Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

To Q today or not to Q, that is the Question

My Q arrived Wednesday in time for me to charge it up and and take it out to a concert on Friday night. Larger interchangeable lens cams like my GH2 and Nex-5 makes event staff "nervous" and they stop you from taking pics. I purchased the Q because it is so small it is not taken serious.
Anyway, I didn't have time to do testing prior so these are my first photos ever with the camera.
I noticed on the pictures of Chrisette that in auto mode with CW metering I was still getting over-exposed so I had to bring the exposure down 1.5 stops in post. I wasn't happy with my picture taking during her set. In hind-sight, I probably should have gone all manual or in to Shutter priority and moved the EC down a stop.
The next set was BWB (Rick Braun, Kirk Whalum, Norman Brown) I moved to TV at I think ss=60 ISO=3200 on all and spot metering and I feel those were better. I also shot some with the bold monochrome. In post, I added some grain and clarity.
Today, I'm headed to another outdoor concert...anyone have recommendations about settings, I would love it if you gave me some. I currently only have the 02 lens. I don't really want to take my K-30 or my D90 today.
Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

Attached Images

05-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Q forum. The Q is super for event photography. Away from the computer so Can't view your pics yet.

Can add some tips.

1. Do all lens and camera updates. The performane of the Q has jumped greatly with the new firmware.
2. Try to keep Iso as low as possible. Unless you want artistic grain. I prefer to shoot ISO 800 or lower. This varies depending on the amount of light.
3. Set camera to AV or manual exposure. Figure out exposure, WB, and other settings before event starts.
4. Make sure SR image stabilization is activated.
5. Outside I set lcd for max brightness. Low light concert turn brightness down.
6. Shoot lens wide open. Q has lots of dof. Higher shutter speed makes for sharp pics in lowlight.
7. Turn flash off.
Have fun
barondla
05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Q is super for event photography.
I'm mulling over which camera to take to a concert that's coming up in a few days. I'm going to see Richard Thompson in Iowa City in a downtown outdoor concert. It's in the evening & cameras are allowed. Judging from past outdoor concerts in that series, I think the stage lighting should be good, & I'll be close to the stage. My choices are:

Pentax K-x & Pentax A 35-105 / 3.5 and Pentax A 50 / 1.7
Pentax Q & 02 zoom.

The lenses I have for the K-x are manual focus, but faster than the 02 zoom. Also, I can crop a bit more aggressively if I need to with the K-x. On the other hand, the Q & 02 is AF, which would be convenient.

Which would you guys take & why?
05-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

You need to get closer to the stage. If you can access to the VIP area under the stage much better!
Or buy the 06 Telephoto Zoom.

05-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GibbyTheMole, the K cam would hold the advantage with better high ISO, a longer lens at 105mm, and the ability to be cropped more. The Q brings AF which wouldn't benefit me (ymmv), and stealth. Stealth is big at a concert if cameras are not allowed. You don't have that problem at this concert.

I would take both cameras. The Q takes up so little extra room why not have a backup? Also insurance if they change their minds and decide no cameras at the gate.

Now I am going to have to put some Richard Thompson Lps on the Linn for a listen.
thanks
barondla
05-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
Welcome to the Q forum. The Q is super for event photography. Away from the computer so Can't view your pics yet.

Can add some tips.

1. Do all lens and camera updates. The performane of the Q has jumped greatly with the new firmware.
2. Try to keep Iso as low as possible. Unless you want artistic grain. I prefer to shoot ISO 800 or lower. This varies depending on the amount of light.
3. Set camera to AV or manual exposure. Figure out exposure, WB, and other settings before event starts.
4. Make sure SR image stabilization is activated.
5. Outside I set lcd for max brightness. Low light concert turn brightness down.
6. Shoot lens wide open. Q has lots of dof. Higher shutter speed makes for sharp pics in lowlight.
7. Turn flash off.
Have fun
barondla
Thank you barondla! I took the Q but they had the stage blocked for a long distance so the reach of the 02 was not enough. So I decided to just take some creative shots of me and my friend and experiment with the camera. Maybe I'll post some of those. I will probably head out tomorrow (today) to more music in the park, not sure yet but if I do I will try your suggestions.
05-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
GibbyTheMole, the K cam would hold the advantage with better high ISO, a longer lens at 105mm, and the ability to be cropped more. The Q brings AF which wouldn't benefit me (ymmv), and stealth. Stealth is big at a concert if cameras are not allowed. You don't have that problem at this concert.

I would take both cameras. The Q takes up so little extra room why not have a backup? Also insurance if they change their minds and decide no cameras at the gate.

Now I am going to have to put some Richard Thompson Lps on the Linn for a listen.
thanks
barondla
Thanks much for the input. I was strongly leaning toward the DSLR, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll probably just take both.

A fellow RT fan... And a vinyl guy to boot! (I have a Thorens TD150/Linn arm & Technics SP-25/Audioquest PT-6, myself.) You sure you don't have any long lost brothers out there?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)