Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Slow raw performance?

I am surprised and disappointed that it takes 4-5 seconds for my Q to record a raw file. I tried disabling processing functions; DR expansion, lens corrections, NR. I tried three different cards. Nothing I did changed the record speed, except changing to jpegs. Is there anything I've missed, or is the Q just this slow in raw format?

05-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Q is pretty much a one shot camera in Raw format, I haven't clocked the recording times though.
05-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check your SD card also and firmware.
05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange, I get raws written on my Q in under 2 seconds of light blinking, but am able to keep shooting all the while (up to 5 images, then there's a pause for another 2 seconds). I'm using a 16Gb Lexar Professional class 10 "133x" card, and the latest firmware, if that helps. I always shoot raw, even on the Q.

Of course, I also have a Sigma DP2 Merrill, which takes 8-10 seconds to write a single raw to the same kind of card... and you can do nothing else with the camera except watch the light blink away!

05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried this and Iwas knocking off RAW shots at a nice clip. I do notice that it takes longer to review the RAW shot, but that is to be expected.
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Of course, I also have a Sigma DP2 Merrill, which takes 8-10 seconds to write a single raw to the same kind of card... and you can do nothing else with the camera except watch the light blink away!
Really? My DP2M lets me keep taking pictures even when it's busy saving the previous one, at least until the 7-shot buffer is filled. You can't do anything else except take pictures, but I'd say taking pictures is the most important feature of any camera.