Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q Catch in Focus

Wouldn't it be cool if the Q had the Catch in Focus feature for use with the Q to K adapter? Since there is no AF possible with the adapter, CIF would add a lot of usefulness to using the Q with long glass.

Dale

05-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big 10-4 on that. I can only occupy myself with but so many shots of the stationary Moon.
05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure that trap focus would be accurate enough
for the severe demands of adapted K lenses on the Q.
Zoomed-in focus peaking seems to be the best option.
05-27-2013, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I'm not sure that trap focus would be accurate enough
for the severe demands of adapted K lenses on the Q.
Zoomed-in focus peaking seems to be the best option.

I agree for the most part. I would think that manual focusing SLR lenses adapted to the Q would probably be a bit complicated to automate as I find I need to use different strategies for different lenses. The deep DOF with the little sensor, even with relatively fast lenses would require a very sophisticated and sensitive focus sensing algorithm to really nail the focus I would think. This is probably exactly the opposite of how CD AF is implemented in small sensored compacts as they probably count on the DOF to mask focus errors, and the users aren't generally looking for the same degree of focus accuracy that Q users want or need.

Personally, I use FP without the magnified focus assist since I frequently use the whole in-focus range of the DOF to estimate the critical focus plane. For me, the low res LCD is the biggest handicap to really accurate manual focusing with the Q, and along with fixing flash protocols, I'd want a high res LCD and/or a very nice add-on EVF on the next iteration.

Scott