Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #1

Which Q should I go for?

I've been scouring eBay for a while and found these two listings:

Pentax Q 12 4 MP Digital Camera Black Body W 25mm 1 8 Lens RJ C Mount Adapter | eBay

NEW Pentax Q 15100 12 4 MP 460K LCD Digital Camera 02 Standard Zoom Lens KIT 027075214972 | eBay

I'm currently working out which I should go for. While the first listing shows pictures of everything included (which I appreciate), I'm esstentially paying for the body and the adapter as the lens' focal length is a little too long for my liking. The second listing has everything according to the description and the buyer has a high percentage (99.3%).

I personally think that going for the second would be best. What's your opinion?

06-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like neither is buy it now so you may wind up paying what you would for a new kit with warranty from a normal seller.
You may want to consider getting an 02 kit new from around 250 or less as they pop up, then add the Pentax 2 yr addl warranty for 20 bux.

Lots of folks love the 01 lens though.
06-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looks like neither is buy it now so you may wind up paying what you would for a new kit with warranty from a normal seller.
You may want to consider getting an 02 kit new from around 250 or less as they pop up, then add the Pentax 2 yr addl warranty for 20 bux.

Lots of folks love the 01 lens though.
I did actually find a kit with the 01 and 02 lenses. I hope it doen't go up too much from the current price.

Pentax Q 12 4 MP Digital Camera Black KIT W 8 5mm AND 5 15mm Lenses 027075207790 | eBay

The reason I wished to get the Q for as low a price as possible was just for the body itself. I would then build up my lens collection over time with better (faster or farther reaching) lenses. I like the 01 lens a lot but would prefer something faster, with a similar focal length for low light shooting which I believe will make up much of my pictures.

That said, I may end up bidding on this. Man, this is going to get addicting.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 06-07-2013 at 07:13 AM.
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
lens

I suggest you start out with a Pentax Q lens 01 or 02 before getting into the adapted lenses so will experience the full flash and AF features first. I have the 02 and like it but have never used the 01.

06-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just remember that the Q body does not have a mechanical shutter and adapted lenses are subject to distortion created by the slow sensor scan time (jello) as some here call it. Also fast C mount lenses have not been the sharpest when shot wide open. I would go with the 01 or 02 to start then add an adapter and play with some lenses later

Hans
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you very much for that bit of advice pickone and hnikesch. I'll put in a bid on one of the last two and see what happens.
06-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Soul_Est Quote
I like the 01 lens a lot but would prefer something faster, with a similar focal length for low light shooting which I believe will make up much of my pictures.
I am not trying to stop you from buying a Q, but if that's going to be the bulk of your shooting, you might want to pick up a K-01 instead. It does do a pretty good job with flash and the IS, but it's hard to beat having clean ISO1600 output.
06-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I am not trying to stop you from buying a Q, but if that's going to be the bulk of your shooting, you might want to pick up a K-01 instead. It does do a pretty good job with flash and the IS, but it's hard to beat having clean ISO1600 output.
Thank you for the suggestion and I've considered that as well; but for me, having the camera on me all the time (in my pocket usually) is a must. Otherwise, I just have my Xperia Ray and that doesn't fare well at night.

06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I can't really decide if I prefer my k01 or my Q for low light situations. Certainly the K01 goes higher in ISO before getting ugly, but the 'ugliness' of the Q at high ISO is actually kinda pretty to me, especially when you develop the RAW files in particular ways. I shoot at 6400 for effect sometimes for night shots, when I could certainly get a stable shot at lower ISO. It's cool that you can get very fast lenses (0.95-1.4) in useful ranges (6.5-36 mm) for not too much money. In general I find putting a 50 mm lens on the Q to be a bit much for walkabout handheld shots (some rangefinder 50s are small enough to handle ok)

I don't get as interesting results at high ISO from the K01, although you can go to higher ISO for 'usable' pictures in the conventional sense.
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I went for a Q with 01 lens because the 02 zoom is too slow and ordinary. The normal prime was the right choice for me. I used it for the Single In May challenge:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/SingleInMay201302#

06-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
Now I'm really hoping that I'm outbid on the other auction that featured just the 02 lens.
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Soul Est, if your main shooting is to be handheld available light, the 01 lens will be your best bet. You aren't going to find a sharper lens wide open at f 1.9. You can put a faster lens on the K-01, but there is so little depth of field. The Q has Quite a bit of depth of field at 1.9. The Q can also be held steady at very low shutter speeds because of the nearly vibrationless leaf shutter and the Shake Reduction (SR).
thanks
barondla

I also think the Q has an expressive high ISO noise pattern. Can be very artistic.
06-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the advice barondla. I was hoping that I could find (or with time, build) a lens that surpasses it. I'll keep an eye on the auction that includes a 01 and 02 lenses and hope that the price doesn't go any higher and that the last bidder hasn't set a max bid beyond my budget. Hopefully, the price of the 01 lens is reduced later this year.
06-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Soul Est, if your main shooting is to be handheld available light, the 01 lens will be your best bet. You aren't going to find a sharper lens wide open at f 1.9. You can put a faster lens on the K-01, but there is so little depth of field. The Q has Quite a bit of depth of field at 1.9. The Q can also be held steady at very low shutter speeds because of the nearly vibrationless leaf shutter and the Shake Reduction (SR).
thanks
barondla

I also think the Q has an expressive high ISO noise pattern. Can be very artistic.
I agree. I let the ISO run up to 1600 and find the grain can be appealing. F/1.9 and ISO 1600 can cover any reasonable situation. Here's an ISO 1600 sample:

06-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #15

Soul-est, you are not going to keep the bids low on ebay auctions by posting them here, some of us may have missed the auctions you are posting. Patience is the best strategy for snagging a Q cheap on the bay, but your best bet may be catching one of the new kits on sale, watch the price watch forum for those deals.

I too am hunting for the 01 lens, and second Q for my wife, but have a set of Auto 110 lenses, a M39 adapter with lens, and want the 06 and pentax k adapter. Very addictive. Most fun I've had with a camera since I gave up film a few years ago, playing with medium format stuff, and am slowly converting it over to Q and dslr equipment.

Good luck.