Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bounced Flash: P-TTL, Auto or Manual?

I want a flash to bounced to the ceiling. But I don't know what mode is best for this: P-TTL, Auto or Manual?
It's important because this determinate what flash I will buy.

About Guide Number:
What is the enough guide number for bounced flash to the ceiling? GN20?

About Auto:
An old flash like the Nikon SB-28 have Auto in the Q? Or only old Pentax flash have it?

About P-TTL:
P-TTL generate a Pre-Flash? (a short light before the real flash light)
The 540, 360, 200 and 160 have P-TTL on Q. Is there another P-TTL Pentax flash on Q? (I mean, an old version)

05-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot in manual. I find this give me the best consistency and once you get a feel of the light falloff, you can plan your shots to a good degree.

GN20 doesn't sound like much, however how far away the ceiling or the wall is matters a lot.

P-TTL generates a pre-flash unless I'm mistaken. But unlike red-eye reduction related pre-flash, this one is much quicker and hardly, if at all, noticeable.
05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I shoot in manual. I find this give me the best consistency and once you get a feel of the light falloff, you can plan your shots to a good degree.

GN20 doesn't sound like much, however how far away the ceiling or the wall is matters a lot.

P-TTL generates a pre-flash unless I'm mistaken. But unlike red-eye reduction related pre-flash, this one is much quicker and hardly, if at all, noticeable.
Now I know that I need a manual flash.Thanks a lot!
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait. Do you want to do ON CAMERA bounce flash with a Q? The flash will be larger than the camera body, and very unwieldy.

Is it possible, for your scenario, to use off camera flash and a radio trigger? Of course this means manual settings on both camera and flash, but you are certain to get a consistent look to your work. On the plus side a cheap radio trigger set and an old manual flash could be had for well under $100

05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax should show some commitment by releasing a P-TTL flash for the Q. I just got a few Auto 110 lenses and noticed the 1/13 flash limitation. Fortunately I do have a Cactus V and a manual flash.
05-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
No. I want use the Q for birthdays of friends and thing like that. I can't mount a flash in a tripod. So I need on camera bounce flash.

I think in Metz 40 mz because it have continuos light also.
Or something smaller like the Metz 20 C-2 but it always fire maximum power, I don't like that.
05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
No. I want use the Q for birthdays of friends and thing like that. I can't mount a flash in a tripod. So I need on camera bounce flash.

I think in Metz 40 mz because it have continuos light also.
Or something smaller like the Metz 20 C-2 but it always fire maximum power, I don't like that.
Elvis, you done need to mount the external flash on a stand to use a trigger. You could, for example, hold it in your other hand, or set it down on a table, or hide it in a corner.... lots of options. More options than just shoving a flash in the hot shoe. The only drawback is you will not have P-TTL available. So you are back to the start of your quest. You probably should look for a flash that has an Auto function. Also, look for one that has a high guide number. As Zafar Iqbal correctly observed earlier, GN 20 is not very powerful. Don't forget you will lose a lot of your flash power when bouncing, as you have approximately twice the distance (or more) for the light to travel.

As far as an alternate pentax Flash with P-TTL is concerned, the older AFZ 500 'MAY' work. I have this flash and a Q, I'll do a test later tonight and let you know. But that flash is even bigger than the AFZ 540, so would look a little silly on a Q...
05-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks wizofoz. I know I can do that. But I don't want to by the freak guy with a little camera in his hand and a huge flash in the other haha
I prefer the flash over the camera, even with a big flash.
The 500 in Amazon is $350... I can't pay more than $100. So I look an used flash or a chinese Yongnuo or something like that.

05-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
Thanks wizofoz. I know I can do that. But I don't want to by the freak guy with a little camera in his hand and a huge flash in the other haha
I prefer the flash over the camera, even with a big flash.
The 500 in Amazon is $350... I can't pay more than $100. So I look an used flash or a chinese Yongnuo or something like that.
just tried the 500, and cannot get it to fire on the Q hotshoe. The 540 fired first time on ther same settings. Dunno why.

Also, I just checked eekbay and you can pick up a 500 from between $70 used to $350 new, but thats pretty useless if it doesnt work on the Q
05-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
just tried the 500, and cannot get it to fire on the Q hotshoe. The 540 fired first time on ther same settings. Dunno why.

Also, I just checked eekbay and you can pick up a 500 from between $70 used to $350 new, but thats pretty useless if it doesnt work on the Q
Are you sure that you turn off the pop-up flash? If it's on external flashes don't fire

I am in Argentina. The shipping and the taxes are hilarious and I haven't a credit card. So I contract an importator that import the product, and I pay he the 55% of the product. For example for a $100 lens I pay he $155. It's a normal thing here.
But the importator only imports product from big and secures places like B&H, Amazon or Adorama. No from EBay.

Recently I discover the B&H Used Department. This is the 500? Used Pentax AF-500 FTZ TTL Shoe Mount Flash 30367 B&H Photo
05-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I changed the options to have the flash "off" when retracted, the 540 fires, the 500 does not. I changed the setting to "on" but there is no difference.

Wow, that is some markup! 55%! Maybe there is a business opportunity for you to import things and sell them....

yes, that is the 500, which is basically the ancestor of the 540.
05-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh bad news
Even in Manual the 500 can't fire on Q?