Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,224
First Q pole view landscape.

Pentax Q, Pentax Q fisheye. Modified 10ft painters pole with ball head and Ultra small Arca QR. Doesn't take much to hoist a Q!

Wanted a greater height than 10ft, so I held the pole overhead without it touching the ground. This put the Q approx 15ft in the air. Set the intravalometer to shoot every 7 seconds while turning the pole between shots. Tried to hold the pole steady and level. This would be easier with a pole resting on the ground.

Used PSE11 to join two vertical shots into this panoramic. Horizon was sloping slightly so it was corrected in PSE11 and cropped. This came out much better than I imagined. Will definetly use this technique more in the future. The Q is so much fun and it really encourages trying new things. There is no way I could pull this off with the K-7 and 10-17. Way too heavy.

thanks
barondla

Thanks to digital029art for the motivation and photo tips. Much appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
06-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,772
Hmm...interesting...
I had the same thought too a few weeks back, maybe on a 12ft surf fishing rod or even a kite with the Q wrapped in a styrofoam box.

Its very encouraging to see your results here.
06-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Great photo!

I've also been intrigued by digital029art's photos - like you say the Q makes so many things possible!
06-09-2013, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,224
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Here is a single exposure pointed down at the ground.
thanks
barondla

The pole came from Ace Hardware. Less than $20. Drilled a slightly smaller than 1/4x20 hole in plastic top, inserted bolt and ball head. Easy. Try it. What a view.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Forum Member
ElvisQ's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 74
Very Smart!
06-09-2013, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,128
My wife thoughtfully bought me a "Present" yesterday at a camping accessories show. A 10ft extendable pole with hose fittings for washing caravans, high windows etc.

*def: "Present" - (pre znt) - a tool which you do not really need or want, that your wife buys you to supposedly enable you to do some kind of work task around the house or garden.


I'm not planning to do any caravan or window washing in the near future so I think i've just found another use for it. Thanks.
06-10-2013, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
Rather than just using the timer to take the shots I use this IR remote mod

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

Then use an RF604 Tx and Rx (with the camera lead) to trip the shutter remotely.

If you want to get really hi tech use a USB to AV lead (the one with the yellow phono plug on it) and connect with a phono to phono extension lead to a screen that will input composite video, now you can see the cameras view, another advantage is you can turn off the rear screen on the Q (press the Info button twice) and then your battery will last for hours.

The Q is crying out for attaching to a quadcopter. But your pole is a much cheaper option.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 06-10-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Addition
06-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
My wife thoughtfully bought me a "Present" yesterday at a camping accessories show. A 10ft extendable pole with hose fittings for washing caravans, high windows etc.

*def: "Present" - (pre znt) - a tool which you do not really need or want, that your wife buys you to supposedly enable you to do some kind of work task around the house or garden.


I'm not planning to do any caravan or window washing in the near future so I think i've just found another use for it. Thanks.
Wonder how long it will take her to notice there is a Q on the pole instead of a soapy brush? Would love to see her reaction. Have fun with the present.
thanks
barondla

06-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Rather than just using the timer to take the shots I use this IR remote mod

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

Then use an RF604 Tx and Rx (with the camera lead) to trip the shutter remotely.

If you want to get really hi tech use a USB to AV lead (the one with the yellow phono plug on it) and connect with a phono to phono extension lead to a screen that will input composite video, now you can see the cameras view, another advantage is you can turn off the rear screen on the Q (press the Info button twice) and then your battery will last for hours.

The Q is crying out for attaching to a quadcopter. But your pole is a much cheaper option.

Chris
Will check out the remote release. Would make things easier. Have a screen - haven't tried it yet. wanted to test the Q and fisheye before rigging everything up. Was not sure I could use this setup for panos. It works fine. No flying for me. Kites or copters would end my Q prematurely.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 06-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member
digital029art's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax Q, Pentax Q fisheye. Modified 10ft painters pole with ball head and Ultra small Arca QR. Doesn't take much to hoist a Q!

Wanted a greater height than 10ft, so I held the pole overhead without it touching the ground. This put the Q approx 15ft in the air. Set the intravalometer to shoot every 7 seconds while turning the pole between shots. Tried to hold the pole steady and level. This would be easier with a pole resting on the ground.

Used PSE11 to join two vertical shots into this panoramic. Horizon was sloping slightly so it was corrected in PSE11 and cropped. This came out much better than I imagined. Will definetly use this technique more in the future. The Q is so much fun and it really encourages trying new things. There is no way I could pull this off with the K-7 and 10-17. Way too heavy.

thanks
barondla

Thanks to digital029art for the motivation and photo tips. Much appreciated.
You're welcome barondla, good to see you are giving this a try!!
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 30
More info on Pole Photography

If you want more info on Pole Photography-- go to "Photography for Real Estate" site. When there put: Pole Aerial Photography in their search box and look for Ron Wisman's article (I think that's his last name). Very informative and gives all sorts of ideas and such. You should find it interesting and useful.
06-11-2013, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
Hi barondla,

Nice work!

About the shutter release -- I'd try taping a small acrylic mirror or even a small piece of aluminum foil, angled at about 45 over the front IR remote sensor. This would reflect the IR trigger directly into the more sensitive front sensor, which should work with practical pole lengths. Similarly, foil or mirrors can be used to utilize the front sensor when using the IR remote from the rear of the camera (Pentax did a great thing by giving us a rear sensor, but in practice, it's a little too fussy for me to rely on)

Scott
07-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,224
Original Poster
I held the 12ft pole straight out horizontally. I was surprised at how hard the very light weight Q and ballhead were to control. I now see why people have counter weights on the opposite end of the pole.

Fisheye lens works great for this application. Would love to try the #02 zoom at wide angle, but not sure I could hold the extra weight. Was trying not to dunk the Q!

Thanks
barondla

The Q is fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
Nice work with the pole application Barondla!
You' ve given me some inspiration.
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member
digital029art's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
Keep the Q continuum fun rolling guyz! Just be extra careful - my "aerial Q" is now injured .. see my thread (this was actually it's second Near Death Experience - first was a salt water encounter.. as recounted there)

As far as the 02 at 28mm setting .. I haven't used myself this b/c don't see any obvious way to lock focus at infinity!?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, ground, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, pole, q10, q7, shots, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q view finder on K01 Big Bob Pentax K-01 5 03-13-2013 05:32 PM
settings for landscape with Q ? dh4412 Pentax Q 3 01-15-2013 06:36 PM
Landscape My first landscape bombicri Photo Critique 7 06-30-2012 03:46 AM
Landscape My First Landscape Rupert Post Your Photos! 11 11-15-2011 05:52 PM
Landscape Astrophotography Tutorial - First Night Out interested_observer Photographic Technique 12 07-15-2011 11:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top