Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does this mean?!?

Was shooting my Q today and suddenly I see a red thermometer gauge on the right side of the screen. What does this mean? The body did not feel hot. What's up?

06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It means the sensor is overheating. Were you shooting video? Or was it just hot out...

You aren't necessarily going to feel the body get hot.
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was hot out here in Florida. I was shooting RAW stills. Never had this happen before. Should I be concerned?
06-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Might get it out of the direct sunlight and someplace cool. When that has happened I have found that opening up the camera doors and taking off the lens in a cool dry place works fastest.

06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had only been shooting for a half hour at the beach. I have done this numerous times in hotter weather and never had this happen. What gives?
06-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
I had only been shooting for a half hour at the beach. I have done this numerous times in hotter weather and never had this happen. What gives?
More intensive settings? Direct sunlight on the camera body when it's been shaded before? Different battery?
06-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
More intensive settings? Direct sunlight on the camera body when it's been shaded before? Different battery?
Nope none of the above. Yechs!

06-02-2013, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Hi kivis,

This can happen for a number of reasons. If you have the camera set for full time SR (image stabilization), the mechanism can heat up the sensor, so on hot days, it might be prudent to turn this feature off and have SR actuate only at exposure. Also, with the Q's meager battery capacity, it's probably not a bad idea to set it up to sleep relatively quickly. this will save battery and not allow the sensor to be constantly in use for Live View. If it was only a one time deal, then it's really nothing to panic over. This is just a warning, and alerts you to when the sensor has heated up to the point where Image Quality might start to suffer. If the sensor got hot to the point where it might be damaged, then the camera would shut down by itself.

Scott
06-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

from someone who lived in florida for 4 years with the military I can say I wouldnt own anything other than a weather proof camera, it's like jungle weather out there. Extremely hot and extremely humid, for people who havent been to florida, sunglasses, reading glasses, and contact lenses immediately fog up when going outside and you have temporary blindness till the fog clears. Never could understand florida, people moved there for the weather but yet it was the worst weather year around I have ever saw. Probably just florida sun frying your camera, I would keep ip in a camera bag at all times when not actually using it.
06-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
from someone who lived in florida for 4 years with the military I can say I wouldnt own anything other than a weather proof camera, it's like jungle weather out there. Extremely hot and extremely humid, for people who havent been to florida, sunglasses, reading glasses, and contact lenses immediately fog up when going outside and you have temporary blindness till the fog clears. Never could understand florida, people moved there for the weather but yet it was the worst weather year around I have ever saw. Probably just florida sun frying your camera, I would keep ip in a camera bag at all times when not actually using it.
Dem is fightin' words, boy. Me loves Florida especially when my glasses are fogged up. Love it.
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Western Australia and can get very hot here, never had overheating issues with the Q.
It must be combination of the humidity and the heat, while in Singapore my Q did experience the over heating dilema on a few occasions even while walking in a shade in the tropical rainforest.
All that experience did not harm my Q at all.
06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Dem is fightin' words, boy. Me loves Florida especially when my glasses are fogged up. Love it.
haha, I liked florida when I lived there, just the weather was insane, that humidity is no joke. And I lived in florida when it went below zero in the winter. Coming from northern california I didnt think I was going to survive, and I dont think a Q could either, I had problems with humidity when I went camping with it at mt. tamalpais which is nothing compared to florida. I dont think the Q can handle harsh weather at all, wasnt meant for it.
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
haha, I liked florida when I lived there, just the weather was insane, that humidity is no joke. And I lived in florida when it went below zero in the winter. Coming from northern california I didnt think I was going to survive, and I dont think a Q could either, I had problems with humidity when I went camping with it at mt. tamalpais which is nothing compared to florida. I dont think the Q can handle harsh weather at all, wasnt meant for it.
Embrace the sweat!!!
06-04-2013, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Not something we have to worry about here in the UK, but using the optical viewfinder and turning off the rear screen (press the Info button twice), certainly reduces the current drawn from the battery, and the heat generated by the camera, which means it will run much cooler. The rear screen consumes more power than the rest of the camera needs even in video mode, batteries last longer too.

Chris
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Not something we have to worry about here in the UK, but using the optical viewfinder and turning off the rear screen (press the Info button twice), certainly reduces the current drawn from the battery, and the heat generated by the camera, which means it will run much cooler. The rear screen consumes more power than the rest of the camera needs even in video mode, batteries last longer too.

Chris
forgot about this. Excellent suggestion!