Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you want to be the Q7?
Microphone input 920.00%
PC-Sync 715.56%
No 1/13s limitation with electronic shutter 1737.78%
Weather sealing 1942.22%
Touchscreen 920.00%
Articulated screen 1737.78%
Hybrid AF (like NEX-6 for continuous AF) 511.11%
A second dial (wheel) 1533.33%
EVF in body 2248.89%
A bigger battery 1635.56%
Battery grip (optional, not in body) 715.56%
Dual SD Card Slot 12.22%
WiFi 1942.22%
GPS 817.78%
+ Megapixels 36.67%
+ FPS 511.11%
+ Size 36.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

What features you want to add to the Q7?

The Q will have a better sensor of 1/1.7" (pro point&shoot size). So probably the Q7 will be the sucessor of Q.

I want a "Pro Q". A camera for work, but smaller, lighter and smarter than a DSLR.
I want see five things in Q7:

EVF in body (for use a flash in hotshoe)
Battery Grip (for 2 or 4 batterys and better ergonomy)
Articulated screen
Microphone input
+ FPS

Last edited by ElvisQ; 06-09-2013 at 08:59 PM.
06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
The Q will have a better sensor of 1/1.7" (pro point&shoot size). So probably the Q7 will be the sucessor of Q.

I want a "Pro Q". A camera for work, but smaller, lighter and smarter than a DSLR.
I want see five things in Q7:

EVF in body (for use a flash in hotshoe)
Battery Grip (for 2 or 4 batterys and better ergonomy)
Articulated screen
Microphone input
+ FPS
Those features all sound great, but do you think it's reasonable to expect them in a palm sized camera? At best, IMO we'll get an evf. But given the fact that Pentax has been taking baby steps lately, my hopes aren't high.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

I really want an EVF!
Really love my Q10 but I miss the viewfinder so badly sometimes. And also would like to see a better battery. Already have 2 spare but thinking of picking up 2 more...
06-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Touchscreen for AF selection + shutter will make Q even more fun to use, although I'm not sure how bad it would be without another axis of SR. Maybe just for selection I guess.

06-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Touchscreen for AF selection + shutter will make Q even more fun to use, although I'm not sure how bad it would be without another axis of SR. Maybe just for selection I guess.
Instead of EVF, I would like a recessed LCD with a quick attach hood. Why cant camera makers design something like this. Will keep the cost down, and really, how often do you need an EVF, for this size of a camera. Bigger sensor is definitely step in right direction. I would like to have them 70mm prime using optimized optical components from 70mm limited and sell it for like $300.
06-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I chose:
No 1/13s limitation with electronic shutter
Hybrid AF (like NEX-6 for continuous AF)
A second dial (wheel)
WiFi

I think all these points makes sense in a tiny exchangeable lens camera. WR is too much to ask for in my eyes but I would'nt say no to it. I doubt that a good EVF in the body would be impossible without seriously increasing the size, making it almost m4/3 like and it loses a lot of the charm. Instead I would like an external option but it wasn't on the list at all.
06-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Adding an EVF would make using telephoto lenses more practical. This is one area the Q could really shine, due to the size and weight of lenses.

06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1/13 is the worst! I'd like to see the larger sensor and a wifi finder/shutter release would be great for skittish birds. Improved quality with the electronic shutter would be great.
06-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Built-in WiFi would be awesome! I'd love to be able to shoot my Q in the rain but I don't think Pentax would take their time to weather seal all the existing Q lenses...

EVF in body I think is a little too much to ask for considering how small and cramped the Q is, I would rather have an optional articulating external EVF like the one on the Ricoh GXR and Sony NEX.

06-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
WMW

I just got my Q + 02 & 04 two days ago, and so far it has been a hoot! It is the most fun I've had with a camera in a long, long, while. As for what I'd like to have in the next generation... better battery life most of all. My second choice would be for a higher resolution lcd. [Was this addressed in the Q10?]

Weather sealing would be nice, but honestly, the camera and lens could fit into a sandwich bag! Okay, maybe a large ziplock bag. All the same, it is usable with some ingenuity without dedicated WR.

A "tunnel" optical viewfinder is doable. Canon has done this with the A1200 -1400 series, as well as the 'G' series; Nikon accomplished it with their P7000 and later models. Its not a perfect solution but its better than relying on the lcd. An evf would be ideal but would require more advanced electronics as well as a dedicated port, ala Panasonic LX or Olympus XZ models. Ricoh certainly has the technology to do it. The GXR and GR(D) series are proof. How much extra bulk would be needed? Would it still be the world's smallest and lightest interchangeable camera?
06-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Gotta keep the small and fun factor! That is what the Q is about!
So fix some of the things that currently limit it. Better battery life, better AF, better flash sync.
2nd dial and Wifi would definitly add to its fun, considering I run mine RAW+ and can sometimes want to share right away.
Maybe with the wifi they can create a fun remote access app for smart phones.
06-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #12

I'd like to see it fire generic manual flash triggers, instead of insisting on there being a P-TTL flash attached to the hotshoe for it to fire.
And I would really like some sort of viewfinder to use with the 02 zoom (and sure I would with the 06 zoom if I have it), whether hotshoe fitted or EVF (though I wouldn't want the latter to add to the size of the Q).
06-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What I really miss, which is not on your list, is a remote shutter release socket with half press for lenses with auto focus.

Other things are an EVF, may be as a plug in extra, HDMI to show the rear screen not just the playback.

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I'd like to see it fire generic manual flash triggers, instead of insisting on there being a P-TTL flash attached to the hotshoe for it to fire.
And I would really like some sort of viewfinder to use with the 02 zoom (and sure I would with the 06 zoom if I have it), whether hotshoe fitted or EVF (though I wouldn't want the latter to add to the size of the Q).
The Q can fire manual flash, the trick is to turn flash off in camera, I know, doesn't make sense, but it works.

Chris
06-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #14

I agree with the others that they need to keep the camera small. However, Panasonic have shown that you can fit a small EVF onto a camera with the DMC-LF1, without increasing the size significantly. I only have the prime and fisheye lens, but I can't ever see myself buying or using a telephoto lens like the 06 without the stability of being able to hold the camera to my eye.
06-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
AOX
Inactive Account

I want the Magnesium Alloy Body back from the first Q! I liked the Design of the first Q the most. An external EVF would be great and of course a bigger battery. I sold my Q some months ago and got a Sony HX20V, because of the slow AF. I heard that the AF improved a lot since the last update and if this new Q7 will have nice AF perfomance and the IQ of the MX-1, I may go back