Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

03 Fisheye Lens

Hi everyone,

I just received my 03 Fisheye lens. I was wondering if it's normal that the front cap doesn't have the word pentax on it? And also is the focus ring meant to be like free turning? Like really really smooth?

Thanks!

05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vica Quote
Hi everyone,

I just received my 03 Fisheye lens. I was wondering if it's normal that the front cap doesn't have the word pentax on it? And also is the focus ring meant to be like free turning? Like really really smooth?

Thanks!
Sounds normal. Although it doesn't say "toy" on it like some of the others, it is basically in that vein. The "serious" lenses -- the 01, 02, & 06, have nice caps, autofocus, and built-in shutters, while the toy variety are simple no-frills manual focus with cheapo unbranded caps.
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Sounds normal. Although it doesn't say "toy" on it like some of the others, it is basically in that vein. The "serious" lenses -- the 01, 02, & 06, have nice caps, autofocus, and built-in shutters, while the toy variety are simple no-frills manual focus with cheapo unbranded caps.
+1 I purchased mine from a reputable dealer, it is as you describe. The 03, 04, 05 are not the same as 01, 02, 06
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Conpletely normal. The cap is MUCH DEEPER because its a FE lens.

05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

it's actually the same cap that the 04 toy wide takes. it will never come off accidentally!

Q: the toy lenses focus past infinity, which is annoying in practice. Anybody ever taken one apart to re-calibrate so there's a dead stop at infinity ?
05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
it's actually the same cap that the 04 toy wide takes. it will never come off accidentally!

Q: the toy lenses focus past infinity, which is annoying in practice. Anybody ever taken one apart to re-calibrate so there's a dead stop at infinity ?
Probably a bad idea because of very small changes in the geometry of the lens due to changes in environmental conditions.
05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Probably a bad idea because of very small changes in the geometry of the lens due to changes in environmental conditions.
Yep. That's why they're made that way. Anyway, the DOF is a lot with a fisheye, so infinity will likely be in focus even if you just crank it to the end of the range.
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Not true with this lens. There is a very small range in which anything is in focus at all. All the way to either end is grossly out of focus. I'm sure it's that way due to the small size and manufacturing tolerances.

Just got mine in yesterday. Seems like a lot of fun so far.

05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

03 seems unique in the range

I got mine from Adorama when the price went under $100 - haven't had an opportunity to test it out extensively yet. First impression regarding build, focus and feel is not as good as apparent results.

Certainly the lens is not in the same class as the units with shutters, etc. However, optically the 03 goes far beyond the two toy lenses in two important ways:

First, f/5.6 is wide enough that diffusion isn't a crippling factor. In fact, I have found that even very high-IQ adapted lenses tend to perform best at f/5.6 (only a few are better at f/4).
The toy lenses are diffraction limited due to their small openings; the fall off past f/5.6 on the Q is steep.

Second, take a good look at the coatings on the 03 and you will see Pentax is serious about yielding good, high-contrast results and guarding against flare from direct light - important on ultra-wide lenses. The lens seems very close to the IQ of the 10-17 on APS-c, and that's a very good showing.

Personally, I feel Pentax made a mistake by introducing the Toy lenses with the start-up of the Q system. It signaled to me that it wasn't a serious photographic tool. Once good shooters started yielding impressive results, especially with some fine images taken with adapted long lenses, I rethought my initial impression. The adapter should have come out on Day 1, and the Toy lenses could have waited. Many of the serious camera rating sites also dismissed the system without a test - and I think it was based on a similar reaction - and that's a shame.
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree for these short focal lengths there's too much adjustment to allow just for temperature changes. I think it more likely it's just to reduce manufacturing costs. Most manual focus lenses have always had a dead stop at infinity.
For the 03 fish the solution is simple .. just tape the focus at the position shown in all the (Pentax) product pics, which is one big notch to the left of center - unless you're going for inches close macro.
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
For the 03 fish the solution is simple .. just tape the focus at the position shown in all the (Pentax) product pics, which is one big notch to the left of center.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing last night after playing with this lens. That's the position on the distance "scale" that gave me any decent results. I'll give it a shot with some gaffer tape.
05-10-2013, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

also try these settings: saturation +1, key -2, contrast +4, sharp +2
they work out really good for me! many of these Aerial & VR Panoramas are with the 03 ..