Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DR and lens correction settings

Well I'm back to using my Q with a native lens (01 prime) - long story..........

Since I had only been using my Q with the adapter for a while, when I received the 01 lens today, I thought I would update the firmware on both the camera and the lens. After updating the camera firmware, it was totally reset so I had to enter all my settings from scratch. Had I know this, I would have written them down first.....

Anyway, I always shoot in raw, and after doing that setting, I noticed that the DR (dynamic range) and lens correction settings were still available. Since I don't remember how I had it set before, I thought this was kind of strange. I know with my K-5 when set to raw, those type of functions are grayed out since the are only available when shooting jpeg.

So, before I go into a long testing procedure, I was hoping someone might know the answer to this. Are the DR and lens correction settings actually applied when shooting raw?

05-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well I'm back to using my Q with a native lens (01 prime) - long story..........

Since I had only been using my Q with the adapter for a while, when I received the 01 lens today, I thought I would update the firmware on both the camera and the lens. After updating the camera firmware, it was totally reset so I had to enter all my settings from scratch. Had I know this, I would have written them down first.....

Anyway, I always shoot in raw, and after doing that setting, I noticed that the DR (dynamic range) and lens correction settings were still available. Since I don't remember how I had it set before, I thought this was kind of strange. I know with my K-5 when set to raw, those type of functions are grayed out since the are only available when shooting jpeg.

So, before I go into a long testing procedure, I was hoping someone might know the answer to this. Are the DR and lens correction settings actually applied when shooting raw?
I do not believe so, I think they only apply to the JPG output. I'm open to being corrected but I think that is the case.
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing affects raw after exposure. Those settings only apply to the embedded thumbnail and in the previews/automatic renderings in software that can read these settings.
05-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok - thanks. That is what I thought but found it weird that the options were still available when the camera is set to raw.

05-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ok - thanks. That is what I thought but found it weird that the options were still available when the camera is set to raw.
It is kind of weird, particularly considering the effects are shown on the LCD and stored in the preview image. But when you read out that DNG, it gets reset back to "none." My ACR settings automatically detect and apply at least the lens corrections...
05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
It is kind of weird, particularly considering the effects are shown on the LCD and stored in the preview image. But when you read out that DNG, it gets reset back to "none." My ACR settings automatically detect and apply at least the lens corrections...
There is a thread going on in the software section looking at something similar - where the jpeg settings on the K-5 control the embedded jpeg, and where some editors read this and others don't. So this with the Q makes more sense to me now.

I've never used any lens correction or DR correction on my K-5, and had just followed suit with the Q. I am curious now if I should use the lens correction though. When I processed a couple Q raw files in Lightroom 4.4, their lens correction function did quite a bit for the image, meaning to me that the lens needs the correction. I actually thought the 01 prime wouldn't need that much.

I'm going to experiment with the lens correction setting some over the weekend. I use 2 editors right now (torn between the two) - Acdsee Pro 6 and Lightroom 4.4. I want to see if either will carry tha setting over like you say and apply it.

Thanks!
05-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There is a thread going on in the software section looking at something similar - where the jpeg settings on the K-5 control the embedded jpeg, and where some editors read this and others don't. So this with the Q makes more sense to me now.

I've never used any lens correction or DR correction on my K-5, and had just followed suit with the Q. I am curious now if I should use the lens correction though. When I processed a couple Q raw files in Lightroom 4.4, their lens correction function did quite a bit for the image, meaning to me that the lens needs the correction. I actually thought the 01 prime wouldn't need that much.

I'm going to experiment with the lens correction setting some over the weekend. I use 2 editors right now (torn between the two) - Acdsee Pro 6 and Lightroom 4.4. I want to see if either will carry tha setting over like you say and apply it.

Thanks!
LR4 does do the corrections for the Q lenses in RAW but not in JPG from my recent experience. I'm on a trial with LR4 and have been experimenting with it. I do like that LR4 recognizes the 06 in the RAW images.

05-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being a new Q shooter, I've been shooting raw+ and it's been interesting to compare. I think the camera's default setting is to do the lens correction. I have LR to not use the embedded information for raw files and notice quite a bit of difference between the raw and the jpg (and yes, the 01 lens does require correction for vertical lines). However, I'm not crazy about the in-camera correction, I think it makes it look a little odd/distorted. On the other hand, Lightroom has it's own profile for the Q and lenses and it differs a bit from the in-camera one. Normally I prefer it to the jpg, so I think I'll continue shooting raw+ for walk-about stuff for now.
06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
LR4 does do the corrections for the Q lenses in RAW but not in JPG from my recent experience. I'm on a trial with LR4 and have been experimenting with it. I do like that LR4 recognizes the 06 in the RAW images.
Not that it makes a huge difference for those who are pondering or testing LR4 - you still have a month to test out LR5 beta. It has a few glitches, but overall it is very close to being full-release quality. Its CA adjustment flexibility is really good for your adapted lenses on the Q.