Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I need a tripod

I have a Leica M adapter for my Q. But when I put my sweet 90 mm lens on it, it seems that to get a sharp exposure, I need a tripod. Any suggestions?

05-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As with lenses, buy the best one you can afford.
Do not buy a cheap one, and discover you need a better one six months down the road, and an even better one in a year.
Spend your money once, and get a good one.

Manfrotto makes great tripods. Sadly, like lenses, there are so many designed to fit different uses and requirements, it is difficult to suggest a specific model without knowing your most common uses. (e.g. long hikes; you *may* want a light tripod. Low light outdoor photos; you may want a heavy and sturdy tripod)

I actually like the MeFoto. Very compact, decently sturdy, and relatively inexpensive.
I'm taking it on vacation and packing it in my book-bag style backpack for walking around town.

My every-day go-to tripod is the Manfrotto 055XProB aluminum tripod. Not the most-heavy duty nor the lightest, but it holds up well.

Be sure you invest in a good head (not always included with the tripod). I'd say this can be more important then the tripod.
Get one that will support the weight of your heaviest lens and body.
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

I got some $75 sunpak tripod for $25 on amazon... It has a pistol grip ball head and it seemed all fine and sturdy for a medium-duty tripod. I got a tripod so I could take some neat telephoto shots with the Q + teleconverter + Pentax M 135mm lens. You don't notice it moving, but, oh boy does the Q notice that it does not stop exactly where you set it. Fine tuning is a pain in the ass on this thing but you get what you pay for, right? If you have the money to do so, I agree amoringello and just drop the cash on a good one. Unlike camera bodies or lenses, reselling a tripod is a tiny bit more difficult as shipping them is way more cumbersome and costly and sometimes not worth it.
05-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well I have to agree with everyone on this one. One of the best accessories you can own is a good stable tripod. I own a gitzo 410 with a manfrotto 3038 ball head converted to a arca swiss quick release. Yes this is way overkill for my k7. But back in the day ths was a great combo for medium format. It's heavy but I can beat it up like no other and I don't hesitate to get it dirty, really dirty. Go to a store that carries a few ad play. What works for me may irritate you. Find why you can move fast with but still feel stable and comfortable.

05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Does your adapter have a tripod socket? If so, that's where you want to mount it to a tripod. Personally, I think the Q is too small to justify a giant, full-size tripod, so I have one of these mounted under it permanently. Might not hold your 90mm lens, but many other mini-tripods will (at least the bigger ones) will. Why cart around something huge for something so small, if you don't really have to? (Ahem, and if you search the marketplace for "mini tripod"... ahem! )

Last edited by panoguy; 05-24-2013 at 06:33 AM.
05-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

I think this is the best tripod for the Q

Only $50: Tamrac TR406 ZipShot Compact, Ultra-Light Tripod (Black) TR40601
05-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

Invest in a good one, because although you may trade cameras, almost all of them will have a standard socket at the bottom for a tripod. I have an OK one that I don't mind getting sandy or scratched, and a nice old Slik one for the indoors.

These can be good garage sale finds, too...
05-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have a Ravelli with a Fancier 717 head that is perfect for holding a 10lb rig steady in 30mph winds. The Ravelli's also come with a free smaller tripod that is perfect with the Q and smaller lenses free. Here is a link to one on Amazon. They are not a Manfrotto but it's perfect for the Q and a 300mm F/2.8 or a 1000mm mirror. The smaller free tripod raises to about 4 ft and come with a pan head with no quick release. Best of all it's only $90. I bought mine with the Pistol Grip and replaced the head for the Fancier fluid head afterwards. The head on this model looks similar to the one I have now.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-AVT-Professional-67-inch-Camera/dp/B00139XOCI/...avelli+tripods

05-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
My every-day go-to tripod is the Manfrotto 055XProB aluminum tripod.
That's my go-to tripod too.. It's a rock. Love it.

QuoteOriginally posted by CheepShot Quote
I have a Ravelli with a Fancier 717 head that is perfect for holding a 10lb rig steady in 30mph winds.
I used to have that one, and my wife uses it now. It may not be quite a Manfrotto, but after you get the screws tweaked up correctly, it's pretty close. Lotsa bang for your buck on that one for sure. The main thing I prefer about the Manfrotto is the feature that lets you switch from a vertical center column to horizontal. Otherwise, the Ravelli is about as stable as the Manfrotto.

I think either one might be a bit overkill on the Q, though. Personally, I use a Gorillapod clone on the Q. Works very well, it's versatile, I can easily take it anywhere, and it's cheap.
05-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm using a SLIK Master for 15 years now (I think), and I am very happy with it. It is light and easy to adjust. It is still made as 'Master Classic', which indirectly proves that it is a good tripod.
SLIK CORPORATION - The most copied line of tripods today
05-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have recently bought a Cullmann Nanomax 200T. it's small (28cm / 11" folded) but sturdy and the price is right: a perfect match for a Q!

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Forum Member

cullmann

I have the older version of this model shown, model 2902
05-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pickone Quote
I have the older version of this model shown, model 2902
I also use it with my K-x, a Nodal Ninja 3 pano head and the DA 10-17 fisheye zoom to get 360 shots. The whole kit, including camera, lens, pano head and tripod fits in a waist bag.

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have this and love it Amazon.com: Dolica ZX600B300 Proline ZX Series 60-Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Camera & Photo
05-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
My every-day go-to tripod is the Manfrotto 055XProB aluminum tripod. Not the most-heavy duty nor the lightest, but it holds up well.
Got a set of these legs at a thrift store for $5 cause the head was all wonky and I don't think they knew it came off, I'm still happy about it everytime I pick up the tripod.