Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Kayak Aerial Photography Method with Pentax Q

.. a behind (and above) the scenes look!

Kayak Aerial Photography Method – a behind (and above) the scenes look! | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )

Enjoy!
-Flex

05-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting combination of equipment and skills. Love that the Q and 03 are a part of it.
05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
And I thought this was going to include instructions on how to make kayak fly.
05-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting technique and cool photos. I often wish I could get up higher, so I thought about poles before.. but not 34 foot ones! And especially not with fisheye. Gives some great results, though.

05-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome technique! That picture of everyone around the bonfire at the beach with the stars in the sky is killer!
05-29-2013, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Great work from the little Q, and impressive use of the pole for your panos.

I use a carbon pole from Nodal Ninja (shown below 3/4 extended) for some of my panos, but since I mount my K-5 with the 10-17 on it, I add a little something in the stability department:

BTW, I'm using Cactus V4 triggers to shoot when the top of the rig stops swaying, then I rotate to the next position (6 around, 1 up, 2 down - I'm shooting downshots in the photo above). Too bad the Q doesn't have a wired remote port! Your intervalometer method looks like a good way around this, particularly since the IR ports on the Q are very low-range.

Also, my locations are nowhere near as picturesque as yours!
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
sooo cool...great concept...I want to try it just have to figure out the dynamics with running whitewater

05-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing - a really interesting read, particularly as I just got the 03 fisheye and have ordered a (rather short, compared to your poles) monopod which should arrive today, with the intention of getting overhead shots with it. If I'm pleased with the shots I get, I may well order a longer one. I'm on holiday with them next week, so will hopefully have a couple of good results to share when I come back.
05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for checking it out everybody!!

gotta give the Q where credit is due .. and

he he, there are kayaks that do fly .. folding kayaks you put on an airplane!! lol

i'm only doing cylindrical panos and 360s right now .. since it's all being either supported or held overhead by me, adjusting the head angle(s) often doesn't happen - I'm not superman!
knowing when a pic is being taken is one of the toughest things, at 30 ft away it's hard to hear the shutter (even max volume) if there's wind, wave or other noise .. i try counting the interval in my head, but more often I just run a couple or three circles around until I feel it's all there ..

yeah .. whitewater - that'd be something else!
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work. What are you using to stitch the panos, since I expect the distortion of the 03 lens can cause alignment issues?
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
knowing when a pic is being taken is one of the toughest things, at 30 ft away it's hard to hear the shutter (even max volume) if there's wind, wave or other noise .. i try counting the interval in my head, but more often I just run a couple or three circles around until I feel it's all there ..
Why not put the Q's flash on - it should be far enough from the subject that it won't affect your exposure, but you should see the flash fire as an indicator of when the shot has been taken.
05-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
Why not put the Q's flash on - it should be far enough from the subject that it won't affect your exposure, but you should see the flash fire as an indicator of when the shot has been taken.
That's not a bad idea! Thing is, I'm often squinting into the sun looking straight up .. maybe if I reflected it straight down .. hmm

@crewl1 : Yeah there's all kinds of crazy angles .. I stitch it all by hand!
06-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super website and pictures digital029art. A very different view of the world.

So a trip to my dealer and I have the 03 to try. Modified a 12ft painting pole with ball head and ultra small Arca QR adapter. Now it is time to play. The Q does that better than any camera.

So where do you buy poles for photography? Any brand preference or height to start with?
hanks
barondla
06-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks barondla!! Well a 12 footer is a good start. Since the Q/03 combo is so light, you could go to a 15 ft pole easily and probably won't even need any counterweight. I used the one with click stops which feels pretty solid. Unfortunately the click stops failed (cheap design on the release button) after just a few times out, so I through-drilled the holes and now use a push pin instead.
Once you go over 20 ft, the huge leverage becomes a real factor and you'll have to compensate with different materials and some counterweights at the base. There's a painting pole that goes out to 23 ft, but it's an accident waiting to happen with anything on the end of it .. I would not recommend that one!