Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
But the MS Optical one shows that it's possible.
Not sure if you are referring to the 50mm or the 25mm Sonnetar that looks so very lovely on the Q. A lot to like in the aesthetics department, and some really amazing engineering. They are not AF, though, right?

And I have to say that the rendering and sharpness at the more open settings on the 50mm that I've seen are not at all my cup of tea. Frankly, my 40-year old m50 f/1.4 might have an edge over the MS lens on the Q:
Q miscellany - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare (not that this was wide open - probably right around f/2.4).

06-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

I would LOVE if someone made a Fuji to Pentax Q mount so I can use my Fujinon 35mm f1.4 on the Q
06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmy Quote
I would LOVE if someone made a Fuji to Pentax Q mount so I can use my Fujinon 35mm f1.4 on the Q
That camera is focus by wire, it would have to be a very expensive adapter.
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The q is only good at ISO 320, or less.
I routinely get very good results in excess of ISO 320 with the Pentax Q. In fact the Q is better at high ISO than my K-7.

06-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #20

Still waiting on that wide angle....... Any day now, Pentax.
06-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
But Gibby's point was that there exist lenses that are very small and much faster than the native lenses(many even made by Pentax).
I honestly haven't been favorably impressed by most of the video/CCTV lenses I've tried. The Fujians were worthwhile mostly because they were cheap. I just picked up a 75mm Fujinon C-mount video lens that's been surprisingly good so far, but the build quality doesn't match the Pentax lenses - and the list price I found checking up on it was around $275, though I found it under $15 on fleabay. The Sony, Sony/Canon and Toyo video zoom lenses I've tried have been very well-built, but also very large and heavy on the Q, and the wide aperture was mostly an illusion; it might work well for video, but for stills with the Q I had to stop down to f/2.8 or even f/4 to get reasonable results.

The lenses I have found impressive are C- and D-mount cine movie lenses (for 8/16mm film), and by no means all of them; I've tried close to 50 by now, and found maybe 7 or 8 of them that can rival the sharpness of the 01 prime. And while some of them were wide-angle on movie cameras, very few were even somewhat wider than normal on the Q - and of those, only a couple had what I'd consider 'good' image quality there. (And *everything* I've tried wider than the 01 vignetted something fierce.)