Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Feeling upset. Pentax Q thoughts.

ok I have to admit. I'm sure the title is a bit misleading and some of you clicked on this thread thinking that I would be bashing the Q but it's the total opposite. I'm upset because so many people don't realize the power this little guy holds! I'm sorry to bash on some of my photography friends that I shoot with but wow your missing out dudes. I got comments when i posted up on my facebook when I mentioned that my Pentax Q came in mail I received comments like"You serious?", "Pentax Q!?! what about your Fuji!? Why would you need a Q!", "Q..UIT PLAYING AROUND!" So After 1 shot of my cat jumping with the Q all of a sudden I got a bunch of likes and a "Damn.." comment from the same person who said why get a Q. I decided that next week I will take this little badboy to the city and do some street shooting. I will leave the X-Pro1 at home. So far I am in love with this camera. I can't believe I'm saying this but I find this camera more fun to use than my X-Pro1 in certain situations Looks and specs arent always everything I proved that to my friends when they saw the shots I took with my old Fujifilm A101 Digital camera Fuji A101 — BokehDreams I will be making a full user experience review of the Pentax Q and what I think about it and prove all of those non-believers wrong. With a little love and Raw editing you can really make this camera shine. I will be posting up that review update here too. Oh and before I forget my Fiance loved the Q so much she is buying one too to use along with her OM-D. Cheers!!

Last edited by Grimmy; 05-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's an energetic cat. What did you put on top of the refrigerator? I wish I could afford to get the 01 prime for mine, maybe someday. The 02/stabilization/flash combo is doing well by my wife for indoor shots of the kids.
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tiny but Mighty! Too many photo snobs around any more. The little Q is not a dSLR but its got its own thing going on and what it does well, it does extremely well IMHO.

BTW, the Q seems to have made the object appear larger - man that Fuji is BIG.
05-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
That's an energetic cat. What did you put on top of the refrigerator? I wish I could afford to get the 01 prime for mine, maybe someday. The 02/stabilization/flash combo is doing well by my wife for indoor shots of the kids.
I used a laser pointer lol

05-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Tiny but Mighty! Too many photo snobs around any more. The little Q is not a dSLR but its got its own thing going on and what it does well, it does extremely well IMHO.

BTW, the Q seems to have made the object appear larger - man that Fuji is BIG.
Yeah all of a sudden my friend who was talking smack about it wants to use it again lol. The Fuji is huge and my hands are big since im 6'2. The Q fits perfect and plan on taking it to Manhattan next week
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Grimmy... When you share your street shots be sure and tell everyone they originate from your X-Pro1. Note the reactions and then tell the truth. It could be fun. :-)

I once did something similar with a $7 Soviet made 35mm rangefinder after claiming to have used a borrowed Leica M6.
05-22-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Grimmy... When you share your street shots be sure and tell everyone they originate from your X-Pro1. Note the reactions and then tell the truth. It could be fun. :-)

I once did something similar with a $7 Soviet made 35mm rangefinder after claiming to have used a borrowed Leica M6.
Yeah, that's the ticket!
05-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ignore the morons... Enjoy your Q. It's chock fulla awesome!

The little Q is not a dSLR
Maybe not... but it's pretty darn close.

05-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Original Poster

You read my mind my friend. I am actually going to do exactly that. My fiance also wants to take part in this so we will be using her Olympus OM-D with her Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 and me with the X-Pro1 and Pentax Q. I will be making a huge post with a lot of pictures to show people that the Q with the right editing and settings can be as good as the OM-D and X-Pro1.

Just for kicks I typed "Pentax Q Sucks" on google and saw how many people argued about how bad the Q handles.. people mentioning returning it, Save your money, Horrible Fake Bokeh... Gosh.. Obviously they don't know that Photography is an art and you have to master something in order to be satisfied with the results. I used to work in Geek Squad and remember when a customer came to my department and wanted to return his Panasonic GF1 because it doesn't look professional. He kept saying "I want Nikon!" I mentioned Pentax and he said "I never heard of that I only go for what I seen in commercials with Ashton Kutcher he uses Nikon!. -.- well anyway Expect this to be a fun post hehe
05-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #10

You need to get a lens hood for the prime, dude!
Much better contrast und it (the metal screw-on-thingy) looks groovy on the white q!
05-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
You need to get a lens hood for the prime, dude!
Much better contrast und it (the metal screw-on-thingy) looks groovy on the white q!
YES to the hood - that's probably the best investment in IQ on the 01 (And, generally, any camera).

FWIW, you can stick a pol-filter on the lens, and stack the hood on it, without getting annoying vignetting....may be handy.
05-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Looks good on the lens and works a treat.
JJC Metal Lens Hood with Cap for Pentax Q 8 5mm Lens Replace MH RA40 5 | eBay

I recommend a squeeze cap for the hood as well, the screw in one is a pain in the field. 25mm is what you need BTW. They can be had for $5-8 for 5 or $2 or so for 1.
05-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
Looks good on the lens and works a treat.
JJC Metal Lens Hood with Cap for Pentax Q 8 5mm Lens Replace MH RA40 5 | eBay

I recommend a squeeze cap for the hood as well, the screw in one is a pain in the field. 25mm is what you need BTW. They can be had for $5-8 for 5 or $2 or so for 1.
Wow thanks for the advice! I just placed an order for the metal lens hood you recommended! Thanks again
05-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Forum Member

Regarding a CPL.... The Marumi DHG Super are very nice with a low profile. DHG version about 35USD, Super DHG about 50USD in 40.5mm. Both are multi-coated, BTW. Pair nicely with MH RA40 5 or equivalent.

I need those squeeze caps.
05-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Regarding a CPL.... The Marumi DHG Super are very nice with a low profile. DHG version about 35USD, Super DHG about 50USD in 40.5mm. Both are multi-coated, BTW. Pair nicely with MH RA40 5 or equivalent.

I need those squeeze caps.
Possibly I picked up 40.5mm CPLs from Pentax directly, so they're engraved "Pentax". Not particularly slim, but go well enough with the 01.

Marumi CPLs are very nice, though, I have a few of their top-of-the-line series for 58mm and 49mm threads.