Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Setting USER for Pentax q

I did not understand this setting, how to make it!
Can somebody explain it for me!

06-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use the filters and what not to get the image you want. For instance, set it to monochrome with a red filter, up the contrast and turn on the "toy camera" setting. Then go into the USER manager and save this as USER 1 or 2 or whatever. Now, you can set the front dial to USER 1 or 2 to quickly access this setting.
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, I gave up on this - couldn't make any sense of the manual explanation and sorry but you're explanation doesn't help either.. Brain block or something.. :|
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus one

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yeah, I gave up on this - couldn't make any sense of the manual explanation and sorry but you're explanation doesn't help either.. Brain block or something.. :|
I also gave up on trying to figure this out. I thought I was following the instructions but couldn't get to the final step of saving the settings to one of the positions on the front switch. Does anyone else have an explanation for how it works?

06-07-2013, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what part are you having trouble with?

1. set up your camera with the settings you want it to save. If you want it to be b&w, or any other filter, set them up now.

2. press the menu button and press the right arrow key to get to tab 3

3. go down one to Quick Dial

4. press right to edit the quick dial settings

5. choose smart effects

6. Then scroll down to one of the quick dial spaces

7. press left/right until you get the USER 1, 2, or 3 setting in the box

8. press -/+ button to edit the settings

9. choose which user mode you want to save your settings as and hit the green button to manage that user setting

10. choose "save settings"

Now the effects that you chose in the begging are saved as USER 1, 2, or 3. Choose them in the smart dial menu. Now when you change the smart dial, it will cycle through your user settings.
06-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The damn problem with these "User settings" on the smart dial is, that they only include the "filters" that you can apply, and not other settings (such as file format, ISO interval etc...). I ended up finding that bit to be just an useless gimmick, shoot everything in RAW.

I'd have loved for e.g. "position 1" to be "idiot-proof, set camera to this when handing off to somebody", "position 2" to be "low ISO, suppress flash, RAW" etc. But, that's not to be.

The smart dial is, at best, useless
06-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

@enoeske: Thanks.. I could follow that and set USER 1 and USER 2

@tclausen: I've found that with USER 1 and 2 set while JPG is set, I can then set the front dial to • (off) and switch to DNG, flicking to USER 1 or 2 goes back to JPG. So in effect, I have both file format choices. Off for DNG and USER 1 for JPG. Seems to work fine.

06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
what part are you having trouble with?

8. press -/+ button to edit the settings
+/- mean exposure control button

but you can't edit anything, you can only choose an effect
pls, take a screenshot with number 8 when we can see what can we edit!