Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 11:11 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The joy of my little Q

Totally random post about my life with Pentax and the joy of my little Pentax Q.
Back in the 70"s as a teenager I became entranced by the magic of photography after watching a black and white photo magically appear in a friend's darkroom developer tray. My dear old mum satisfied my teenage nagging with the purchase of my first Pentax, the wonderful workhorse K1000. There followed more joy as I learnt the basics of photography with it, set up my first darkroom, sank to the bottom of a creek with it while bushwalking and then waited 24 hours while I dried it out on low heat in an oven. That old brick is still working to this day, it was soon joined by a wonderful little MX and then as time , finances and opportunity arose a full kit of lenses and the wonderful LX. As time moved on and the digital world took over, I appreciated being able to use my acquired lenses on all the new digital cameras and the joy of autofocus on my new lenses. Over time I had acquired so much Pentax kit that I was starting to have bruises on my shoulders from the weight of the camera bag"s strap !
Then along came the magical little Pentax Q ! Suddenly I had the feeling back of my K1000, control over the settings, interchangeable lenses,and easy to use, a camera I take with me everywhere. Discrete and able to deliver a quality photo without threatening a timid subject with the size of my K5 and 17-50 with huge tulip shaped lens hood peering at them.
My dear old Mum hasn't been travelling too well health wise over the last couple of years, I had been meaning to get a "good" photo of her for quite a while. Not wanting to upset her with bringing out all the big photo gear, which might have taken away from my visits with her, I had put off getting "that" memory shot of her. I have recently decided to set myself a facebook photo challenge of taking a photo a day and posting on my wall. I use whatever image capture device I have with me from iPhone to Pentax 67II. The go to camera has been my Pentax Q, easy to pocket , quality result and always to hand. I popped it into my pocket as I rode my bicycle the 50km to Mum's house to combine a visit with my current health kick and weight loss effort. While sitting there having a chat with Mum, a had the Q in the hand and just snapped away, without the camera getting in the way of our conversation, then just as I was leaving I swapped over to the 06 telephoto and took a couple of shots where she knew I was taking the shot. I was very pleased with the pictures I had captured. The ability to turn off the flash and just use the available window light was handy, the extra reach of the telephoto to give good perspective on her portrait and the natural colour from available light, rather than flash washing out her fragile, aged, features made for a photo I was proud to print up and show her on my next visit. She was also happy with the result and happy that she looked much better than the image she saw in the mirror each day. If I hadn't have pocketed the little Q, I would never have had that memory shot of Mum, as she passed away yesterday. While my brother and I talked over her passing, he even mentioned what a great shot of her it was, all made possible because of the gift of my first K1000 from my dear old Mum and the development of my latest little Pentax Q. Thank you Pentax and Rest in Peace Beryl.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing that story.
Beryl looks happy in that shot, most likely because you were there to share a moment with her.
Nice to hear the Q helped facilitate it.
I hope to feel the joy she shows in that image when I get on in age myself.
Sorry for your loss.
RIP Beryl.
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Totally random post about my life with Pentax and the joy of my little Pentax Q.
Back in the 70"s as a teenager I became entranced by the magic of photography after watching a black and white photo magically appear in a friend's darkroom developer tray. My dear old mum satisfied my teenage nagging with the purchase of my first Pentax, the wonderful workhorse K1000. There followed more joy as I learnt the basics of photography with it, set up my first darkroom, sank to the bottom of a creek with it while bushwalking and then waited 24 hours while I dried it out on low heat in an oven. That old brick is still working to this day, it was soon joined by a wonderful little MX and then as time , finances and opportunity arose a full kit of lenses and the wonderful LX. As time moved on and the digital world took over, I appreciated being able to use my acquired lenses on all the new digital cameras and the joy of autofocus on my new lenses. Over time I had acquired so much Pentax kit that I was starting to have bruises on my shoulders from the weight of the camera bag"s strap !
Then along came the magical little Pentax Q ! Suddenly I had the feeling back of my K1000, control over the settings, interchangeable lenses,and easy to use, a camera I take with me everywhere. Discrete and able to deliver a quality photo without threatening a timid subject with the size of my K5 and 17-50 with huge tulip shaped lens hood peering at them.
My dear old Mum hasn't been travelling too well health wise over the last couple of years, I had been meaning to get a "good" photo of her for quite a while. Not wanting to upset her with bringing out all the big photo gear, which might have taken away from my visits with her, I had put off getting "that" memory shot of her. I have recently decided to set myself a facebook photo challenge of taking a photo a day and posting on my wall. I use whatever image capture device I have with me from iPhone to Pentax 67II. The go to camera has been my Pentax Q, easy to pocket , quality result and always to hand. I popped it into my pocket as I rode my bicycle the 50km to Mum's house to combine a visit with my current health kick and weight loss effort. While sitting there having a chat with Mum, a had the Q in the hand and just snapped away, without the camera getting in the way of our conversation, then just as I was leaving I swapped over to the 06 telephoto and took a couple of shots where she knew I was taking the shot. I was very pleased with the pictures I had captured. The ability to turn off the flash and just use the available window light was handy, the extra reach of the telephoto to give good perspective on her portrait and the natural colour from available light, rather than flash washing out her fragile, aged, features made for a photo I was proud to print up and show her on my next visit. She was also happy with the result and happy that she looked much better than the image she saw in the mirror each day. If I hadn't have pocketed the little Q, I would never have had that memory shot of Mum, as she passed away yesterday. While my brother and I talked over her passing, he even mentioned what a great shot of her it was, all made possible because of the gift of my first K1000 from my dear old Mum and the development of my latest little Pentax Q. Thank you Pentax and Rest in Peace Beryl.
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

I had a somewhat similar experience recently. This past December I was hanging out with a friend, just goofing off really. We were at her place and I had my camera with me, and I was just taking funny pictures of her and her cat. I filed them away because they were just silly shots.

Well her cat died last week, and she asked me for those pictures. I had a look at them again, and for some reason they look better, as if her cat's death transformed them into something more than just silly shots. They've taken on a whole new meaning, and those pictures now mean the world to her, as they showed her and her cat happily playing together.

Thanks again for sharing Gary. your story is a great example that shows how all of this "photography stuff" can become more than just a fun personal hobby.
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you for sharing...you brought tears to my eyes...my thoughts are with you and your family!!!

06-07-2013, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

A very touching story, beautifully told. Thanks, and my thoughts are also, with you and your family.

I am in similar situation with a 96 year old mother, now in a permanent aged care facility. Taking a photo like that makes me think, perhaps I should be doing something similar.
She hates having her photo taken though.
06-07-2013, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #6

Excellent picture and beautiful post!
06-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for reading this post and the kind words, things settling down now and I have purchased a fresh sd card to record the funeral on the Q.

06-08-2013, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Sorry for you loss. I'm glad you were able to use your Q to capture a lasting image of your Mum.