Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Fujifilm X-Pro1, Pentax Q, Olympus OM-D: *UPDATED*

Hi again all! I just wanted to show you what I posted up 2 days ago. Fujifilm X-Pro1, Pentax Q, Olympus OM-D: Can you guess which one? — BokehDreams people started voting already and I have received a lot of comments and emails (some good, some mean, some just demanding whats the answer already) I will be making a huge post much later tonight with the results. For now me and my Fiance are taking our cameras to Manhattan to do our final shots. Stay tuned and Take care

*UPDATE* Sorry I didn't update last night but I got home really late from the city and was too tired. Here it is guys!
Answer to previous post + My love for the Q — BokehDreams

Last edited by Grimmy; 06-09-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: updated with results
06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For me is...

1- OMD
2- Q
3- X-pro

and i also made a similar post here in Portugal and put everybody with a funky face after they see the results
the Q is a fantastic BIG camera
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extremely tough, but I voted the same as pspentax.
06-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I voted the same as well. Barrel distortion?

06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

All three with the Q.
06-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cesium Quote
All three with the Q.
I was thinking about it too, but that would be a mean mean mean test.
06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

I agree with Cesium. All 3 Q

06-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

For work: OM-D
For hobby: X-Pro
For fun: Q
06-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went with all Q
06-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What makes it more difficult is seeing through the BW post processing. For example, #3. A more contrasty scene out in the sun, not as interesting as the others and processed to look like a stereo type, small format film with crushed blacks look typical of people just learning how to develop their own film or push processing happy. So either camera would look bad in that scene.
06-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #11

I agree with the others. All 3 with the Q and maybe using blur control on the 3rd. There's noticeable, uncorrected barrel distortion (less so on the 3rd).
06-09-2013, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Original Poster
*Update*

Well guys here's the new post Answer to previous post + My love for the Q — BokehDreams Sorry if i tricked some of you guys, I tricked all of my other friends who own the big boys. I honestly started this quiz because of the bashing I got from so many of my friends. They kept telling me to sell the Q and get 14mm XF Lens for the Fuji or instead of having the Q for a backup cam that I should buy the Fuji X10 or the X20. I remember my friend when he held the Q he thought it was cheaply built and it looks like a "Girl Camera" Well looks like a proved them wrong and now 2 of them who were making fun want to buy one, I know some of them DO want one but have too much pride to admit that the Q is a good camera. I love the Q, it's a work of engineering art IMO. I told myself when I got this camera that I would be using it as my backup to the X-Pro1 but I find that sometimes I am shooting more with the Q than the Pro1 in certain situations.. it's just so damn fun to use. My fiance loves the camera.. so much that she returned her Q that just came in and placed an order on the Evangelion Edition of the Q10 White and Blue with the 8.5mm prime (She's a big spender) This camera is also much more easier to use for my stealth shots with the Fisheye than my noticeable X-Pro1 + 8mm Samyang lens. I can see why people buy more than 1 Pentax Q now. I tell myself I don't really need a second one but then a little voice on my head starts to tell me *You can get a second one to use the Fisheye Lens, in case the battery dies on the other, get a different color, Ugh! It kills me.. what makes it worse is that it's so affordable. Well I decided that I will get a second one but maybe the Q10 instead. I am very happy to be a Pentax Q owner and will look forward for more updates for this camera, My next lens after I order the Q10 will be the 06 lens.
06-09-2013, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

No hard feelings, I actually was going to vote all Q at first but changed my mind just before voting. Snobism is probably the main thing hurting the Q sales, not the actual capability. I have a hard time finding the cheap build. It's a real photographic tool with manual controls, metal build and a lot of small things made with serious photography in mind. Everything from the menu system to the long extending flash are enthusiast level.
06-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 01 prime always needs distortion correction, either in the camera or in post.

I assumed there was one photo from each camera. I went with Fuji, Q, Olympus. I chose Q in the middle photo due to the heavy distortion, otherwise my votes would have been a complete crap shoot.

Anyone who says the Q has a cheap build is an idiot. It looks and feels like a miniature pro-quality camera.
06-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The 01 prime always needs distortion correction, either in the camera or in post.

I assumed there was one photo from each camera. I went with Fuji, Q, Olympus. I chose Q in the middle photo due to the heavy distortion, otherwise my votes would have been a complete crap shoot.

Anyone who says the Q has a cheap build is an idiot. It looks and feels like a miniature pro-quality camera.
Add also that many m3/4 lenses got equal or worse distortion than the Q lenses, quite impressive optical designing by Pentax!
Just look at this 34mm equivalent for example: Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 Pancake - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The Panasonic Leica 25mm (about the same field of view as the Q01) is just a bit better than the Q standard prime: http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/740-pana25?start=1