Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Third-party lenses for the Q?

When do you guys think Tamron, Cosina, Sigma, and the rest will jump on board with the Q?

Charles.

06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sadly I think not for a long long time and maybe never. I think the need for an in-lens shutter, smaller market world-wide and the unusual format is a bit tough for the third-parties to swallow. Cosina is the one I hope the most for as they make interesting lenses that would match the Q nicely. A fast but tiny manual normal with a built in shutter would be great!
06-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The electronic shutter isn't bad, so long as the focal length is reasonably short. An Auto focus, short, faaaaaaast prime would make me happy, even if it didn't have a leaf shutter.

Charles.
06-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
The electronic shutter isn't bad, so long as the focal length is reasonably short. An Auto focus, short, faaaaaaast prime would make me happy, even if it didn't have a leaf shutter.

Charles.
Well, the electronic shutter will affect the image when capturing high speed things, skewing no matter what you do. Also you get a max flash sync of 1/13 with a quirky flash support. Manual focus wont affect image quality on the other hand and a lens with a focus scale would be nice for street photography.

06-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone put out a fast, wide, prime with AF I think it would sell well, shutter or not.
Something better than the Toy Wide.
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If anyone put out a fast, wide, prime with AF I think it would sell well, shutter or not.
Something better than the Toy Wide.
I agree, I just say that if a have t choose between a shutterless wide angle or one with a shutter for an about 30% higher price, I would probably pay the extra.
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, the electronic shutter will affect the image when capturing high speed things, skewing no matter what you do. Also you get a max flash sync of 1/13 with a quirky flash support. Manual focus wont affect image quality on the other hand and a lens with a focus scale would be nice for street photography.
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Can anyone confirm that using a mechanical shutter helps prevent skew? Conceptually I have trouble understanding that, as wiith the mechanical shutter in the 01 prime the fastest setting is the same as for the electronic shutter. If the image coming through the lens changes over the course of the exposure time, there is going to be skew whether the shutter is mechanical or not.
Yes it does, assuming a 1/500 sec. shutter speed as an example. With the mechanical shutter the whole sensor is exposed for 1/500 of a sec. then with the shutter closed the sensor is scanned. When the electronic shutter is used at 1/500 sec. each line of the sensor is exposed for 1/500 sec. then scanned, then the next line is exposed and scanned, it takes 1/13 of a sec to expose and scan all the lines on the sensor regardless of shutter speed. From what I understand that's the way it works.

Hans

06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi verdigris,

All of the mechanical shutters have a fastest setting of 1/1000 and the electronic shutter goes to 1/2000. If the camera is set up to use the electronic shutter with a leaf shutter lens, the electronic shutter takes over if Tv is set at faster than 1/1000, but the mechanical shutter has priority if the shutter speed is at or slower than 1/1000.

As Hans stated in his post, when the mechanical shutter is used, the sensor can globally reset all the rows of light sensors at the same time, then dump the data in row sequence behind the shutter, but with the electronic shutter in CMOS cameras, each row of light sensors needs to reset, expose, then dump the data in sequence. With a mechanical shutter, subject movement shows up as blur. With the electronic shutter, horizontal movement will show up as skew more than blur because with each row exposing in sequence, but at the specified shutter speed, the blur controlled by the Tv value if it's fast enough, but the movement is captured as a horizontal displacement. Vertical movement will show up as vertical compression or stretching which isn't as immediately noticeable.

Scott
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
With the electronic shutter, horizontal movement will show up as skew more than blur because with each row exposing in sequence, but at the specified shutter speed, the blur controlled by the Tv value if it's fast enough, but the movement is captured as a horizontal displacement.
Here's a couple of horizontal displacement samples, taken at 1/800s with an old Cooke Kinic lens from a train speeding at more than 300km/h.

The distant landscape is sharp and free from distortion, while the fence, the bushes and the pole in the foreground are heavily distorted (slanted).

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I get the slanted problem with my sonnetar, it only happens with moving subjects, they could be walking at a slow pace and it'll happen, at any shutter speed. The downfall of an electronic shutter really. My sonnetar is still photography only. I never get that problem with the 01.
06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Yes it does, assuming a 1/500 sec. shutter speed as an example. With the mechanical shutter the whole sensor is exposed for 1/500 of a sec. then with the shutter closed the sensor is scanned. When the electronic shutter is used at 1/500 sec. each line of the sensor is exposed for 1/500 sec. then scanned, then the next line is exposed and scanned, it takes 1/13 of a sec to expose and scan all the lines on the sensor regardless of shutter speed. From what I understand that's the way it works.

Hans
Ok maybe I didn't understand how the sensor scans so well after all. From reading your post, it seems to me the "shutter speed" is how long each line gets exposed before reading and that to scan all the lines, ie the whole frame, takes 1/13 of a second, no matter what the 'shutter speed' is. Ok I was presuming that reading the entire frame was much faster than that. Makes sense how I've been able to capture still images that were half exposed by a strobe.
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at these shots comparing use of leaf shutter vs electronic shutter on fast moving object, in this case fan blades.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220232-genuine-pentax-k-q-adapte...ml#post2335369
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Look at these shots comparing use of leaf shutter vs electronic shutter on fast moving object, in this case fan blades.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/220232-genuine-pentax-k-q-adapte...ml#post2335369
So funny!