Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2020, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #16

First became a Q (10) user in the fall of 2018. Three Q system cameras currently in use, and 4 as backups/museum pieces (Mint condition White Q; Mint condition Mint coloured Q10; Mint Condition Black and Yellow Q7; Mint condition red Q-S1). The ones I use are a white, battered (mainly by clumsy old me) Q, in good working order, for work with my 06, Pentax K-mount (50-200) lens and my Bolex lens; a black and silver Q10 (my first purchase) that has the 01 prime on at all times, and often the Q series viewfinder too; and a black Q-S1 in very good condition, that mainly has a trusty 02 lens on it, but occasionally the 08 one, for landscapes and video. All Q system cameras I ever bought cost $150-200). Cheap as chips in Japan. While I was initially disappointed that the Q 09 macro lens never saw the light of day, I bought a Ricoh GR digital III to cover that, for $50 and I love that too. If I never buy another camera now, I don't really think I'll ever feel like I'm missing out.

10-10-2020, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have two yellow Q7 bodies, one with the matching yellow 02 standard zoom. I also have all the lenses except the two “toy” lenses including the Lens Shield and Q/K converter. And I have a Ricoh GRIII.

Since acquiring the GRIII and to a lesser extent the Ricoh WG6 as my discrete/pocket cameras the Q7s seldom see the light anymore. In fact, I’ve already photographed one body and standard zoom lens with the wide-angle zoom and telephoto zoom in preparation for putting a 3 zoom Q7 kit for sale in the market place. I just haven’t overcome my personal inertia to write up the post. I’m figuring I’d keep one body, the prime, the fisheye, the lens shield and Q/K converter for their unusual optical attributes.
10-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
Unregistered User

I’m up to five (three Q-7, 2 Q-S1), I really only need two, but the deals were just too good to pass up (about three years ago), they all still work and I use them all. I've got all the lenses (except for the toys), and a ton of adapted lenses.

You can never have too many Qs!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-11-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
10-10-2020, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was posted 7 years ago!

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
had a black one for a while ,came with 01+02 then I purchased 06 now frantically looking for a white one while still potentially available but to no avail ( in Australia),
in the meantime I purchased silver MX-1 ( could not refused pentax.com.au great offer) , very enjoyable camera and my Q is not so lonely any more....
Yes, time flies.
Still have the Q and Q-s1 (both Black) with 01 , 02 , 06 and 08.
Can not imagine selling any of them in the near future.

10-11-2020, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2. Bought the original black Q the day it came out. Years later added an used black & chrome Q7. Wouldn't mind adding a Q-S1. If that happens, might as well get a Q10 to round out the collection.

Have all the lenses except the Toy tele. It's on the list. For those that don't own the Toy wide, you should. It's an amazing macro lens. Wide macro perspective with tons (for macro) depth of field. Totally different image style than the DFA100 & 200 A* macros on my Pentax DSLRs.

Thanks,
barondla
10-11-2020, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #21
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that an old thread suddenly comes back to life like this!

I have two Q7 (black and yellow), 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lens, and some adapters including Pentax OEM ones. Sadly, LCD of my black Q7 developed two "dead" pixels that are always bright green regardless of the camera state. OK for using menu but distracting when framing. I still use that camera but I'm happy that I bought two.
10-20-2020, 05:13 PM - 3 Likes   #22

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how it happened, but my wife has a pink and white Q10 with an 01 on it. I have a white Q with the lens converter on it, a red Q10 with a 02 on it, a black S1 with a 06 on it, a yellow Q7 with an 08 on it, and maybe one other somewhere...

10-21-2020, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I’m up to five (three Q-7, 2 Q-S1), I really only need two, but the deals were just too good to pass up (about three years ago), they all still work and I use them all. I've got all the lenses (except for the toys), and a ton of adapted lenses.

