Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
To Q or Not to Q - persuade me

Hi all,

Having been a Pentax fan for many years, and already owning a Pentax Me Super and K-x (DSLR), I am seriously considering purchasing a Pentax Q (body only) so I can make use of some of my lenses on this small body.

I do have some reservations, the main one being the electronic shutter when using legacy lenses as I would not be able to afford the official Pentax K-Q adapter for quit a while.

On the regular forum, I did post some pictures of the Welmy 28mm lens, which when attached to the Q will give an equivalent focal length of around 154mm, which using wide open may result in excellent soft portraits:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/178685-welmy-2...ml#post2392637

After spending the last couple of days looking at sample images, some of which are just WOW when using legacy lenses, have these been taken with the official K-Q adapter or one of the cheap 3rd party ones from that auction site.

The moon shots are also of interest, but again a cheap adapter, electronic shutter - is it money down the drain.

As a lot of you have experience with this body and legacy lenses, please give your honest thoughts as I don't want to throw my money away with bad rolling shutter artifacts, no infinity and really bad results.

I would also look at the M42 - Q adapter, as my Asahi Pentax Bellows II may really like this camera.

Thank you for your input and thoughts - which way will you persuade me?

06-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zelda_n64 Quote
Hi all,

Having been a Pentax fan for many years, and already owning a Pentax Me Super and K-x (DSLR), I am seriously considering purchasing a Pentax Q (body only) so I can make use of some of my lenses on this small body.

I do have some reservations, the main one being the electronic shutter when using legacy lenses as I would not be able to afford the official Pentax K-Q adapter for quit a while.

On the regular forum, I did post some pictures of the Welmy 28mm lens, which when attached to the Q will give an equivalent focal length of around 154mm, which using wide open may result in excellent soft portraits:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/178685-welmy-2...ml#post2392637

After spending the last couple of days looking at sample images, some of which are just WOW when using legacy lenses, have these been taken with the official K-Q adapter or one of the cheap 3rd party ones from that auction site.

The moon shots are also of interest, but again a cheap adapter, electronic shutter - is it money down the drain.

As a lot of you have experience with this body and legacy lenses, please give your honest thoughts as I don't want to throw my money away with bad rolling shutter artifacts, no infinity and really bad results.

I would also look at the M42 - Q adapter, as my Asahi Pentax Bellows II may really like this camera.

If you're looking to do portraiture, I'd go with a DSLR and a proper portrait lens. You'll get better dynamic range, better handling (af + more stability) and nicer bokeh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zelda_n64 Quote
Hi all,

Go for the genuine if you want flash, otherwise hard to say, although there is an interesting jello thread to show distortion with the electronic shutter
06-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you plan to use a tripod and no flash with adapted lenses the 3rd party adapters are fine. Hand held shots will tend to distort backgrounds (Jello) when using 3rd party adapters from camera movement even at fast shutter speeds because of sensor scan time.

Hans

06-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies, I will wait for a while and save for the official K-Q adapter.

I don't want to be disappointed as I would prefer to use handheld where possible, with a select few of my K/M42 lenses.
06-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
So I Q'd

After a lot of deliberation, I purchased a Pentax Q body.

Today my M42 to Q adapter turned up, and a little earlier I took a couple of photos through the window as it was raining and overcast and breezy.

ISO 400, 1/40 sec, cannot remember Fstop, 200mm Pentacon lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/41368-zelda_n64/albums/7002-first...ture61686.html

ISO 125, 1/40 sec, cannot remember Fstop, 135mm Takumar lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/41368-zelda_n64/albums/7002-first...ture61685.html

I should have paid attention to the Fstop, but through excitement, all I can remember is that they were either wide open of F5.6. As this was only a test in bad conditions, I cannot wait now for a dry day. I will also practice focusing
06-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

II'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the Pentax Rep told me the adapter has a built in leaf shutter. It seemed to be a selling point.

06-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
normhead, I do believe the official K to Q adapter has a leaf shutter, but at present the price is a little out of my reach, although as I have some fine K mount lenses for my K-x, I hopefully will save and get one.

The 3rd party M42 adapter, £15.90 delivered from ebay, which turned up today, does not include such a device so both the images in the links above were shot in manual mode. For some reason, I only use manual mode on my K-x, as I find it easier to understand.