this time - as I said earlier I use a tripod most of the time with my K-5 so am not afraid to get it out for this. This is my heaviest tripod spread all the way - as stable as I am going to get with what I have:



Now I have the FA* 300 4.5 on set one stop down on the aperture ring to f5.6. Also used the 2 second timer (which I think at times is not long enough for it to stabilize.







Now I am more than pleased with those first 2 images. I guess with the M150 if I had it tripod mounted and stopped down a little more I would get similar results?

I would like to talk a little more about the genuine Pentax adapter. I'm trying to understand what benefit having the leaf shutter in the adapter is compared to using the generic adapter which forces the electronic shutter in the camera. Will this help me in any way? I am kind of at a cross road here with the Q and am just not sure if throwing another $250 at this is going to give me $250 worth of difference. I'm not complaining about the price - just need to understand what the difference actually is for this kind of application.
Stan I would get comfortable with the Fotodiox first before spending more money.
The shutter is great for certain applications that involve hand holding, motion or flash.
For what you are trying to do, better to use a tripod.
In that case the Fotodiox should be enough for you to figure out if you like the results.
05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 55
I'd second the comments others have made about the lens's resolution compared to the Q's sensor. In my own testing - admittedly mostly dull shots of the same scene out my office window - most of the 35mm lenses were somewhat soft compared to cine lenses, which were designed to focus on a much smaller film frame. (I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentax Auto 110 lenses had much the same effect, but I haven't had the chance to play with any yet.)

For example, compare the M42 Takumar 1.4 with a C-mount Cosmicar 25mm - the Tak is supposed to be one of the better lenses out there, but on the Q the Cosmicar is better, IMHO.
05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Forum Member
M.Zein's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks you for that Lowell. Added to what you say I was bracing myself quite well when taking those shots. I will experiment with dropping the focal length entry.
Stan,
one more hint, try turning the SR OFF while using tripod (in case you have forgotten to switch it off)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, camera, focus, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, shutter, tree
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adapted lenses tested on the Q : the reference thread crewl1 Pentax Q 1054 11-06-2016 09:22 PM
Do M39 adapted lenses focus to infinity on the Q? GibbyTheMole Pentax Q 14 10-16-2013 07:49 AM
Q with Adapted Lens : Overheat? dualie Pentax Q 16 01-24-2013 07:38 AM
Help a noob relate the reach of a spotting scope to that of an adapted Q colonel00 Pentax Q 8 01-18-2013 03:48 PM
Adapted macro with the Q NeilGratton Pentax Q 4 01-15-2013 06:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top