You can never have too many Qs!
I purchased a Q-7 shortly after joining here, after I decided that a “loupe” would make it usable outdoors.
Since then, I have proven this to myself, but an attached loupe makes it unwieldy, and I would not get another one without a built-in loupe {aka EVF}.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 10-21-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: add photo
10-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #24
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I purchased a Q-7 shortly after joining here, after I decided that a “loupe” would make it usable outdoors.Since then, I have proven this to myself, but an attached loupe makes it unwieldy, and I would not get another one without a built-in loupe {aka EVF}.
I've tried loupes as well, I agree that they generally make the Q unwieldly, except when using a tripod (for macros or telephoto.) I think the biggest attraction for me (besides the obvious weight and size difference) has been the absence of a viewfinder, I usually don't have a problem using the LCD display and the act of holding a camera up to your face intimidates subjects in a way that holding it at waist or chest level doesn't.

The EVFs I’ve looked through have problems of their own, the newer ones may be better, but they are usually found on extremely expensive cameras.
10-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I've tried loupes as well, I agree that they generally make the Q unwieldly, except when using a tripod (for macros or telephoto.) I think the biggest attraction for me (besides the obvious weight and size difference) has been the absence of a viewfinder, I usually don't have a problem using the LCD display and the act of holding a camera up to your face intimidates subjects in a way that holding it at waist or chest level doesn't.

The EVFs I’ve looked through have problems of their own, the newer ones may be better, but they are usually found on extremely expensive cameras.
Intimidating the subject has never been a problem when I photograph a landscape, a building or a train car {my usual subjects}.
You and I obviously have different use-cases.

I have seen very few successful MILCs without an EVF, even the less expensive ones - for example a Canon M50 with lens costs only $650 at B&H;
I don't remember the price at "Best Buy" when I tried it, but I almost purchased it - I probably would have left with it if I were willing to change brands again..

Last edited by reh321; 10-21-2020 at 09:40 AM.
10-23-2020, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

My small Q bag usually carries two bodies with multitudes of goodies such as adapters, AF extension tubes, filters, quick release neck straps, viewfinders, loupes, a dozen lenses with a flash, a half dozen batteries with a small tripod hanging off. I'm still looking for that cheap 08, it seems to be getting further away from me. =-(

The Q is why I switched to Pentax and why I've stuck with the brand for so long. The system is so versatile, fun and weird at the same time it's hard to say no.
10-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CheepShot Quote
The Q is why I switched to Pentax and why I've stuck with the brand for so long. The system is so versatile, fun and weird at the same time it's hard to say no.
I also switched {back} to Pentax because of the Q{-7}, but I will not purchase another one because of the lack of an EVF - using it outside is just too difficult for me.
10-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

We're a two Q family. I got my wife a Q after she spotted one in a pawnshop and thought it was "cute". After I had a chance to use hers a bit, I saw that it was a serious camera so I bought a body for myself to use as a carry-around camera.
10-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I saw that it was a serious camera so I bought a body for myself to use as a carry-around camera.
Yes, it can be used for serious work.
After I purchased mine, my "primary camera" - a Canon Rebel - failed.

Instead of panicking, I used my Q-7 for a while, despite an upcoming trip to Canada and our daughter's receiving her Master's degree {which we already knew would be last time someone in our immediate family would receive a degree}, and patiently looked for a new "primary camera" while I used my Q-7 instead during that time.
01-09-2021, 01:13 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Q and Q7. I bought the original Q (black) along with the Standard, Prime, Standard Zoom, and both Toy lenses for $300 ANIB off Facebook. I then purchased a used 06 Telephoto zoom. I liked using the Q enough that when I saw a low shutter count silver Q-7 body on ebay at a great price, I bought it too. Then the Pentax K to Q leaf shutter adapter from Japan. I sold both toy lenses, bough a used Fisheye and finally the wide angle zoom, the only item purchased new.

I haven’t used the original Q since acquiring the Q7. Performance of the larger sensor in the Q7, plus focus peaking, make it a much better photo machine. It makes a nice travel camera with just the two zoom lenses. Lately, the Q7 has been my extreme macro camera. Using the Q to K adapter with a 50 or 100mm macro lens. Easy. I used the IR remote and electronic shutter to get vibration free photos.

I’ve tried the Q and Q7 with the Q-K adapter for extreme telephoto work but had limited success. The LCD screen is just too low resolution to focus precisely. A magnification hood helps, but it just magnifies the too large already pixels. The LCD display is, in my opinion, the weak point of all Q series cameras.