Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax Q 52mm Reversing Mount

Hi, I bought a Pentax Q with multitudes of adapters on the way. The first one that came was a 52mm Reversing Mount and I've had no luck with it. I've tried a 50/1.8 and a 90/2.8 macro with and without a 2x TC so far. Any tips on which lens to use this with?
Thanks

05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Qlub. A reversing adapter is for macro. The lens will only focus at one distance- and it will be very close. Probably less than 3". The lens focusing ring doesn't affect the focus in reversed mode. Focus by moving camera closer or further away.Didn't know this adapter was available. Cool.
thanks
barondla
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Needs to be a prime lens. Zooms rarely work reversed. 50mm lens is one of the most commonly used. At this magnification there will be only a mm or two of dof with a fast 50mm wide open. Try closing the lens down to approx f5.6 and move camera back and forth to find focus. Camera will be close to the subject. With some lenses almost bumping the subject. Easiest to move camera on a slider (macro focusing rail). If your tripod uses Arca style QR they can be used as a make shift slider. Don't give up. It is hard to work at these magnifications. Can be hard to even frame the subject. I am working on a fix for that.
thanks
barondla
05-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

ok so i tried with an M50/1.4 reversed. at first i couldn't see anything, then i went outside and found the the point of focus is a lil over a foot away with pretty good magnification. there are so many macro options and possibilities with the Q .. this is just one to experiment with.

05-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No luck for me so far. I'd like to see what you come up with.
05-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Wouldn't have guessed the focus distance to be around 1 foot. Guess the slr cameras I tried, in the past, focused closer because of the extension provided by the mirror box. I will try the Pentax Q-K adapter with the reversing ring to see what happens.
thanks
barondla
05-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah i was surprised myself, i think it has to do with less overall extension when using the reversing Q ring vs a K adapter + K reverse ring.
05-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After rereading the posts, it sounds like you are referring to a reversing adapter on some other mount, then an adapter to the Q. The one I purchased from amazon was a direct 52mm reversing mount to the Q. If anyone has been able to get a usable image, I'd like to find out how it's done. DigitalArt is probably right, that you probably need a 52mm extension tube.

05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

CheepShot, I had a chance to play with reversed lenses on the Q.
I don't have a direct Q-52mm macro reversing ring like yours. So I put a UV filter on the lens to mimic your adapter and held it over the lens mount. There is not enough extension to focus even at infinity. Closer focus would require even more extension. Since there is no known Q extension tube in the universe we have to improvise. Try stacking multiple filter rings (glass removed) to get the setup to work. It could take a lot of rings!

Next I tried a 28mm reversed lens and it gave glorious closeup capabilty. No extension required. Doesn't matter who makes the 28. Can find lenses for $10 or less in orphaned mounts from a B&M camera store. Where did you get the Q reverse adapter?

Tried using the Pentax Q-PK adapter with PK-49mm reverse ring/ Pentax A50 1.7 This combo worked fine. Focus was probably about 7" away. Handheld with Pentax 540 flash.

Hope this helps
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 05-27-2013 at 02:53 PM.
05-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No extension is required, I have the same Q reverse ring (52mm FILTER size) from Amazon - I know b/c it was a bonus points freebie. It most def focuses a 50mm reversed about a foot away .. try again in good light.
05-27-2013, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Your reverse adapter must have more depth than a filter ring. I have to pull the lens away from the Q lens mount to reach infinity focus. It is also possible that different 50mm lenses may require different spacing when reversed. The 28mm lens will focus very close without even the filter ring extension. Interesting stuff.
thanks
barondla

Ants taken with reversed A50mm f1.7, Pentax Q-PK adapter, Pentax AF540 flash shot thru diffusion dome. Camera was handheld.
Attached Images

05-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I will dig around for a 28mm with a 52mm filter thread and give that a try. I tried the Nikon 50mm 1.2 and a 50mm 1.8 as well as a Sigma 90mm. Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear that it does work. I bought it off of Amazon.

Super sharp shot of those ants, nice!
05-28-2013, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

The 28mm would not have to use a 52mm filter. You can always use an adapter ring to step up or down in size.
Doesn't even have to be a 28mm lens. The wider the lens the greater the magnification when reversed.
have fun
barondla

Thanks for the comment on the ant picture.
06-04-2013, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and showing me that it works. I was successful with a Nikkor 35mm F2. The macro abilities are impressive.

Pentax-Q with reversing ring and 35mm lens. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by CheepShot; 06-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.