Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
06 - Day and Night use examples

Midfield celebrating winning the match - full dark with only stadium lights - ISO1000

Action midfield - full dark with only stadium lights - ISO1000

late afternoon action halfway down the field

Dusk immediately in front of the stands

Far end of the field during pre-game practice around 6:45pm

05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Quite impressive! I see you kept your ISO at 1000 which is pretty much my limit with the Q also. So that begs the next question - on a tripod or hand held?
05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Quite impressive! I see you kept your ISO at 1000 which is pretty much my limit with the Q also. So that begs the next question - on a tripod or hand held?
I was in the stands with my son, so it was all handheld. These were generally randomly selected. I had little motion blur with the combination of the 06 + ISO1000. I did NOT use any denoise subroutines but am downloading the Topaz DeNoise product for a free 30 day trial right now to see how it might help with images like these.

The other benefit is that I had a functional. equivalent of a 250/2.8 in the stands that was under the size limit for the park. Couldn't have had my K-5 + 70-200. I'm really enjoying the Q for situations where a larger camera would either be prohibited or unwelcome. I used the 02 hood on the 06 and it seems to have done an OK job, still haven't gotten a dedicated hood as the ones I have looked at are too long for easy use with the way the 06 retracts.
05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice job being hand held for sure.

When I had my 06 being I won't shoot without a hood, I had the JJC hood which doubled the length of the lens.

05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice job being hand held for sure.

When I had my 06 being I won't shoot without a hood, I had the JJC hood which doubled the length of the lens.
Here's one that I just did Clarity on with LR and cropped a bit.
Attached Images

05-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like you were on the correct side of the stadium - those people on the other side are having a hard time seeing looking into the sun!
05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like you were on the correct side of the stadium - those people on the other side are having a hard time seeing looking into the sun!
The best part is that they pay about 2x the $s for their tickets The entire side I was on is general admission (except for a very narrow section at precisely mid-field). My son and I enjoy the special section for the crazy fans at either end of the general admission side AND the fact that the sun is behind us

05-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The best part is that they pay about 2x the $s for their tickets The entire side I was on is general admission (except for a very narrow section at precisely mid-field). My son and I enjoy the special section for the crazy fans at either end of the general admission side AND the fact that the sun is behind us
Too funny - pay more for seats that face the sun. Also I think I would prefer the side with the crazy fans more - adds to the experience I would think.
05-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too funny - pay more for seats that face the sun. Also I think I would prefer the side with the crazy fans more - adds to the experience I would think.
Yes, each end of the side we're on has a crazy set of fans. The ones on the gate side have a drumming section with lots of drums. The ones on the other end have lots of flags, sing lots of songs, and light off smoke grenades whenever there is a goal. My son and I have sat near each group at different times. Lots more lively than the sun side of the field.
05-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ha! So maybe those people on the sunny side are squinting to see what all the fun is about on the other side instead of trying to see the game.........