Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2021, 06:54 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I have a Q and Q7. I bought the original Q (black) along with the Standard, Prime, Standard Zoom, and both Toy lenses for $300 ANIB off Facebook. I then purchased a used 06 Telephoto zoom. I liked using the Q enough that when I saw a low shutter count silver Q-7 body on ebay at a great price, I bought it too. Then the Pentax K to Q leaf shutter adapter from Japan. I sold both toy lenses, bough a used Fisheye and finally the wide angle zoom, the only item purchased new.

I haven’t used the original Q since acquiring the Q7. Performance of the larger sensor in the Q7, plus focus peaking, make it a much better photo machine. It makes a nice travel camera with just the two zoom lenses. Lately, the Q7 has been my extreme macro camera. Using the Q to K adapter with a 50 or 100mm macro lens. Easy. I used the IR remote and electronic shutter to get vibration free photos.

I’ve tried the Q and Q7 with the Q-K adapter for extreme telephoto work but had limited success. The LCD screen is just too low resolution to focus precisely. A magnification hood helps, but it just magnifies the too large already pixels. The LCD display is, in my opinion, the weak point of all Q series cameras.
There must also be a lot of “disinvestment”. Several years ago I asked eBay to tell me if another Q-7 or Q-S1 hit their market, and almost every day they tell me of more. There have been so many that I don’t typically investigate further.

01-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There must also be a lot of “disinvestment”. Several years ago I asked eBay to tell me if another Q-7 or Q-S1 hit their market, and almost every day they tell me of more. There have been so many that I don’t typically investigate further.
The Q7 is the pinnacle of the Q series and the only one I would buy again. They went strictly for cosmetics on the Q-S1 with no improvements. As for “Disinvestment” you will note that well over eighty percent of the sellers are based in Japan, just like every other less common Pentax item.
01-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #33

steamloco76
"They went strictly for cosmetics on the Q-S1 with no improvements."

Continuous movie Autofocus on the Q7?

---------- Post added 01-09-21 at 07:21 PM ----------

barondla: "For those that don't own the Toy wide, you should. It's an amazing macro lens. Wide macro perspective with tons (for macro) depth of field."

The 04 and 05 lenses are the only ones in the series I don't own. Both have dropped below $30 on Amazon Japan. Maybe I should just complete the collection - you certainly got me thinking!
01-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyinJapan Quote
steamloco76"They went strictly for cosmetics on the Q-S1 with no improvements."Continuous movie Autofocus on the Q7?
The auto focus does work in video mode in the Q-S1, but only with the 01, 02, and 08 lenses. It isn't real speedy, but does a nice job if you aren't following action. I think there are some changes in the effects dial, but I'm not sure about that.

The cosmetics on the Q-S1 are much worse—the hard-edged effects dial and IR port hurt my hands and make it not much fun to use all day.

I usually end up taking a couple of my Q-7s if I'm going on a trip or a taking pictures at a concert.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-09-2021 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
01-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

They went strictly for cosmetics on the Q-S1 with no improvements. As for “Disinvestment” you will note that well over eighty percent of the sellers are based in Japan, just like every other less common Pentax item.
The “Q” was said to be aimed at the Japanese ‘school girl’ population, so most of the sales were probably in Japan then;
logically we would expect lots of sales from there now.
01-10-2021, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The “Q” was said to be aimed at the Japanese ‘school girl’ population, so most of the sales were probably in Japan then;
Too bad Pentax didn’t aim the Q at the “Grumpy forum member” population, they could have sold thousands more.
01-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I usually end up taking a couple of my Q-7s if I'm going on a trip or a taking pictures at a concert.
Me too.

01-11-2021, 04:36 AM   #38

reh321 "The “Q” was said to be aimed at the Japanese ‘school girl’ population,"

I must say, even for fear of sounding like a hentai that the first white Q that I bought second-hand smelled absolutely lovely - like it had been in the possession of a well-heeled and nicely perfumed young lady for quite a spell of time. I was quite taken with its aroma. Your comment seems quite plausible.
01-11-2021, 01:29 PM - 8 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Pentax Q Collection
by John Flores, on Flickr
08-01-2021, 03:41 AM   #40
Pentaxian

too bad pentax didn’t aim the q at the “grumpy forum member” population, they could have sold thousands more.
lol
08-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Too bad Pentax didn’t aim the Q at the “Grumpy forum member” population, they could have sold thousands more.
I use only one at a time, so I wouldn’t purchase another unless that failed.
08-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyinJapan Quote
reh321 "The “Q” was said to be aimed at the Japanese ‘school girl’ population,"

I must say, even for fear of sounding like a hentai that the first white Q that I bought second-hand smelled absolutely lovely - like it had been in the possession of a well-heeled and nicely perfumed young lady for quite a spell of time. I was quite taken with its aroma. Your comment seems quite plausible.
Hilarious. But yes. Plausible.
08-29-2021, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to just have my Q7 - but thanks to a generous present from a fellow Pentaxian, I now also have an original Q (though for some time it had some operational worries, which seem to be resolved now).

They make a great pair.
Attached Images

11-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
If so how do you have them setup?
I have 3. 1 q-s1 that I use. 2 Q, the spouse uses one and the other has not powered on (stopped) for some time now. It's a paperweight currently.
12-01-2021, 05:33 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I use only one at a time, so I wouldn’t purchase another unless that failed.
I have now purchased a Q-S1.
I still use them one at a time, but my Q-7 was starting to show it age.
Sometimes I would have to do a “hard reboot” {remove the battery for a few seconds} before it would enable the shutter.
The sellers seem to record all the data they think is important and then package them up, so I had a hard time finding a seller who could even tell me what the ‘shutter count’ {my proxy for usage}, but one actually advertised it had been used only 112 times - the actual count was closer to 100} for $300. I don’t expect Pentax to manufacture any more, so I bought it. My “Q” has found a place as the camera I take with me when I need something that is light or discrete.