Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Can I remove the IR Filter of Pentax Q?

A friend want a Pentax Q for IR photography. But only if he can remove the IR filter of the Q.

05-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
A friend want a Pentax Q for IR photography. But only if he can remove the IR filter of the Q.
I don't think the Q has an IR blocking filter. I've started to use mine for IR photography. It works quite well.
05-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Fairly sure the Q has an IR blocking filter. It seems to have about the same IR sensitivity as my IR filtered Pentax dslrs. Friend has IR modified dslr and his exposures are around 1/125. My Q exposures are measured in seconds. There are places that modify Pentax Q for IR.
thanks
barondla
05-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
I don't think the Q has an IR blocking filter. I've started to use mine for IR photography. It works quite well.
Dumb question: How do you enable it for IR? I wanna try my hand at some IR with it. :-)

05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Dumb question: How do you enable it for IR? I wanna try my hand at some IR with it. :-)
A sensor is, by itself, usually sensitive to IR light. The problems are the IR-blocking filter (blocks IR light but lets visible light by) that most manufacturers put in front of the sensor, and visible light. The blocking filter can be removed (Sometimes this is simple, sometimes not so much). The visible light is blocked with an IR-passing filter (blocks visible lilght but lets IR by).

So if you get your IR-blocking filter removed and use an IR-pass filter, you'll only expose the sensor to IR light.

Of course, then you have to account for the fact that focusing is off (and optical focusing is impossible if the IR-pass filter is in front of the lens. That will make Phase Detect AF ineffective as well). You'll want Live View and Contrast Detect AF. But then you're pretty much set.
05-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
So if you get your IR-blocking filter removed and use an IR-pass filter, you'll only expose the sensor to IR light.
Thanks for the reply. I actually knew about the filter removal on DSLRs, but sundr said the Q had no such filter to remove, and he was using the Q for IR. Of course, now I spot barondla's post that the Q does have an IR blocking filter, so I dunno...
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The Q does have an IR setting in the B&W menu that processes the picture to look like IR. It is processing only. Would love for the Q20 to have a removable IR filter that seals the body opening like some Sigma DSLRs. Put it in when you want normal pics and twist it out for IR. This would be another feature other mirrorless cameras lack, and it would be darn fun.

The Q does well with an IR filter over the lens, if used on a tripod.

thanks
barondla
05-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

The Q is good with a tripod and a 720mm IR filter, hand holding is possible at high ISO but results in grainier shots. I was using mine for IR yesterday. Just another thing that makes the Q versatile. Small but powerful for multitasking - macro, 5.6 x lens for long lens effect, and IR. I have not tried the in camera IR effect for black and white but will now. Removing the in camera IR filter has to be on a small scale, probably possible but I would be worried about getting dust on the sensor at the same time. I will stick with the longer exposures as most of the good IR pictures involve a picture where I don't have to worry about stopping a moving object.

05-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Fairly sure the Q has an IR blocking filter. It seems to have about the same IR sensitivity as my IR filtered Pentax dslrs. Friend has IR modified dslr and his exposures are around 1/125. My Q exposures are measured in seconds. There are places that modify Pentax Q for IR.
thanks
barondla
I'm sure your right barondla. Mea Culpa! I found myself pushed for time and logged off before finishing my reply. I based my mistaken impression on a simple little test I picked up from a few websites and youtube videos. I aimed a TV remote at the lens and looked at the screen. The IR light from the remote passes through showing a white dot. The K5 only shows a purple smudge. This seems to put the IR blocking of the Q at the same level as many point and shoots. I got shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1 sec with ISO 125 and f4. I've yet to try higher ISOs or wider aperture.

But I'm no expert at this so may be that test represents only a small difference in IR blocking.

Last edited by sundr; 05-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.