Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So i just sent my buddy this picture of my cat on AIM and asked if it's Q or X-Pro1 and of course he thought it was the X-Pro1... I can't wait to do next weeks Blog post. I will make it interesting. I will post up at least 40 pictures or more and mark each pictures with "Camera A, Camera B, Camera C" on each picture . We will be using the Pentax Q, X-Pro1 and the OM-D. Each upload will be sized the same and at the end of the post I will add a poll with the camera names and guess which Letter belongs to which camera. Kind of similar to what I have done before with my Fiance on a shootout challenge with my Fiance http://www.bokehdreams.com/grimmy-vs-plummy/

05-23-2013, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmy Quote
Wow thanks for the advice! I just placed an order for the metal lens hood you recommended! Thanks again
You're welcome. It's a solid piece of kit and well worth the money to improve contrast and protect the lens.
05-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Regarding a CPL.... The Marumi DHG Super are very nice with a low profile. DHG version about 35USD, Super DHG about 50USD in 40.5mm. Both are multi-coated, BTW. Pair nicely with MH RA40 5 or equivalent.

I need those squeeze caps.
25mm Filter Thread Lens Plastic Center Pinch Lens Cap Black for Canon Nikon Sony | eBay
$1.99 from China - takes around 2 weeks.

Adorama 25mm Plastic Snap on Lens Cap LC25 | eBay
$14.16 from Adorama - takes about a week.
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Grimmy, I'm looking forward to your post. Have fun.

Docwrm, Thank you. At those prices I won't be so angry losing yet another lens cap.

tclausen, Are Pentax branded filters actually manufactured by Hoya? Just curious.

05-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Grimmy, I'm looking forward to your post. Have fun.

Docwrm, Thank you. At those prices I won't be so angry losing yet another lens cap.

tclausen, Are Pentax branded filters actually manufactured by Hoya? Just curious.
There's no way to know who made the Pentax filters unless they have changed the markings/packaging. Yes, the small plastic squeeze caps are easier to use but also easier to loose - however, the metal ones are HARD to replace and a pain to put on and off.
05-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There's no way to know who made the Pentax filters unless they have changed the markings/packaging.
Correct. The packaging says just Pentax, didn't see any Hoya, Ricoh or other marking on there.

They're good filters, though
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So i just sent my buddy this picture of my cat on AIM and asked if it's Q or X-Pro1 and of course he thought it was the X-Pro1... I can't wait to do next weeks Blog post. I will make it interesting. I will post up at least 40 pictures or more and mark each pictures with "Camera A, Camera B, Camera C" on each picture . We will be using the Pentax Q, X-Pro1 and the OM-D. Each upload will be sized the same and at the end of the post I will add a poll with the camera names and guess which Letter belongs to which camera. Kind of similar to what I have done before with my Fiance on a shootout challenge with my Fiance Grimmy vs Plummy — BokehDreams
Really, the only way they'll be able to tell, at web sizes, is by the DOF. You'll have to stop the lenses down quite a bit on the X-Pro1 so you don't give them a big hint, and by then they might soften.

05-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Really, the only way they'll be able to tell, at web sizes, is by the DOF. You'll have to stop the lenses down quite a bit on the X-Pro1 so you don't give them a big hint, and by then they might soften.
And, strip EXIF....
05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #24

Original Poster

Oh yes I deff will do something about the DOF I'm sorry I keep posting pictures of my cats but just having so much fun. Hey guys I think i'm going to buy the Fisheye 03 Lens. I found it on Amazon for $96.95 Amazon.com: Pentax 03 Fish-Eye Lens for Pentax Q: Camera & Photo What do you guys think of this? I got the Samyang 8mm for the X-Pro1 and it's really fun I can imagine how a fisheye on the Q will be

Last edited by Grimmy; 05-24-2013 at 04:24 AM.
05-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Oh yes I deff will do something about the DOF I'm sorry I keep posting pictures of my cats but just having so much fun. Hey guys I think i'm going to buy the Fisheye 03 Lens. I found it on Amazon for $96.95 Amazon.com: Pentax 03 Fish-Eye Lens for Pentax Q: Camera & Photo What do you guys think of this? I got the Samyang 8mm for the X-Pro1 and it's really fun I can imagine how a fisheye on the Q will be
You can do better than that price for the 03 FE lens used, and its a great fun little lens. Just remember that its Manual focus but its depth of field is HUGE so focusing is pretty effortless.

Adorama & B&H each have it for $96 with FS
http://www.adorama.com/IPXQFE.html?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=801544&Q=&is=REG&A=details
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Oh and before I forget my Fiance loved the Q so much she is buying one too to use along with her OM-D. Cheers!!
We also are a two-Q family. My wife wanted to learn more about photography by having us shoot identical cameras. We had two Lumix G1s but then I showed her the super discount on Q+02 - she said "ooo that one!" . In with the Qs, and out with micro-43. My zoom has the silver hood and Pentax neck strap, hers has a wrist strap and black hood. And my shirt's the Limited design, hers is the control dial..

05-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In all my years of manically buying and depressively selling and manically re-buying and depressively re-selling Pentax cameras and lenses just twice has my wife commented at all. Once, when I received a K2DMD back from Eric the same day I received an Optio A40 at close-out from Amazon, I excitedly opened the box from Eric and simply fondled the penultimate K-body camera. My wife, with a petulant tone in her voice, said, "Gee. I want a neat camera, too - ooooh - ooh."

I simply handed her the box from B&H and replied, "Well, then, Happy Birthday! Early. OK?" (Happy wife, and all that We wrapped it up and opened it again that Sunday for the party - and I sneaked in a little LowePro case to boot).

Today she asked whether her "old" camera is good enough to take pictures of rare books she plans to view on a trip to a museum in Colorado. I have one of the Q / 02 deal cameras from NewEgg - my third Q, about which I feel kind of guilty - sitting on my desk, unopened.

Happy Wife .........