Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There should be a warning here...

There definitely should be a warning here - you all are a bad, corrupting influence on sweet, level-headed ladies.

There I was, happy that I saw a thread about some of the Q sales going on, so I ordered one with the 02 zoom from Best Buy. No problem, though I was disappointed I didn't get the kit with the 01 lens, but none of them were cheap enough to justify buying when all I was doing was buying a camera to carry in my purse all the time, to use as a point and shoot. When the Best Buy camera came, I charged the battery and happily started shooting away. I even took pictures of old friends that I hadn't seen in several years (something I almost never do because I'm lousy at people photography), just because its such a fun little camera.

Then someone posted that thread about the 01 kit, with case etc. on sale at HSN. It would cost more than the one I bought, but I would have spent more than that if I were to have bought the 02 lens by itself, so impulsively I bought one. The next day I regretted it, so I resolved to not open the box when I got it, to sell it for what I paid for it. It arrived yesterday, and I carefully put the box aside while I cooked dinner.

Then I thought that there would not be any harm in just looking at the leather case, it had looked so cool in the pictures. So I opened the box and looked at it. Yes, it really was cool, bought back memories of shooting with my first ever SLR, a Pentax ME. I then left the box downstairs when I took my dinner upstairs, I was resolved on being sensible and selling the second kit. I certainly didn't need another camera (I own a K100, K7, K5 and now Q).

As I was washing up the dishes, it occurred to me that I should probably check the contents of the box, just in case something wasn't in the box that was supposed to be. There was an unexpected extra CD in the box - ArcSoft's PhotoStudio Darkroom 2. I hadn't even noticed that as being part of their sale (not that I can use it, it says Windows on the disk and I have a Mac). Everything that was supposed to be there was also there, no problems so I could sell it with a clear conscience. As I was starting to close the box I decided it wouldn't hurt to compare the size of the 01 lens to the 02 lens. Granted, neither of them is very big, but the prime is definitely smaller than the zoom. I really liked that. And since I had it out, I didn't suppose anyone would notice if I were to mount it on my Best Buy camera, just to see how it compares to the zoom, and if it deserved the praise I had read here (it does). It wouldn't make a difference if I were to snap a couple of shots with it.

After looking at the pictures on the computer, I gave up, unpacked the box, put a battery in the camera, updated the firmware for the camera and the lens and started shooting away. Sigh!

You folks are definitely a bad influence on me.

But I'm just having so much FUN with these little cameras! I've taken more pictures in the past week than I had all month last month. Sure, my budget took a hit it shouldn't have taken, but I can always eat hot dogs and baked beans for a month. And while I definitely think there should be a warning about all of you being a corrupting influence, there should also be a big "thanks" from me - I am very, very glad I bought the second camera, it's gotten me out there taking pictures again.

05-29-2013, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Up front warning. Never look at or even get close to the 03 fisheye and 06 telezoom lenses! At that point you will realize it is possible to carry a complete two camera system in a very small purse. Very dangerous for your other cameras.

Welcome to the Q forum. Life will never be the same.
thanks
barondla
05-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Harriet,

Welcome to a great Q forum! Lots of Qusers shooting all kinds of different and impressive stuff, so there are a lot of resources available here.

Just get at least a couple of extra batteries and you're all set.

. . . until you get curious about how some of your great K mount lenses might work with a 3.6x crop factor (compared to APS-C). . . or see how nicely that super inexpensive little 03 FE or the (not so inexpensive ) 06 tele zoom works with the Q. . . it's all good . . .

Looking forward to seeing some photos. . .

Scott
05-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then there's the Q-K adaptor. Avoid at all costs. Having a f/2.8 ultra-telephoto in your purse could be too much for you.

05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
But I'm just having so much FUN with these little cameras! I've taken more pictures in the past week than I had all month last month.
And right there is the charm of the Q. The charm that all the pixel-peeping, number-crunching, sensor-envy types who pooh-poohed the Q will never understand. Somehow, this camera is just a joy to use and I take more photos with it than all my other cameras combined (K5 included).

Be unrepentant, mtngal!
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Harriet, I see we got you too, As Scott said be very careful or some adapters will be in your future. I am thinking of a 2nd Q body just to protect my investment in adapters and lenses. I walk around with my Q and a small SMC M 135 f3.5 (742mm) The Q lets you experiment more than any other camera I have ever had. What a joy to use

Hans
05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

But it sounds to me as if you're as bad an influence on yourself as we may be.
05-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Then there's the Q-K adaptor. Avoid at all costs. Having a f/2.8 ultra-telephoto in your purse could be too much for you.
You mean like putting something like the K135/2.5 on the camera. Where else can you get a 750mm/2.5 that weighs 500grams

05-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

did somebody mention auto 110 tele lenses? lol ..
05-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
There definitely should be a warning here - you all are a bad, corrupting influence on sweet, level-headed ladies.
Love your story!
Ha ha, yes I guess we should tell folks that no one can have just one Q.
I believe a significant portion of the Q owners on PF have more than one, with varying stories for justification
Have fun!
05-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not ashamed to say I bought THIRD Q on a NEWEGG deal. I had only ever purchased a really brand new Q body once and this was to hold in reserve. (A regular poster here emailed me to laugh about THREE - yes, we know each other enough to use real email!)

Until my wife said something about borrowing one of my 2 Q's for a trip she is taking. Out came my reserve Q so she has a NIB Q/02 that she uses for her blog. And she took my 02 Hood. And my Optio Gadget Bag. And a spare ACMAXX Screen Protector. And extra battery.

And she sure does smile a lot now!
05-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yea Q is dangerous. I just bought 2 White Qs with 02 today as well...

One for my sister who is looking for something better than her old P&S camera. One is for myself since my fiance pretty much took over my Q. Wish I had the fore sight to pick them up at lower price point!
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Harriet,

Sell the second body on the Marketplace. I scored the Q (with the 01) on New Years day for a great price. Then I recently saw the 02 Kit deal. I posted a question about splitting the package. The camera body went out last week. Now I have the body with both the 01 and 02.

Then there are the folks here with 2, 3 and I think someone said that they have 4 bodies. Acquisition Addiction is in overdrive for these poor soles....

05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for understanding.

I'm now rethinking what I should get next. I had bought the Q for a point and shoot, and thought that if I wanted more than the 02 zoom I would get the k to q adapter. And I didn't think that the fisheye made all that much sense, I've never quite come to terms so to speak with the 10-17. But having the small camera is so much fun, and the idea of a 2.8 longer zoom makes more sense for my purposes in many ways than the adapter. On the other hand, I wouldn't have to order a tripod mount, I already have the DA300 and a RRS quick release plate to use it on my tripod (I hadn't quite figured out how to use the Q on my tripod, but it works fine on my gorilla pod). Decisions, decisions. But in any case, I'm not going to get anything more right now, I want to get a better feel for the camera's strengths and weaknesses before I go getting more stuff.
05-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Tough decisions indeed. It's a federal crime to own the Pentax Q and DA300 without the Q-PK adapter. You aren't buying the Q-PK adapter as an accessory for the Q. It is an accessory digital teleconverter for the DA300.

Why wouldn't you buy a Q equivalent of the 60-250 zoom that is a full step faster at f2.8, and weighs approx 5 oz for only $300? Amazing.
We warned you
barondla