Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you want to be the Q7?
Microphone input 920.00%
PC-Sync 715.56%
No 1/13s limitation with electronic shutter 1737.78%
Weather sealing 1942.22%
Touchscreen 920.00%
Articulated screen 1737.78%
Hybrid AF (like NEX-6 for continuous AF) 511.11%
A second dial (wheel) 1533.33%
EVF in body 2248.89%
A bigger battery 1635.56%
Battery grip (optional, not in body) 715.56%
Dual SD Card Slot 12.22%
WiFi 1942.22%
GPS 817.78%
+ Megapixels 36.67%
+ FPS 511.11%
+ Size 36.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
So fix some of the things that currently limit it. Better battery life, better AF,
The battery life isn't bad, but it could be better... Have you tried the AF since the firmware update? The AF is pretty awesome now.

As good as the audio is with the built-in mic, I don't know how much improvement there would be by plugging in an external mic. A nice feature would be a low-gain option in the firmware which would cut the mic sensitivity to prevent clipping in extremely loud situations. My wife recently shot some video at a Richard Thompson concert & while I was astounded by how good the audio was, especially in a loud situation, there were a couple of spots in a couple of songs with minor clipping. Still... mighty good audio for a built-in mic.

I think a faster flash sync than 1/13th with the electronics shutter would be great, but I don't know if it's technically possible. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the Q.

06-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #17

No new features, for fear of size and weight bloating. I just want the larger sensor so my 01 and 03 become a little wider. Won't they have to remove the SR mechanism for the larger sensor to fit?

Ok, a faster electronic shutter scan time would be welcome, as it's not something that would come at the expense of extra bulk.
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I didn't vote, though a few items might be worthy if they were changed, some just slightly.

What I would like is a higher res LCD, an optional high quality, fast refresh EVF, a second e-dial if implemented well (like concentric dial with a push on push off switch button. When the mode dial is locked, the outer concentric rotates independently and acts as an e-dial. When the mode dial is unlocked the outer concentric would rotate with the mode dial and allow changes in the mode). I would also like to see some much needed work on the flash protocols. They really need to be brought up to at least industry standards for a digital camera with a hot shoe. The rest of the suggested features are either irrelevant to me or potential negatives because they would force growth in the body size. A battery grip that extended the body to the right side might be nice, since gripping the camera with the right hand is difficult with a K2Q adapter in place, but it would need another type of battery to allow it to be a reasonable shape.

For my main purposes, a change to 1/1.7" is a downgrade, or at best a horizontal movement with no real upside. IQ is only marginally better in this format from what I've seen, I'd lose over 20% in reach for adapted tele lenses, and the very significantly smaller market for cameras in this format means that they would command considerably less development for the sensors in the future. Up to last year, 1/1.7" format cameras were still using 10MP CCDs while 1/2.3 was into the second generation of BSI CMOS tech.

I would not buy a new body without a significant improvement in LCD res or an optional EVF (a nice one that's reasonably priced).

Scott
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about an ELECTRONIC LEVEL

Why is that not an option?

Like for serious, it's one thing I dearly miss from my K30. The LCD targeting reticle doesn't really cut it for making sure horizons and such are straight.

Also, I have actually used my K30's level to make sure shelves and tables and such are level. Surprisingly handy!

Things I voted for are articulated LCD, second dial, EVF in body, dual SD card slot, and WiFi.

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 06-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also like to see the return of the magnesium alloy body.

And I would like to see fewer pixels in the larger sensor to help with low light performance.

I think some kind of portable, easy-to-use LCD hood that would make it usable in bright daylight would be great as well.
06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

Like for serious, it's one thing I dearly miss from my K30. The LCD targeting reticle doesn't really cut it for making sure horizons and such are straight.

Also, I have actually used my K30's level to make sure shelves and tables and such are level. Surprisingly handy!

Things I voted for are articulated LCD, second dial, EVF in body, dual SD card slot, and WiFi.
Earl
Check Polaroids Website,they have a really neat 4way electronic Level that fits the flash shoe.
06-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The Q can fire manual flash, the trick is to turn flash off in camera, I know, doesn't make sense, but it works.
After a little more experimenting, it seems that my flashes (Yongnuo 460 II) will fire when actually placed in the hotshoe. However, I NEVER use flashes in the camera hotshoe, and my flash triggers (Yongnuo RF603s and Hahnel Vipers) unfortunately won't fire from the hotshoe. I've no idea what the difference is - they work absolutely fine on my Canons.
06-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

The level is a nice feature already on the MX-1, I'd be surprised if it didn't find its way into the Q7. In the meantime, I have a bubble level in my hotshoe most of the time.

06-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I voted weather sealing, extra wheel and faster electronic shutter, but the things I'd really like are proper user modes (all settings controllable from the front side dial) and an orientation sensor. User modes are firmware only, so there's really no downside to providing it.
06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well... the Q7 was anounced today, and everyone like it, but it haven't any of the seven most important things we want:
No 1/13s limitation with electronic shutter
Weather sealing
Articulated screen
A second dial (Wheel)
EVF in body
A bigger battery
WiFi

So... Q7 it's not what we want... but we liked too!

06-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #26

Looks like it does have the electronic level?
(See http://www.pentax.jp/japan/news/2013/20130613_3.html)
06-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
So it says. I assume that means I won't have to manually rotate my portrait orientation images any more either. Then I just have to hope the quick dial lets me set proper user modes and I'm all set. (The description mentions controlling AF and focus assist, neither of which I think the current Q lets me control there, so there's certainly hope.)
06-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #28

Sucks that basically none of the features we wished for is coming with the Q7 (aside from electronic level... woo!). I really wished it had a new body though, specially a magnesium alloy one...