Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
Third-party lenses for the Q?

When do you guys think Tamron, Cosina, Sigma, and the rest will jump on board with the Q?

Charles.

06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
Sadly I think not for a long long time and maybe never. I think the need for an in-lens shutter, smaller market world-wide and the unusual format is a bit tough for the third-parties to swallow. Cosina is the one I hope the most for as they make interesting lenses that would match the Q nicely. A fast but tiny manual normal with a built in shutter would be great!
06-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
Original Poster
The electronic shutter isn't bad, so long as the focal length is reasonably short. An Auto focus, short, faaaaaaast prime would make me happy, even if it didn't have a leaf shutter.

Charles.
06-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
The electronic shutter isn't bad, so long as the focal length is reasonably short. An Auto focus, short, faaaaaaast prime would make me happy, even if it didn't have a leaf shutter.

Charles.
Well, the electronic shutter will affect the image when capturing high speed things, skewing no matter what you do. Also you get a max flash sync of 1/13 with a quirky flash support. Manual focus wont affect image quality on the other hand and a lens with a focus scale would be nice for street photography.

06-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
If anyone put out a fast, wide, prime with AF I think it would sell well, shutter or not.
Something better than the Toy Wide.
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If anyone put out a fast, wide, prime with AF I think it would sell well, shutter or not.
Something better than the Toy Wide.
I agree, I just say that if a have t choose between a shutterless wide angle or one with a shutter for an about 30% higher price, I would probably pay the extra.
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, the electronic shutter will affect the image when capturing high speed things, skewing no matter what you do. Also you get a max flash sync of 1/13 with a quirky flash support. Manual focus wont affect image quality on the other hand and a lens with a focus scale would be nice for street photography.
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,254
QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
Yes it does, assuming a 1/500 sec. shutter speed as an example. With the mechanical shutter the whole sensor is exposed for 1/500 of a sec. then with the shutter closed the sensor is scanned. When the electronic shutter is used at 1/500 sec. each line of the sensor is exposed for 1/500 sec. then scanned, then the next line is exposed and scanned, it takes 1/13 of a sec to expose and scan all the lines on the sensor regardless of shutter speed. From what I understand that's the way it works.

Hans

06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
Hi verdigris,

All of the mechanical shutters have a fastest setting of 1/1000 and the electronic shutter goes to 1/2000. If the camera is set up to use the electronic shutter with a leaf shutter lens, the electronic shutter takes over if Tv is set at faster than 1/1000, but the mechanical shutter has priority if the shutter speed is at or slower than 1/1000.

As Hans stated in his post, when the mechanical shutter is used, the sensor can globally reset all the rows of light sensors at the same time, then dump the data in row sequence behind the shutter, but with the electronic shutter in CMOS cameras, each row of light sensors needs to reset, expose, then dump the data in sequence. With a mechanical shutter, subject movement shows up as blur. With the electronic shutter, horizontal movement will show up as skew more than blur because with each row exposing in sequence, but at the specified shutter speed, the blur controlled by the Tv value if it's fast enough, but the movement is captured as a horizontal displacement. Vertical movement will show up as vertical compression or stretching which isn't as immediately noticeable.

Scott
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
With the electronic shutter, horizontal movement will show up as skew more than blur because with each row exposing in sequence, but at the specified shutter speed, the blur controlled by the Tv value if it's fast enough, but the movement is captured as a horizontal displacement.
Here's a couple of horizontal displacement samples, taken at 1/800s with an old Cooke Kinic lens from a train speeding at more than 300km/h.





The distant landscape is sharp and free from distortion, while the fence, the bushes and the pole in the foreground are heavily distorted (slanted).

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member
wanderography's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hayward, California, USA
Posts: 567
I get the slanted problem with my sonnetar, it only happens with moving subjects, they could be walking at a slow pace and it'll happen, at any shutter speed. The downfall of an electronic shutter really. My sonnetar is still photography only. I never get that problem with the 01.
06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Yes it does, assuming a 1/500 sec. shutter speed as an example. With the mechanical shutter the whole sensor is exposed for 1/500 of a sec. then with the shutter closed the sensor is scanned. When the electronic shutter is used at 1/500 sec. each line of the sensor is exposed for 1/500 sec. then scanned, then the next line is exposed and scanned, it takes 1/13 of a sec to expose and scan all the lines on the sensor regardless of shutter speed. From what I understand that's the way it works.

Hans
Ok maybe I didn't understand how the sensor scans so well after all. From reading your post, it seems to me the "shutter speed" is how long each line gets exposed before reading and that to scan all the lines, ie the whole frame, takes 1/13 of a second, no matter what the 'shutter speed' is. Ok I was presuming that reading the entire frame was much faster than that. Makes sense how I've been able to capture still images that were half exposed by a strobe.
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
Look at these shots comparing use of leaf shutter vs electronic shutter on fast moving object, in this case fan blades.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220232-genuine-pentax-k-q-adapte...ml#post2335369
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Look at these shots comparing use of leaf shutter vs electronic shutter on fast moving object, in this case fan blades.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220232-genuine-pentax-k-q-adapte...ml#post2335369
So funny!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, third-party lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Third-Party Weather Sealed Lenses for Pentax Mlcinema Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 07-22-2013 12:16 AM
Third Party Lenses? gabesgang Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 09-19-2012 06:38 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Various Third-Party Lenses Ben E Sold Items 4 07-13-2011 10:53 PM
Third Party Lenses for 645D carlprad Pentax Medium Format 6 05-25-2011 11:53 AM
Third Party Lenses NOT for Pentax JJJPhoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 08-03-2008 06:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top