Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Eagle has landed. HELP ME SPEND MY MONEY

Well my Q arrived today. It's from noted fellow PF member Nick Siebers. I ordered a 01 Prime separately, and that arrived last week.

I updated the firmware before firing the first shot. Now I've taken a few pics, and so far I'm really digging it. I can't wait to get out there and start taking pics!

Obviously I have to sink a few hundred dollars into random accessories for this thing. That's where you all come in.

Case: I think I'll just head to the mall and see what kind of compact camera cases I can get. Something functional (fit the Q + a couple of lenses + batteries, etc.) and not too ostentatious would be nice.

More batteries, at least 2: Are off-brand batteries just as good as the official Pentax batteries? Where is the best place to get some?

Viewfinder: The official Pentax viewfinder is way too expensive. I saw in the pimped out Q thread that people are using third party viewfinders. Which one works best with the 01 Prime? I assume they can be found on Ebay/Amazon.

Eye-Fi Card: The Q can natively shoot 1:1 format! Perfect for Instagram! Do Eye-Fi and other Wi-Fi cards work with the Q? It would make a fantastic street setup.

Q -> K adapter: I'll probably get the official Pentax one. Where is the best place to get one?

DSLR Hotshoe Tripod Adapter: I have wondered what a Q slapped on top of my DSLR would be like. I could use the Q with the fisheye lens to record video while I take pictures with my K30. It would be like a GoPro, except I wouldn't have to buy into the GoPro system. And the Q would still rock as a backup stills cam. This can probably be found at the local camera store, but I might just go the cheapo Ebay route.

Any other accessories I should throw money at?

05-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh Heh
Let me point you to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/189966-what-q-accessories-worth.html
Also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/226348-tele-wide-viewf...-01-q-q10.html
The official K-Q adapter should be purchased at a reputable store, a small number have reported an issue with the built in shutter so it is good to lean on a solid return policy.
(Getting the foot in Canada is another story.)
Welcome! I'm sure others will be along shortly to contribute.
Enjoy!
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Enjoy your new toy! There are so many possibilities with the Q.

Be sure to check these links out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220584-show-me-your-pimped-q.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/216406-custom-cover-kits-q-aki-asahi.html
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax-Q/Leather/QColorLeatherKit.php
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Well my Q arrived today. It's from noted fellow PF member Nick Siebers. I ordered a 01 Prime separately, and that arrived last week.

I updated the firmware before firing the first shot. Now I've taken a few pics, and so far I'm really digging it. I can't wait to get out there and start taking pics!

Obviously I have to sink a few hundred dollars into random accessories for this thing. That's where you all come in.

Case: I think I'll just head to the mall and see what kind of compact camera cases I can get. Something functional (fit the Q + a couple of lenses + batteries, etc.) and not too ostentatious would be nice.

More batteries, at least 2: Are off-brand batteries just as good as the official Pentax batteries? Where is the best place to get some?

Viewfinder: The official Pentax viewfinder is way too expensive. I saw in the pimped out Q thread that people are using third party viewfinders. Which one works best with the 01 Prime? I assume they can be found on Ebay/Amazon.

Eye-Fi Card: The Q can natively shoot 1:1 format! Perfect for Instagram! Do Eye-Fi and other Wi-Fi cards work with the Q? It would make a fantastic street setup.
EyeFi cards work great in Q - I use them without the slightest problems with my iPad. Be sure to get the one that transfers RAW (the cheaper EyeFi transfer only jpeg, and one really should only take RAW.

Battery-wise, I use original Pentax batteries - I've had bad experiences with off-brands for my K10D and have stuck to originals since.

05-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Larry pointed you to the definitive source for accessories. Don't forget the Manfrotto Mini Tripod, its my favorite Q accessory.
05-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

Got no problems with off-brand batteries and I recommend you buy at least 3 extra. When my wife using her Q-10 the batteries tend to run out fast
Also think that it's worth getting a tripod to the Q, just havn't taken the time to buy one yet