Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You warned me indeed. It's probably a good thing I can't order anything for at least a couple of weeks, I can't make up my mind which way to go. I'm thinking now that the 06 lens would make more sense. I tend to think in details, so feel more comfortable with a telephoto rather than a wide angle. Getting the 06 would still keep the camera system small enough for my purse.

Has anyone tried the Q, DA300 and the 1.7 AFA?

05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Has anyone tried the Q, DA300 and the 1.7 AFA?
Q and DA*300 yes, plenty. It is excellent as it is at 1650mm. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ml#post2215855

I don't see a need to multiply it further but feel free to do so and report your results. I don't have the 1.7 to try.

The DA*300 on the Q I find works best at f5.6. You will start to get diffraction when you go to smaller apertures, but many show good results even so.
06-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Well the Q-Change me. I'm back to shooting again since i can bring it everyday at work!!=). I bought the 2 lens kit 01 & 02.
06-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Well the Q-Change me. I'm back to shooting again since i can bring it everyday at work!!=). I bought the 2 lens kit 01 & 02.
Great, someone else who is finding the same thing as I am. I'm really enjoying the camera.

And all of your high praise of both adapted lenses and the 06 lens is confusing. I can't make up my mind. Then there's the fact I picked up a cancellation in Oceanside CA for next weekend, and that means I'll have the opportunity to shoot surfers (something I do rarely and am not particularly good at but enjoy) and it made sense to get the adapter before I go. Since I was going to order it expedited shipping, I wondered how much more I would spend in shipping for two items, vs. ordering them separately. I discovered that the shipping charge increase was minimal if I ordered them together. ARRRRH! It's a really good thing I like hot dogs and baked beans.

06-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Wait, are you saying you now have a adapter k-q AND 06 on their way to you?
06-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I did save myself almost the entire cost of shipping charges for one item. See, I was thinking economically to order both of them at the same time. As much as I hate to admit it, yes, I now have both the adapter and the 06 lens coming.

This time I'm blaming the whole thing on that unknown person who canceled their reservation in Oceanside. It's fairly hard to get a weekend there in the summer, unless you plan far out. I got lucky, first time I looked to see if anything was available and there it was. I had talked myself into not buying anything more until after Aug. And that's why I went looking for a cancellation at the beach, thought it would be a good place to go play and avoid the bulletin boards that I'm finding so irresistible at the moment. But then I thought about having the extra reach and I was doomed.

And I probably need to rethink my camera bag solution for the Q, since I'm going to have a third native lens for it. If I want the adapter I'll carry one of my regular bags. I would love to have a miniature regular bag, with pockets for cards and batteries, separate lens compartments/camera compartments. While I think the leather case that came with the HSN package is nice and I'm using it now, it has some disadvantages. This is the one time I regret a college prep education, I don't know how to sew and while I can think of several designs I'd like, they will never go beyond that.
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

When I got into kites back in the 90s I decided to learn how to sew so I could make kites myself.
I took a class at one of the local fabric stores, bought a machine and had a blast.
If I could do it any one can.
06-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Hi Harriet,

Nothing like jumping in with both feet! You're one of the few people I know who's probably actually better at rationalizing new photo gear than I am!! Congrats -- that's an accomplishment (?)

When you get the adapter, remember that anything over 80mm will give you more reach than your K-5 + 300mm, and anything over 137mm is longer than when you add the 1.7x AFA to this combo, so you don't have to get that long with the lens to get crazy reach, and with the fast glass that you have, you can shoot at some pretty sick fast apertures when going long.

MF with the Q and adapted lenses is challenging, but is doable with practice -- an LCD Loupe is a highly recommended accessory. I have both a Hoodman and an inexpensive Chinese one and use both pretty effectively.

Don't be afraid to stop down to f5.6 or thereabouts with any lens despite what you might have read about diffraction and the small sensor. Many times the added resolution from stopping down trumps any loss to diffraction. so each lens is different. The only way to find out how any lens will perform in relation to diffraction is to actually try it.

I think you'll be having a whole lot of fun this summer. . .

Scott

06-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, Scott. I might bring out the A300 at some point. My 1.7 front focuses with it fairly consistently, so I haven't been using it much, it might be a nice thing to give it some use.

I bought a Hoodman recently, after Patty, nhmom, showed me hers when we met up and I loved it. I've started using it with the Viv 105 and focus rails when outside. It isn't perfect, but I get better results than trying to focus outdoors with the LCD by itself, and it's more convenient than focusing with the viewfinder. I haven't put it on the Q yet, maybe tomorrow.

How do you attach the hoodman to the camera? I had bought the stretch cords for the K5 and assume I could do the same thing with the Q.

The funny thing is that the Q can sell itself. A co-worker of mine, who shoots a Nikon D600, liked it so much, he ordered one. Don't know how long he'll keep it, but he was really impressed with the 01 lens when he saw some of my pictures with it. And I was in a camera store today, looking at small camera bags, and the guy behind the counter was fascinated with it. I was expecting to be laughed at a lot more than I have been. I get some strange looks sometimes, but far more think its cool.
06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I get some strange looks sometimes, but far more think its cool.
Strange looks?? wait till you put on a 300 and hood on that little thing that's when you really get the looks.

Hans
06-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Strange looks?? wait till you put on a 300 and hood on that little thing that's when you really get the looks.
And a red dot rifle sight....
06-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And a red dot rifle sight....
Don't think I haven't thought about it! But I'll wait and see, after all, I'm not so sure how much I'll want to use the long end of things and for what.
06-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
Site Supporter

You know you want to....

IMGP2705
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

How do you attach the hoodman to the camera? I had bought the stretch cords for the K5 and assume I could do the same thing with the Q.

The funny thing is that the Q can sell itself. A co-worker of mine, who shoots a Nikon D600, liked it so much, he ordered one. Don't know how long he'll keep it, but he was really impressed with the 01 lens when he saw some of my pictures with it. And I was in a camera store today, looking at small camera bags, and the guy behind the counter was fascinated with it. I was expecting to be laughed at a lot more than I have been. I get some strange looks sometimes, but far more think its cool.
Hi Harriet,

Lately, I've been using long rubber bands that were meant for garbage bags. . .

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10012131&N=&Ntt=rubber+band

With just the K2Q adapter mounted without a lens, I loop the band over the adapter, bring it under the camera, twist the band, place it around the Hoodman, twist again, then pass the band over the top of the camera and back around the adapter, then mount the lens. I can post a pic if that's too confusing.

I think you're right about the Q selling itself. The salespeople at the shop where I got my first Q were shocked when they saw what I was doing with it and adapted lenses. Also, they liked how it handled with the 01 and the Leica Brightline 50 OVF for street type shooting. The performance of the Q at first was pretty sluggish, but the first FW update sped things up considerably and improved AF accuracy, and another noticeable improvement came with the latest FW update, so now it's AF is pretty quick by any standard, IMO. Too bad the pro reviewers dismissed the Q so quickly and never updated their reviews considering the price drops and FW updates. I think the reviews would be significantly different now.

Scott