Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Oddball Lens question,....

Does anyone know the Base Circle of the Q?

I have a Canon XL-1 full manual 14x zoom lens that really needs a new home. It would never cover the APS-c sensor in my K-01, but I'm wondering if it would cover a Q's?

Ditto with needing to know the Rear Element and Flange to Sensor distance.

The mechanical side of making an adapter is a decent challenge, I have access to skills and tools, the electronic side would be harder....

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-30-2013 at 09:44 PM.
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I have a Canon XL-1 full manual 14x zoom lens that really needs a new home. It would never cover the APS-c sensor in my K-01, but I'm wondering if it would cover a Q's?
Probably, because it's the size of a P&S sensor, which is one of the smallest sensor types out there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Think I might have to take one of the XL lenses in to a shop with me,... a Q might make a very good second camera to my K-01, or locked off angle.

Now, I wonder if they're light enough to fly under my RC Heli ?
It's either that or a GoPro Black with an M12 lens mod.
05-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Think I might have to take one of the XL lenses in to a shop with me,... a Q might make a very good second camera to my K-01, or locked off angle.

Now, I wonder if they're light enough to fly under my RC Heli ?
It's either that or a GoPro Black with an M12 lens mod.
What's the weight capacity of your heli? The GoPro weighs in at 80grams while the Q is 200. Putting the 03 fisheye tops you at 230g, which is quite light and gives you the wide angle you are looking for.

06-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My current chopper will lift a dummy load just under 200 grams.

It's getting mods for better control and better motors, and larger blades. I fly Co-Axial, not regular and not Multi. Co-Axial has greater potential for lift for the airframe size, but most of the available Co-Axial Heli's don't have the best control methods. 230grams is well under what mine should lift once rebuilt.

As is, it's flown with a 'regular' GoPro - the heavy as all get out Standard Def one - but I had to strip off some panels and covers.
Bit of a bone of contention, they guy who supplied us a camera was meant to be giving us a HD unit that weighs 70 grams with no battery and just over 100 with it, and instead gave us an SD unit that wouldn't record longer then 12 seconds.
Bit hard to fly a camera over a dead zombie horde if the camera keeps shutting off,....

Now, if only Walkera would manufacture the triple bladed 500 CX CCP they prototyped, I'd be a very happy if somewhat poorer boy.
07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How did you go with this?

The XL flange distance is 28.7 mm, the Q is 9.2mm (which is the shortest of them all, so every other lens should work).

The closest to the XL is the Canon or Leica M39 screw both at 28.8 mm, which are actually available as Q adapters on ebay. So maybe don't even need to shave 0.1 mm off and just somehow attach the XL lens. The XL1 and XL2 cameras are still too expensive to cannibalize the body mount to glue onto an adapter, so does anybody have any ideas?

The XL sensors are 1/3" which are smaller than the Q's 1/2.5" and even smaller again than the Q7's new 1/1.7", but maybe it will still work without vignetting. Then again, the XL used an array of three sensors for each of the RGB colours, so maybe the image circle needed to be tight enough there's no margin for play.

PS. I wonder why the beam-splitting prism never caught on in stills cameras as it's apparently a 4dB improvement over a single sensor. Probably too expensive. Wouldn't make the camera more expensive than a Foveon camera though I'd imagine.

EDIT - I overlooked one glaringly obvious thing - no aperture ring on the XL lenses so they're unusable. Oh well.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 PM.
07-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yup,. your edit is what has stymied me, otherwise I would have snapped up a Q already.

Looks like Canon have done a bang up job of disenfranchising all the XL series owners. One would think it would have been a piece of cake to swap out the tape drive for a memory card based recorder for the XL, but they've dropped the interchangeable lens range and replaced it with the XF series, just as everyone else is catching up in camcorders.

The XL-H1s is the perfect doco, budget ENG, small scale multicam shoot camera, with Genlock and HD-SDI output, and none of the soft-back focus issues of the XL-1 or the Sony EX-3.

They were sooooooo close to having the perfect camera for the job, but instead have gone lower spec for camcorders, and waaaay over the top with the C100-C500 bodies, which use EF lenses.

I can tell ya, from personal experience, XL lenses absolutely crap on EF glass from a great height when it comes to the user experience and operation of the lens in video/film production. The full manual lens is a brilliant bit of kit.

Plus there was the whole "Client Response Attitude" -> You put an XL on your shoulder with a matte-box hanging off the front, audio receiver at the back and a Sun-Gun on top, and they immediately think you're a 'Professional'.

I know I get better video out of my K-01 then I did with my XL-1, but the response from clients is disbelief, right up until the see the edited product.

That I've spent a total of about $750 for the new K-01 and the second-hand lenses, compared to the cheapest XL-H1s I've seen at around $6000, just makes me love the Pentax more, and despise Canon's stupidity a lot more.
07-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Oh, And" thought,...

I did check out the lenses and body of a Q at my favorite camera store, and the base circle of the Q lens is very much smaller then the XL lens.

And yep, I realize that means the XL-1 must be cropping the lens a fair bit.

It's silly that I miss using the damn XL, probably just too used to having the video style lenses, with their super smooth focus and zoom action.

07-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure Fotodiox doesn't already make a suitable adapter? Have a look on Amazon.